There's an interesting RPG.net thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

There's an interesting RPG.net thread

Post by Brandi »

about alternate takes on Ravenloft.

I'm pretty sure the RPG Open forum is viewable by unregistered users, so check it out: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=298457
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

...That was really depressing :(
What poor poor players to have succumbed to a complete misappropriation of what the setting is all about.

I mean seriously...
I love the image of a two-fisted 20's science hero punching a liche and/or a vampire in the face.

"Quick, trusty lab assistant, hand me my Solar Pistol! Eat the sun's energy, you vampiric menace!"
I think I am going to go somewhere and weep, then laugh!
yergerjo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by yergerjo »

Horribly misguided people...they should be "mazed" by the Lady of Pain.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

That discussion is a marvelous example of why I never, ever, ever read fanfic for TV shows, movies, books, etc. :roll:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I dunno. I think it's kinda fun.

Weird, but fun. :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:I dunno. I think it's kinda fun.

Weird, but fun. :lucas:
But with Roti around, it's not just weird; it's dangerous. :)

(Or was your comment a coincidence and not a Gargoyles quote?)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Some wander far afield of the material, it's true, but consider this one:
My favorite concept was that Ravenloft was a demiplane created to act as a capstone for a realm that was far-far worse. In essence, it was the cork on a bottle of pure evil. Some of that evil seeps into Ravenloft, thus making it a demiplane of Dread... but what it contains is a demiplane of true Horror.

In other words, Ravenloft is what's keeping the Great Old Ones from rising. :D
This could be a fine seed for the ToUD, perhaps involving Bluetspur, or even better, the titanic and hardly-seen Gwydion...
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Brandi wrote:This could be a fine seed for the ToUD, perhaps involving Bluetspur, or even better, the titanic and hardly-seen Gwydion...
I've always thought Gwydion would be related to it. I mean, Time of Unparalleled Darkness and shadow fey? Gotta be related.

But I also agree, when reading all of the Cthulhu mythos references in the Kargatane netbooks, the thought of a slumbering giant that could destroy everything... Gwydion was really the only good Ravenloft entity to use in place of Cthulhu. Now we just need halfbreed mortals, corrupted scions of Gwydion roaming the land...

Of course, who really knows what The Revelations of the Prince of Twilight is about (Dragon #252)? Could the "Prince of Twilight" have been Loht, unknowing speaking perversions in the name of Gwydion, back when he'd mistakened Gwydion's voice for that of his father's? (cue creepy music)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:
Of course, who really knows what The Revelations of the Prince of Twilight is about (Dragon #252)? Could the "Prince of Twilight" have been Loht, unknowing speaking perversions in the name of Gwydion, back when he'd mistakened Gwydion's voice for that of his father's? (cue creepy music)
I know. :-)

Loht is one candidate for the 'Prince of Twilight'. The Gentleman Caller is another. Those two were my chief candidates, IIRC (it's been eight years since I wrote the article), but basically anyone with a sinister agenda and enough arcane knowledge would qualify as the duper of poor Renthorn. I never defined it clearly even in my own mind. I think it was written before I got a hold of The Shadow Rift, so the Gwydion element would be new, but it's workable.

As for the thread, it's not intended to be 'pure' Ravenloft--it's Ravenloft crossbred with other settings and concepts. I think there's a lot of fun in there.

Matthew L. Martin