Memoirs of a Vampire
33%

Total votes: 6

Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mists or memoirs?

Post by Scarycount »

I'm sure many of you have noticed the vast continuity erroers btween "Vampire of the Mists" and "Memoirs of a Vampire". Is there any official word on wich one is correct?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Memoires of a Vampire = I, Strahd?
The cure for what ails you
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

As "I, Strahd" is something Strahd wrote as a self-serving propaganda piece, most of the direct contradictions -- especially those which stroke his ego -- can be blamed on the Count's lying about (or even to) himself. We know for a fact that Strahd has re-written history several times, when it comes to the story of his fall; as VotM isn't told in the first person, but seems more like a "cut scene" flashback to actual events, it's a far better candidate for the truth.

That being said, references to Leo Dilisnya's plot have turned up in later (Dilisnya-related) sources, indicating that Leo's scheme to wipe out the Von Zaroviches really did take place. OTOH, Strahd conveniently leaves out the fact that he'd slaughtered a lot of the wedding guests himself, as is seen first-hand by PCs in the 5th Grand Conjunction module.

Strahd's lethal duel with Alek is highly questionable, as it's mentioned in "Lord of Necropolis" as well, from Alek's POV. Sine LoN was declared non-canon, it's pretty much up to the DM to choose whether Azalin went back in time and provoked that fight ... but even if he did, that need not contradict VotM, which describes Strahd's fall as it transpired before Azalin's time-traveling interference!
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow