Two Dukkar?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I'm pretty sure that it's stated outright in VRGttVistani that a Vistani seer can't foretell her own death. I suppose that predictions of events other than her own death might be fair game, and a Vistana who was really determined to learn her future fate could ask another Vistana to foretell how she'll die; forecasting their own demise, however, isn't within a seer's power, assuming we take the VRG's word for it. And if we throw that out as questionable information, we'd be back to knowing nothing about the Vistani whatsoever.

Of course, since the infant boys in the scenario I propose, above, all did die -- killed by their own tribes -- then the self-blindness/reincarnation connection would still be valid. Raunie looks at newborn baby, is blind to his fate (because he's her own reincarnation and is about to die), brands him a Dukkar and immediately orders his death.

Rozaleen, IIRC, was predicting the future for her captors, not (or at least not exclusively) for herself. It's also possible that her psychic blindness to her own death was lifted, under the circumstances, because she had already accepted the fact that she wasn't getting out of the manor alive, hence was no longer in denial.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wow, I never thought of it like that before. But the passage in question could really be read either way (VRGttV, p80). I always just assumed their blindness applied to all Vistani. In some ways I like my version better. "Our Sight is blind to all of our own people" seems simpler and more thematic than "Each vistana's Sight is blind to her own self, and to Dukkars" which seems oddly nitpicky to me.

But the latter way makes a bit more sense in some cases. (Like Isabella Adderre's prediction that Gabby could never have a child without disaster ensuing) But Rozaleen still seems a bit shady (as much as I love that adventure). You might say she foresaw the horrible acts that Ashington would do, and not her own fate, and she just assumed she would be the victim. But that might be pushing it.

I'd be interested to see Steve Miller's take on it, since he worked on TEE, VRGttV, and Ashington Manor. Steve, you reading this?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Was just looking back on this thread and saw that I killed it. :) Wonder if Steve is around now to answer the question. Mr. Miller, paging Mr. Miller? :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

This is a fine thread, and some good ideas got thrown around. I'd like to hear some answers too.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Not much to add, except to echo others' encouragement, and also to note:

Don't forget that people born with albinism tend to have poor eyesight. The lack of iris pigmentation means that their eyes tend to oversaturate, and so as babies their brains never really develop the proper ability to interpret vision as well as normally-pigmented people.

The symbolic importance of this could be quite compelling. Imagine an albino, unable to see his surroundings, but able to see the future. (Perhaps giving him an animal familiar might help somewhat?)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Wow,
I had started this post a year ago, and here it is again. Thats crazy.
You know, I still love this idea, but unfortunatley have yet to incorporate it into my game. I had all but forgotten about this post.
Thanks guys, for bringing it back.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

gonzoron wrote:Wow, I never thought of it like that before. But the passage in question could really be read either way (VRGttV, p80). I always just assumed their blindness applied to all Vistani. In some ways I like my version better. "Our Sight is blind to all of our own people" seems simpler and more thematic than "Each vistana's Sight is blind to her own self, and to Dukkars" which seems oddly nitpicky to me.
I think your interpretation is right.

Core Rules, p204: The Vistani as a whole are unable to see their own past and future with any clarity.