Creating atmosphere/mood: fog machine?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
nabziF
Conspirator
Conspirator

Creating atmosphere/mood: fog machine?

Post by nabziF »

I've read many ideas for generating the desired atmosphere for gaming (music/sound effect, lighting, temperature, props, etc). I was wondering if anyone had ever used a fog machine to help set the mood for a game session. Please reply with details on physical placement, timing used, etc. Specifically, did you do anything to "hide" the fogger so that it wasn't obvious where the fog was coming from? (I'm considering getting one but I have no idea how noisy they are so it might be a moot point.)

I'm imagining a setup where chilled fog would pour onto the gaming table from somewhere (from above perhaps?), and roll over the edges. Anyone know if if the typical 400 watt machines output too much fog for such a setup?

I suppose one could use dry ice for a similar effect...anyone use that by the way?

Thanks!
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

If you have a local Family dollar or Dollar General type store look for the misting fountain. For around $15 you get this little device you can set into any pool of water from 3 to 7 inches deep and it creates a steady bank of 2 inch thick fog over the water. A little drilling to make a hole in the side for the cord (it has a rubber stoped allready put on it) and you could turn any cheep plastic culdron left over from holloween into a quick fog maker for a lot less then a fog machine and constant fluid.

As fog use: It can be placed on your lap (its silent) with a black cloth over the top (most have some sort of lights on the pump) and with a single breath the fog can be blown up and around your face in a dramatic manor.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin