PREVIEWS FOR EtCR RELEASED!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

It should be noted that the adventure also includes rules for using a standard deck or a tarot deck, and rules for using the Tarokka can be found in DRAGON #348.

Matthew L. Martin
Last edited by Matthew L. Martin on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

There are several places where the old books tell how to "translate" cards from a standard playing-deck, or possibly even Tarot cards, into Tarokka or vice versa. Assuming the fortune-telling scene in EtCR also describes an option using normal playing cards, it shouldn't be hard to stage the scene with Tarokka cards instead.

Hmmmm... maybe that could be something for a near-future QtR article: DM advice on adapting EtCR to Arthaus-based Ravenloft campaigns, such as replacing Three Dragon Ante with Tarokka or making their "Madame Eva" an imposter who's impersonating the real one.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Gwenfloor wrote:There is nothing wrong with that, every corporation needs money. It just came as a shock to me that they did not include the classic Tarokka Deck.
Why would they? The Tarokka is a part of the campaign setting and this is pure, 100%, undiluted I6. Just updated with shiny new rules.
I wounder why they didn't have the options to use a deck of playing cards for the Tarokka deck, like the original. What is this Three Dragon Ante anyway??
Last edited by midnightcat on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

Matthew L. Martin wrote:It should be noted that the adventure also includes rules for using a standard deck or a tarot deck, and rules for using the Tarokka can be found in DRAGON #248.

Matthew L. Martin
wow!!! That sounds so much better. How old is that magazine?? what number is Dragon Magazine at now??
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

I think he ment #348. My 248 has no mention of this article. And you can get back issues fairly cheep straigh from WOTC as long as they are less then ten or so issues past.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Yep, 348--the issue on newsstands right now, with a "Core Beliefs: Vecna" article and an article on RAVENLOFT spells.

Matthew L. Martin
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

3 Dragon Ant eis a card game introduced by WotC which is a reproduction of a card game played "in-game" in D&D. Supposedly, it is a popular card game among the fantasy worlds of D&D.

You can play it alone- its not a bad game. But you can also use it in game for gambling, and obviously, fortune-telling.

The harping on the tarokka is a little weak, though. Like it was said before, this is I6, not Ravenloft. I think people are looking for things not to like about it.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Luke Fleeman wrote:The harping on the tarokka is a little weak, though. Like it was said before, this is I6, not Ravenloft.
Very true. Besides which, there's at least one "canon" precedent for the notion that Tarokka cards aren't the only fortune-telling cards ever employed in Ravenloft: in VotM, Madame Eva's granddaughter tells Jander's fortune using a Tarot deck.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Luke Fleeman wrote:3 Dragon Ant eis a card game introduced by WotC which is a reproduction of a card game played "in-game" in D&D. Supposedly, it is a popular card game among the fantasy worlds of D&D.

You can play it alone- its not a bad game. But you can also use it in game for gambling, and obviously, fortune-telling.

The harping on the tarokka is a little weak, though. Like it was said before, this is I6, not Ravenloft. I think people are looking for things not to like about it.
Forgive me for being pessimistic. Whenever a new version of a beloved old version of a game, book, or movie is released, you always have some fan complaining about the smallest difference in the material, from a mis-spelled word to new features. From what I saw of the adventure, I love it. Not only may it get FR and Eberron fans to see the adventure, it may also attract other D&D players to Ravenloft.
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Looking at that picture of Strahd I now know what a giant enraged Keebler elf with a blood deficiency will look like.. Thanks :P

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

maraudar wrote:Looking at that picture of Strahd I now know what a giant enraged Keebler elf with a blood deficiency will look like.. Thanks :P

Maraudar
Come on... It's not that bad... It's just... Sissy. :P
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Well, the picture does seem to be of a stylish young elven vampire, rather than a brooding middle-aged human vampire.

Other than that, it's great. :roll:

The picture as a picture is fine; I just think it's a lousy match to the written description given (not to mention a lousy match to what we might call the "historic" Strahd).
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

I am going to have to get this book just for the extra info alone. Stuff I don't like I can ignore. I have the original madam eve's stats from Gaz 1 if I ever get a chance to ever run this in 3rd edition. Besides "HOUSE OF STRAHD" was Castle Ravenloft ever converted to 2nd edtion any other way?? I would love to own "House of Strahd" but I can't find it anymore, and I have two players that won't switch to 3rd edition, and I own all the Ravenloft 3rd edition books.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

midnightcat wrote:I I would love to own "House of Strahd" but I can't find it anymore
I picked up House of Strahd on eBay for 5 bucks not long ago. It typically goes for a little more.

But this book is probably a little easier to find.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

House of Strahd can still be bought as a PDF download, if every other effort fails. :)