Questions: Shadow Rift fractures & the Hammer of Fey

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Questions: Shadow Rift fractures & the Hammer of Fey

Post by cure »

Ryan Naylor author of the Shadow Rift entry in Gazetteer V speaks in interview in the editorials section of various means of entering the Shadow Rift, one, credited to Doctor Who, being "going down". But I have found only a cave in Tepest and mineworks from Keening. Did I simply miss the others? What are they?Also baffling/under-explained is the loss of memory associated with the use of a fracture. Can this game mechanic even be made to work as written?

Equally, the Van Ritchen Guide to the Shadow Fey begins with a fascinating discussion of a Fey possessed/haunted book titled the Hammer of Fey in the possession of the good doctor and presumably afterwards the twins. Yet nothing more is done, unless I again missed it, with this fascinating item when it would have been a natural for references throughout the guide or even for the final encounter. Was such material cut?

Thanx,

cure
Last edited by cure on Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

As far as the fractures go, I think that saying there are multiple fractures is just a tool to allow the DM to put fractures wherever the heck s/he pleases for plot devices. :wink:

The memory loss mechanic was used in the 2e Shadow Rift mod (and was one of the only good things about that mod, too . . .). What it basically suggested was to have the characters enter the fracture, and then suddenly they're coming out of the fracture, missing a week's worth of food and with strange and unexplained changes to them. The paladin is wearing new armor, the bard is covered in bleeding bite marks and only has 5 hp left, the wizard is missing a page of spells from his spellbook but has a new one with different spells, the cleric is suffering from a minor horror effect . . . that sort of thing.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

It was cut. Along with another sidebar, I might add, which I was very pleased with.

The Hammer of Fey (I believe) is a role-playing idea that was never intended to be fleshed out canonically.