Poor domains.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Little Ole Me
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Little Ole Me »

That would fit Saragoss to a tee. I love that domain because it's so brutal and vicious and, barring sea zombies, sahuagins, and other sea monsters aside, most of the terrors in that domain stem from the inhuman cruelty people would do just to survive. From stealing to cannibalizing your own friends, Saragoss has it all. You have nowhere to run and no one to trust. A good DM can create a campaign here that will give the players nightmares for some time, I think.

But yes, you can't do much here other than to survive. Even the Darklord is at the mercy of the land since he can't breathe out of water and he has little control over his subjects.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Gwenfloor wrote:Someone should find a replacement domain for I'Cath. Chinese folklore is full of ideas, enough to base an entire campaign off of. In my campaign, I put several settlers in I'Cath after the PCs killed the Darklord, and thus evolved into a powerful empire.
Hear hear. I'Cath was an awful domain. For a culture with a continuous history of just under 6000 years and which has encompassed a greater portion of human individuals than any other, I'Cath is to be frank a pretty crappy representation. It seems like it's basically comprised of a cliche piled on top of a stereotype with a generous injection of banality. Forget Chinese philosophy, martial arts, technology, and culture - hell, just throw in a few trees and five female Asian man-eaters and it'll tide us over until they come up with a domain where the sole inhabitant is a toilet flushing itself repeatedly.

It seems Arthaus wisely decided to sweep this reeking horror under their retcon carpets when they got the license from Wizards.

*pauses for breath and to allow face stop turning blue*

There was an "Asianloft" thread around here somewhere where a few Asianophiles like myself tried to put together a more comprehensive "Eastern Core" type of continent. There was a large central Chinese-style empire formed of five separate domains, as well as a Manchu/Korean kingdom domain, a Mongolian steppe domain, and a series of humid southern jungle states (including a Guangdong/Canton style domain...thought not very flatteringly presented). There were also ninjas and pirates locked in a struggle for the Real Ultimate Power too, just in case that's important to anybody.

It's at http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=3331
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Don't post the link, why not bump it, instead?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula