ETCR author chat log

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

tec-goblin wrote:I still think that vistani with no evil eye and working too much as Stradh's lackeys is boring, but that's just a minor think. If you play it in Ravenloft, that's the easiest thing to correct (the whole "we are going to kill Stradh, who's CR<=15" is a lot worst).
Interesting possibility:

If you want to shoehorn EtCR into a Ravenloft campaign, but don't like how its gypsies are described, you could easily rule that this adventure takes place during the 60 years that the Vistani vanished from Barovia. This is a "canon" event, at least according to the novels, and took place at a time when Strahd's magical skills were much less, as per his lower class level in EtCR.

So what are the EtCR "Vistani" doing there? Simple: when the real Vistani vanished, a sneaky hag saw the chance to assume the missing Madame Eva's identity, taking advantage of the raunie's intimidating reputation. The hag recruited a bunch of riffraff to pretend to be Vistani, so their subsequent crime-spree would be shielded by Strahd's prohibition against harming gypsies ... at least, shielded from the Barovians, who don't realize the true Vistani ever left.

Naturally, when the real Vistani get back, that hag is going to find herself cursed until she glows, then evil-eyed in the dark. :wink: But until that happens, she gets to play "Eva" to her black heart's content.

Just a thought.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
tec-goblin wrote:I still think that vistani with no evil eye and working too much as Stradh's lackeys is boring, but that's just a minor think. If you play it in Ravenloft, that's the easiest thing to correct (the whole "we are going to kill Stradh, who's CR<=15" is a lot worst).
Interesting possibility:

If you want to shoehorn EtCR into a Ravenloft campaign, but don't like how its gypsies are described, you could easily rule that this adventure takes place during the 60 years that the Vistani vanished from Barovia. This is a "canon" event, at least according to the novels, and took place at a time when Strahd's magical skills were much less, as per his lower class level in EtCR.

So what are the EtCR "Vistani" doing there? Simple: when the real Vistani vanished, a sneaky hag saw the chance to assume the missing Madame Eva's identity, taking advantage of the raunie's intimidating reputation. The hag recruited a bunch of riffraff to pretend to be Vistani, so their subsequent crime-spree would be shielded by Strahd's prohibition against harming gypsies ... at least, shielded from the Barovians, who don't realize the true Vistani ever left.

Naturally, when the real Vistani get back, that hag is going to find herself cursed until she glows, then evil-eyed in the dark. :wink: But until that happens, she gets to play "Eva" to her black heart's content.

Just a thought.
I knew there was a reason you made in the Fraternity... You truly ARE a criminal mastermind! ;)
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: If you want to shoehorn EtCR into a Ravenloft campaign, but don't like how its gypsies are described, you could easily rule that this adventure takes place during the 60 years that the Vistani vanished from Barovia. This is a "canon" event, at least according to the novels, and took place at a time when Strahd's magical skills were much less, as per his lower class level in EtCR.
This I like very, very much. But I can't recall any reference to this in the novels. Which? Where?

Thanx.

(Now just account for the Dread Elf Pirate of Lake Bartak portraits of Stahd and we are in business. His niece brided the official painter?)
Last edited by cure on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cure for what ails you
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

From what I remember it was mentioned in King of The Dead and was related to the fact that Strahd captured and tortured a Vistani in his castle. After this they just took off and left.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

cure wrote:(Now just account for the Dread Elf of Lake Bartak portraits of Stahd and we are in business. His niece bribed the official painter?)
Maybe that's a Disguise Self spell he wears when he's out hunting for a bite to drink, so Barovians won't connect his depredations to their Count? :roll:

"Nah, that wasn't the Devil Strahd, it was some elvish rock star in a cheesy blue romance-novel-cover suit and press-on nails...."
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

An attempt to discredit the Morninglord perhaps? Or jealousy of Jander? Both?
The cure for what ails you
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Algaris wrote:From what I remember it was mentioned in King of The Dead and was related to the fact that Strahd captured and tortured a Vistani in his castle. After this they just took off and left.
Anyone remember when this did happen?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda