MotRD IN Ravenloft?!

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

MotRD IN Ravenloft?!

Post by Pandion »

I know I know this plan is something akin to sacreligious but remember rule #1, "the GM is always right." :wink:

I'm thinking about placing a small part of the MotRD world in the Ravenloft setting and giving it it's own domain. The crux of the campaign would be that something so evil, so aweful happened in this 1890s city that a corrupted copy of it was torn from the MotRD universe and placed in the Ravenloft world.

The campaign would basically entail having the PCs slowly discover they're not in Kansas anymore, and trying to discover what act was considered so evil that their little patch of MotRD dirt needed to be cut off from "normal" society.?

Any thoughts?
Waldi
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Waldi »

Hey, the idea is´nt bad !! I would suggest, that this act of ultimate evil happens in a very very small part of Gothic Earth. A haunted castle would be great !! Imagine the following: The SC´s are invited to a dinee-party on a remote mansion somewhere in Cornwall or Scottland. While the SC´s enjoy civilized entertainment on the party, the mysterious "soon-to-be-darklord" commits his hideous crime and the whole building is drawn to Ravenloft, more exactly, it becomes a pocket-domain within Mordent.
At first, the SC´s only notice the strange fog, that surrounds the mansion suddenly and go to bed without any suspect.
Now it is important, that the SC´s do not know the former area around the mansion. At the morning, everything seems to be fine and the SC´s decide to take a ride out (because of the beautyfull springweather or something)
So they leave the mansion (the domainborders are not closed) and take a ride. Soon, they enter a quiet little village. The signpost at the entrance tells the SC´s that the name of the Village is "Mordentshire".
The village seems to be backwards in a strange way - everything seems oldfashioned, the people talk english with a strange dialect and wear clothes made in a fashion-style, that is out of date since the days of old King George...it´s just like beeing carried back to the days of the napoleonic wars !! ;)
So, what do you say about this suggestion ?
May you live in interesting times !!
-ancient chinese curse
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

I think it could work, but it depends on who you do it. Dragging Chicago into the mists and plopping it down as a new domain in the core may create problems. For one, the new domain would be centuries more advanced than the rest of the core domains. Then how are all the Chicagonians going to react to all these elves and dwarves wandering around, let along all the magic.
It may be better if the new domain is an island in the mists, dragged from Gothic Earth. The characters can think that the city has been surrounded by mists, cut off from the rest of the Earth until some great wrong has been righted. Once the characters find the solution then maybe the city returns to GE or maybe just the characters.
As for an act of ultimate evil triggering it. I would not worry too much about finding the ultimate evil act. The dark powers don't seem too picky. Once you have found a good plot for the adventure, I would not worry if it was evil enough to trigger a trip to the mists. Just go with it.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pandion »

I'm thinking something the size of a city would be needed to have enough to work with for a campaign. It's not too big but not too small and the PCs would have some room to adventure in.

Perhaps an island can be used. I was thinking that the mists would keep out the undesirables while also keeping everyone in. The Vistani would be the exception but I dont think they'd totally be out of place. But even if elves and dwarves were allowed in they could be part of the plot. Cause if elves and dwarves got in then who knows what else got in? bwahaha
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

Another option could be to update the one Gothic Earth domain already in Ravenloft: Odiare. Perhaps the little Italian town from which it came was the site of a toy factory, and perhaps it entered the Mists in the 19th rather than 16th (I think) century.

Giuseppe could then be altered to have been an exploited employee of the former factory owners, and a child labor twist could be interesting if Maligno needs a workforce to produce his carrionettes...
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]