Vistani Racial traits

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

FWIW, I think we've seen plenty of examples of ordinary Vistani -- i.e. not raunies, not darklings, not Zarovan, but just plain ol' vardo-dwelling men and women -- acting like regular people, with human flaws and vulnerabilities, particularly in the novels. IMO, it's not unreasonable to treat the average Vistana as "statable", while reserving the 'Mystery Factor' for those members of their culture who are supposed to be a lot spookier.

That being said, I wouldn't let a PC Vistana IMC, unless the player agrees that the character: 1) is one of the "ordinary" ones, not privy to raunie secrets and so on; and 2) has already suffered "static burn", thus forfeiting those racial powers that really do need to be reserved for NPCs.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
doctor-evil
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by doctor-evil »

Denizens of Dread have Vistani listed as having a level adjustment of +3. Presumably this is +1 for the ability adjustments and +2 for the evil eye ability.

Their ability bonuses are quite high for just a +1 adjustment, but then again they also have drawbacks (high OR) so I think it evens out.

Incidentally, the Denizens of Dread write up gives Vistani a +2 racial bonus to sense motive in addition to the +2 survival bonus, but no tasque related bonuses. I would argue that tasque bonuses listed above by Grand Master Magrum should be used and drop the +2 Sense motive bonus.

I allow Vistani PCs in my campaign, but my rule is that not all Vistani have the evil eye. Only special of "mist-touched" vistani do. These vistani also have the mist navigation feat and the static burn flaw.
Imagine a visitani caravan where everyone had the evil eye ability, everyone would be charming and counter charming their neighbours.... However, those that are "mist touched" tend to gravitate twoards leadership roles in vistani communities.

"Normal" vistani in my campaign (I had the same sort of viewpoint as Rotipher mentioned above) have the normal ability adjustment, racial bonuses and a level adjustment +1. I also give them the half-vistani moon madness flaw (rather than the static burn flaw).

I had thought that perhaps these "normal" vistani may gain the evil eye (and static burn/mist navigation) as the result of power check failures. Starting with the charm ability, then the fear ability etc.

If "normal" vistani don't have the same problems of static burn as "mist-touched" vistani, why do they keep moving? Easy - if the mist touched rule most vistani caravans, they force the nomadic nature of the tribes (ensured by the powers of the evil eye). Those that do not follow are expelled and are no longer considered vistani.

However, the Zorovan and their time slipping initiative modifying ability are a problem. Are there "normal" Zorovan's? I'd make all Zarovan's "mist touched".

Finally, in my campaign I've switched the Canjar's wizard preferred class for the artificer (from the Eberron campaign setting). If the Canjar are the masters of making magical trinkets, wards and charms, being an artificer I think gives this ability more than a wizard.

Also the Player Handbook 2's beguiler class is a great class for vistani PCs/NPCs. Likewise the spellthief and the lurk (Complete Psionicist), if you want to throw something a little different at your players.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Mangrum wrote:
I think you're thinking that the Vistani have a +0 level adjustment. They don't; it's "—," or no level adjusment, just like undead have no Constitution score, not Con 0.

In other words, they simply aren't appropriate for PCs.
I agree; but anytime someone begins statting up a race, there is inevitably someone wanting to make them a PC race. So its worth mentioning, for those who dare to try it.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche