How do you pronounce Strahd

Discussing all things Ravenloft
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

Charney wrote: Doesn't the German "ch" only sound like "r" or "k" when preceded by: "a" or "o" like the word "Achtung"?

Where's Rafael when we need him!
I'll try to help out, Rafael seems to ignore this thread :-).
No, 'ch' is always pronounced the same way (except when there's an 's' before, 'sch' is pronounced like the english 'sh'). I'm afraid neither english nor french have a similar sound. It's pronounced like the spanish 'j'. It's similar to the sound you make when you've got something stuck in your throat and try to dislodge it ;-). Something like an 'h' with a raspy edge to it.
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

A note: Earl is not an anglo-saxon title, but a norse one, imported by the Vikings and Dane, coming from Jarl.

But yeah, Count works.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Luke Fleeman wrote:A note: Earl is not an anglo-saxon title, but a norse one, imported by the Vikings and Dane, coming from Jarl.

But yeah, Count works.
Thanks, actually I thought it had something to do with titles such as Aeldorman and such, which are Saxon.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

"Stra-ad van Za-Ro-WITSH"

As far as I know, unless the original authors tell you explicitely that it is pronounced in another form, this would be the correct performance.

Studied phonology last year, so... Anyone proving me wrong will embarass me a lot. :oops:
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

CorvusCornix wrote:
Charney wrote: Doesn't the German "ch" only sound like "r" or "k" when preceded by: "a" or "o" like the word "Achtung"?

Where's Rafael when we need him!
I'll try to help out, Rafael seems to ignore this thread :-).
:shock: I am sorry...

I looked it up again: As for Strahd. since that one is basically a fantasy name, as far as I know (found hints that it could be Ukrainian, but no proof), one can really pick the pronunciation one likes best. (For me, either "Stra-ad", or "Strahd". (Though I would pronounce it "a" and not the typical Americna "ae". Like the double "o" in "blood".)

"von" German word for "of", would be pronounced "f" like in "free", "o" like in "cock" and "n" like in "nun", "f-o-n".

Now, Zarovich, being Russian word and meaning basically "relative of the emperor, prince", would be pronounced

"Z" like in "biz" (so, you see, a very weak z, almost an s), "a" like the Scots pronounce it, like the double "o" in "blood",, "r" like the Latinos pronounce it "rrrrrrrroling" :), "o" like in "on", "v" like in "video" "i" like in "is", "ch" like in "cheese". (To make it easier, I think it save to say that "vich" could be pronounced like "witch" or "which".)

So, Str-oo-d f-o-n S-oo-rrr-o-which.

I am not too good at phonology, but that should do, basically.

Too much science this morning... Need a drink.