Vrykolakas

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Vrykolakas

Post by Spiteful Crow »

What are real life legend/myth/superstition/whatever are Vrykolakas based off of?
Shadow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadow »

I think the Vyrolakas are based off Greek legend. However, I can't give you any more details.
In the darkness of night look toward the stars
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I'm pretty sure they're based on Eastern European vampire traditions that are, well, more traditional than Dracula (much less Anne Rice's creations). I'm not quite sure where the tongue thing comes from, though.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:I'm not quite sure where the tongue thing comes from, though.
The long spiky tongue reminds me a little of the penanggalan or aswang, though why there'd be elements of Malay or Filipino mythos in there is beyond me.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

You are quite right. It is Greek. The original term was Vorvolika. They were supposedly plague spreading spirits that drained life force from mortals that fell pray to thier illness.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Vrykolakas are a freewheeling mix of traits from various folkloric vampires, which, yes, generally come from eastern and southeastern Europe. Likewise, the name is a mix of various revenant names. Check out Paul Barber's Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality for a treasure trove of lore.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

When in doubt, ask Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrykolakas
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

God I love Wikipedia. I know I shouldn't, and it's rather weak on scholarship, but it has so much information, and so easy to access.

I personally always assumed they were classic Vamps like the Nosferatu of Lugosi fame. Guess not.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

NeoTiamat wrote:God I love Wikipedia. I know I shouldn't, and it's rather weak on scholarship, but it has so much information, and so easy to access.

I personally always assumed they were classic Vamps like the Nosferatu of Lugosi fame. Guess not.
You can also read 'the vampire: his kith and kin' at this address
http://www.sacred-texts.com/goth/index.htm.

It describes traditional vampires and a lot of things of Greek tradition reminded me of the Vrykolakas. Even the name was not that far, though I don't quite remember (I read this 5 or 6 months ago).

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

NeoTiamat wrote:God I love Wikipedia. I know I shouldn't, and it's rather weak on scholarship, but it has so much information, and so easy to access..
Actually, they did a recent study and determined that wikipedia contained less errors than the Encyclopedia Britannica. Not only that, but the information is better monitored.

And there are some very smart people on there; the group nature actually can help the scholarship.

Then again, never take anything at face value. Nothing shoudl ever be your only point of research.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche