Howls in the Night

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Howls in the Night

Post by Joël of the FoS »

My players are currently in Mordent and I’m considering throwing Howls in the Night at them. I’ve always liked this short side trek, but never had the opportunity to play it.

Anybody did DM or play this? What did you like / dislike? Did you change something?

I’m also trying to find a way to insert the adventure more in the Mordent mood, perhaps tying the ghost story with another. Perhaps a way to tell Godefroy’s tale to spook the players? Ideas welcomed!

And I believe the Bog Hound and the Moor Hound have never been adapted to 3e. Ideas and suggestions again welcomed.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I've played it. My advice: ditch the mermaid. :)
Joël of the FoS

A mermaid? You mean the tavern?

Jo
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Autolykos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Autolykos »

When I used that module, I ditched the first part in the town. I started the players off traveling through Mordent and their road took them through a bog - that is when the howling began! After being 'herded' a bit by the bog hounds, they encountered the groundskeeper guy and then carried on from there.

It worked out well, I think. I never liked those stock beginnings, anyhow - "You are at the inn and the townsfolk need your help!" - seems kind of like railroading to me.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Howls in the Night

Post by Mangrum »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:And I believe the Bog Hound and the Moor Hound have never been adapted to 3e. Ideas and suggestions again welcomed.
I actually did adapt them for myself, but copyright yadda yadda yadda...
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Howls in the Night

Post by Ail »

Mangrum wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote:And I believe the Bog Hound and the Moor Hound have never been adapted to 3e. Ideas and suggestions again welcomed.
I actually did adapt them for myself, but copyright yadda yadda yadda...
I had the idea of running this adventure a while ago. I haven't yet, but it seemed to me back then there were hounds in some of the 3.x supplements that could with advantage replace the hounds in the origianl adventure. I don't remember the names, though :(

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Here's a nice article on 3.5 hounds.

What's special about the boghound/moorhounds? How do they differ from normal dogs in their 2E stats?
Joël of the FoS

They differ a lot as they are supernatural. The Moor Hound is created from a curse, as a guardian of the curse. The Bog Hounds is a mud / straw creature animated by the Moor Hound.

Joël
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:They differ a lot as they are supernatural. The Moor Hound is created from a curse, as a guardian of the curse. The Bog Hounds is a mud / straw creature animated by the Moor Hound.

Joël
Hmmm... I prefer the curse variant, but of course one can change the beast if one needs to. I don't remember which one was used in HoN but I do remember reading something about the straw made ones.

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

An alternative to a conversion might be to borrow the following undead 'Hollow' cainine: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20021021a
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Going to play the middle part of it next Sunday.

Yes, I ditched the mermaid inn part, indeed it was silly.

---

They now have saved the gardener from death by the hounds and have met Westcote. However, not trusting him completely, they went back to Mordentshire to rest after the battle with the hounds.

They will be back later to help him lift the curse.

I'm trying to integrate the new background info for Godefroy in the adventure, i.e. House on GHill being a magnet for ghosts. Perhaps the ghost in HitN is now insane from the constant pull of GHill, while she can't leave the bog area before the curse is lifted?

And when it is lifted, she diseappear, like dragged by an unknown powerful force, toward Mordentshire (G Hill) ?

Joël
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hey Joel,
How did it go?

I always wanted to take my players through Howls in the night, but the campaign ended before I could. I always envisioned them winning the manor and having a base of operations in Mordent (and them being rich rich rich in the bargain as well. ) but it never came to that unfortunately.

Anyway, I am interested in how it went.

Jennifer
Joël of the FoS

You'll see it soon in the journals :)

But unfortunately, the players changed their focus at the start of last session. They sent a message to Westcote "we'll be back later" ("anyway he's stuck with this curse for a long time, so a few weeks won't change a lot").

They came back to the "let's slay Timothy to save Varadan and Virevan (afflicted lycanthropes)" routine :)

But they will be back, Mwah hahah ;) It gives me time to fine tune the link I'd like to make with Godefroy (on which more is to be found in session 18 ;) )

Joël
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Hello.
I would like to have advices concerning howls in the night in order to play in 3.5 edition.
If u run this adventure i would like to know what stats u use for the monster and NPC.
I will play with my old players and they have still their olds characters from 2nd edition, they do a lot of modules but not this one, and their relatives with Van Richten.
They have a place to live in Mordent and one of the player is a cleric of the morninglord and mange to built a temple in Mordentshire.
Ahhh the old good time :lol:
Thanks for ur advices