Penalties for The Caress?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Pariah wrote: If I myself could potentially walk down the path of darkness as well, then I'd probably be worried more about where my new found powers are coming from...
That too... not a very pleasant question. Probably an ambitious character wouldn't tie his new found powers (once he/she discovers them) with the crime she did.

Some boons are even difficult to notice. Think of a +2 bonus to bluff. A woman could spend her whole life and not notice that she is more seductive than she used to be before she killed her husband once he suspected she was seducing the young servant.
The same goes for penalties. The same woman could get a -2 to fortitude saves to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, or an increased chance to get pregnant with an unwanted child from her many lovers. She could spend her whole life thinking she is just very unlucky.

Still with boons that can be noticed easily, say ability to use charm person once per day... Questions would rise. Many evil people will ignore these questions in their ambitions but evil doesn't necessarily mean unwise.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

And the fact that the character in question is a necromancer means there is probably a level of hubris, and that he did notice. He probably knows something weird is happening, but assumes his training will let him handle it. And this is yet another way to mess with him.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Luke Fleeman wrote: He probably knows something weird is happening, but assumes his training will let him handle it.
:twisted:

"Just a bit of magic, and I'll change my eyes back to normal..."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

alhoon wrote:
Luke Fleeman wrote: He probably knows something weird is happening, but assumes his training will let him handle it.
:twisted:

"Just a bit of magic, and I'll change my eyes back to normal..."
But, do you really, really want to apply contact lenses forged from forbidden magic and dark flame to your eyes? Things like that are almost as bad and unhealthy as that extra-strength botox they use for stubborn frown-lines.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Where does one get these lenses?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

"Soullenss Crafter"
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula