Moonchild PrC - mechanics question

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Moonchild PrC - mechanics question

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The Moonschild PRC class has a save to switch alignment when getting a new level (in the Savage Blood ability). An afflicted player is considering getting it, which is quite cool IMHO, and asked me these questions about the save.

1) do we know when the save is made - when he declares choosing it? Can short duration spells like Guidance can help him succeed the DC?

2) if one works, can protection from curses spell be of use (+4 to the save) ?

3) Is the save made before or after getting a level in Moonchild? i.e. do you add the Will bonus of the new level in Moonchild?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I wouldn't allow "special-circumstance" modifiers, unless somehow they extend over a period of days or weeks. I've always thought of taking a level in a class as a process, not an instantaneous decision.

You could go either way with the Moonchild bonus. I usually like to do these things in the order that's most advantageous to the PC (i.e., if the PC goes to 4th level and takes a +1 Intelligence increase that would give him more skill points for that level, he can do the ability increase first and then take his skill points), so I think it's reasonable to let him apply the Moonchild will bonus to the save.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That is also what I was aiming at: no, no, yes.

In the last session, they killed Nathan Timothy, who inflicted two of the PCs. One of them is going for a cure, the other one is going for Moonchild.

He asked me if getting rid of the progenitor gave him a bonus too. I think it's a good idea (+1 for self-confidence from this newly felt liberty?).

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Joël of the FoS wrote:He asked me if getting rid of the progenitor gave him a bonus too. I think it's a good idea (+1 for self-confidence from this newly felt liberty?).

Joël
I'd say to base it on his roleplaying. If he was roleplaying a character who seeks to control the inner beast to protect others from himself, then give the bonus.

However, if he was only concerned about being controlled by Nathan Timothy, and so he's not concerned about protecting others from the beast within (or perhaps even *revels* in the newfound power and sensations), I'd say make it a -1 penalty as he becomes the villain he fought against.

If he's going to try to harness the beast, using its potential evil in a way to protect others around him (which means he may lose control of it, or may start deluding himself as to exactly what he's becoming), you might want to apply a bonus/penalty of 1d4-2 to his roll (anywhere from a +2 bonus for his true focus on using this curse to help others to -1 penalty as the ounce of good causes him to ignore the pound of evil).
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"