Wolf Chain

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wolf Chain

Post by Ail »

Another question to you all. Is there anywhere in canon a chain wrought specifically to contain a lycanthrope?

If I were to make such an item, say a masterwork silver chain that contains a spell 'Suppress Lycanthropy', how much would it cost?

Regarding this spell, it exists in Domains of Dread, but I don't know if it made the cross to 3.x. I think it would fit very well, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks all.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

I'm not sure on the cost, but Suppress Lycanthropy is in VRA. I'm not sure if it's the one your looking for though.
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Speaking of Van Richten's Arsenal, I believe the Amulet of the Beast kept a shapechanger from changing, but the lycanthrope was in no way prevented from removing the amulet, so it only works with willing subjects.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Malus Black wrote:Speaking of Van Richten's Arsenal, I believe the Amulet of the Beast kept a shapechanger from changing, but the lycanthrope was in no way prevented from removing the amulet, so it only works with willing subjects.
So you can chain him, then pass the amulet.

Or pass the amulet, then chain him? :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

My advice, calculate how much the enchantment costs (from the amulet), then how much a chain of silver would cost, then add, perhaps with a slight increase.

I'd do it myself, but I'm pressed for time today.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Well, I added a twist. The chain prevents the shapechanging, but causes pain and 1d3 non-lethal damage per hour. Also, if this lasts for a whole night, the affected person can not rest, with implications for fatigue and arcane spellcasters.... may be too nasty, but it will be for the PCs to weigh the pros and cons.... especially because they don't know the trigger and may overdo it at the start for excess of zeal... :twisted:

No time for more details, but I think it will be interesting if they keep it.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Well, if it's silver, then a lycan with the silver allergen may be off quite badly.

Actually, you might want to make it so that the chain has to be made from whatever the allergen of the Lycan is. So cold iron chains, gold chains, wooden chains (carved links). Could be interesting, and utilizes existing mechanics. (as well as force the PCs to do more research). But this is only if its a relatively minor magic item. If its more on the lines of a CL 15+ item, you should make it a general lycan item (that turns into the allergen perhaps?)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Please do note that there are two different kinds of "The Amulet of the Beast."
The Silver Amulet of the Beast prevents a lycanthrope, whether cursed, infected or true, from changing shape so long as it's on his persons, though he's under no magical obligation to keep it on himself.
The Ivory Amulet of the Beast adheres/binds to a person and transforms him into a werebeast of some sort, and only remove curse or similar magics can change him back.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I believe the werewolf in one of the short stories from Tales of Ravenloft, chains himself with a mundane silver chain each evening - or perhaps it was a rope with silver intertwined. It was either in the story with the paladin/werewolf or the one about our favorite monster hunter Ivan Dragonov.

As for other items: there's also the wolf's paw (keeps Lycanthropes at bay or was it only werewolves?) and the Moon Silver ring, which acts as a silver amulet of the beast. Both from VRA.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

The Wolf's Paw was an enchanted wolf's paw stuffed with wolfsbane that magically repells all canine creatures, be it dogs, wolves, werewolves, wolfweres, jackals, jackalweres, vampires in wolf forms, and apparently, even gnolls and hyenas, nevermind that hyenas are more related to mongooses and cats.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Gemathustra wrote:The Wolf's Paw was an enchanted wolf's paw stuffed with wolfsbane that magically repells all canine creatures, be it dogs, wolves, werewolves, wolfweres, jackals, jackalweres, vampires in wolf forms, and apparently, even gnolls and hyenas, nevermind that hyenas are more related to mongooses and cats.
Guess the spellcaster who designed that magic item failed a Knowledge [Nature] check. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Gemathustra wrote:The Wolf's Paw was an enchanted wolf's paw stuffed with wolfsbane that magically repells all canine creatures, be it dogs, wolves, werewolves, wolfweres, jackals, jackalweres, vampires in wolf forms, and apparently, even gnolls and hyenas, nevermind that hyenas are more related to mongooses and cats.
A Wizard Did It (TM)
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

If you are playing 3.5, just use the spell as written for 3.0 and the Miscellaneous magical item design entries to design it. There is an 'always active' entry for the spells. Add onto a masterwork mancales or chain, and then silver it with DMG rules. You got yourself a chain.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

You're right, I found it at last. I had been flipping the pages back and forth in my book looking for that table. I was really looking for that table much earlier than its real place. There is a section for shields, swords, armor, etc, and all of them explain how to compute price, at least from tables. But the one for wondrows items I guess appears only on a summary of the whole chapter, so I really thought during the first readings that the table did not exist.

But thanks anyway.

It did provide some amusement in my campaign. One of my PCs failed a horror check and has nightmares every night. Two others are lycanthropes, and the fourth male has a guard dog, now animal companion. So last session, they were in an inn and the four of them got a room while the girls got another. They chained both lycanthropes to the bedpost with that chain, so in the night the first PC awoke screaming several times with nightmares, one of the lycanthropes moaned all night from the pain (the other was unconscious and oblivious to pain) and finally the dog joined the chorus howling mournfully. They made such a noise that the innkeeper had to come silence them. He opened the room and saw two men chained like dogs, another screaming like mad, a dog howling, and the fourth one looking at all the cacophony with incredulous eyes.

When the owner of the dog decided to change rooms, he knocked at the girls' door. They were so asleep that he banged and cried, and the poor innkeeper, awoken by the second time in the same night, with miserably drowsy eyes, thought that the only way to get some peace was to take that PC downstairs and drink with him until morning. In the morning, his wife expelled the PC from the inn and gave the husband a beating to top it.

We did laugh for a long while. I myself had never laughed so much in a game sessions.

Alex
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Sounds like everything worked out just fine then, huh?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche