New Ravenloft DM - advice requested

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DM Van Helsing
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by DM Van Helsing »

Ail wrote:
Luke Fleeman wrote:If you want more, go find the thread about the best modules; some good suggestions in there, too.
also, if you need a 3E conversion for the Effigy of Ivan Szimin, ask me. I've done one for my own campaign.

Alex
After perusing the "Best Modules" thread, I went and purchased the "Evil Eye" module and it's very promising. But I would need to convert it to 3e. Anyone done that already? Like all good DMs, I try to be as lazy as possible in areas I can be and therefore save myself time to concentrate on other areas that need greater attention.

Lon
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Malus Black wrote:
Ail wrote: The problem with The Haunted of Valcon Forest is that it suggests a very high CR challenge for me.
Not necessarily. The primary antagonists appear to be skeletons and zombies, mixed with a variety of forest creatures, possibly corrupted, with the main villain either the ghost of Velsar or the keep itself as a phantasmagoria.

Also, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft starts at level 5-7, and the PCs shouldn't be too far from that point by the beginning of the campaign.
You're right in that, but from what I recall, it is a whole community of undead and the amount of the things may make them nasty. Of course none of that is detailed in the article and people can add and take as they wish, but the spirits of the dead skeletons suggest spectres to me and these are far worse than low undead.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

DM Van Helsing wrote:
Ail wrote:
Luke Fleeman wrote:If you want more, go find the thread about the best modules; some good suggestions in there, too.
also, if you need a 3E conversion for the Effigy of Ivan Szimin, ask me. I've done one for my own campaign.

Alex
After perusing the "Best Modules" thread, I went and purchased the "Evil Eye" module and it's very promising. But I would need to convert it to 3e. Anyone done that already? Like all good DMs, I try to be as lazy as possible in areas I can be and therefore save myself time to concentrate on other areas that need greater attention.
Good choice, The Evil Eye is magnificent. I'm afraid you'll have to do a bit of conversion work, but not too much, as there aren't too many different monsters in the module. As for NPCs, Gabrielle and Malocchio are statted up in the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume IV (which is an excellent book, incidentally), and the Midnight Slasher is given a single stat line (Rogue 4/Avenger 4).
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe