Master Herbalist class

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Master Herbalist class

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Hey folks, I've got an Expert(Herbalist)/Bard in my campaign, and I'm always on the lookout for ways to play up the herbalist aspect of the character. The flora entries in the Gaz series went a long way to help, but I think I'd like to find a good herbalism-based prestige class for her. Does anything like this exist anywhere in non-RL sources?

The closest in Ravenloft seems to be the Alchemical Philosopher or the Learned Physician. Niether is really the right feel. (I thought Hallowed Witch might be good, but it's not quite right either, and requires divine casting)

If nothing exists, I'm willing to make something up. But I'm afraid I haven't got a clue where to start. What cool abilities could an herbalist have that aren't just replicating healing spells? Anyone want to help brainstorm? I'd definately want to include +1 level of spellcasting progression, since I don't think she'd ever take the class otherwise. Bards need all the spellcasting help they can get...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Since Ravenloft is a fantasy setting just about any healing or personaly effecting spell could have a plant, fungus or mold associated with it. Now it may take longer to prepare the drink or poltice to put on the wound but the two big bonus to that is the herb will work in any location even those that normal magic will not work and secondly applying a mash of herbs and water to a wound is excepted in nearly every location in Ravenloft while flashy magic is not.

Just about every 'Target: one creature/person' spells could also have a easly made herbal formula. Charm person is just a strong inhabition inhibitor with a mild toxin that stuns the center of the brain that controls doubt. Sleep is just a very heavy anistetic. Hold person is made from paralitic mushroom spors. Daze isa handfull of narcotic spoors. Resist heat/cold is a oily rub made from herbs that only grow in extreame conditions. Blindness/Deafness is a strong toxin.

A quicky whipped up dose of LSD anda few sujestions can be as good as any illusion

I would treat having the right herbs for the right spell the same way as you treat spell componants but with a precental change to find a dice roll for the amount. For low power spell effects (Cure LW, sleep) the chance to find would be high (90%) with a good number of them found on each outing (3d4). A fifth level spell effect like feblemind would have a much less chance of being found (50%)

I would also have the PC invest in a blow gun. A single dose of any of these formulas could ealy be coated on a dart.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

Hm, I hope this doesn't get too wacky: Do you know the Swamp Thing comics by Alan Moore? Maybe something along that line, he can - on higher levels - control all kinds of plants and plant elementals, maybe even - with a special herbal potion - turn himself into one. On higher levels this might enable him to rip open the earth or tear down houses by controlling the rootwork of the plants in a large area. He can create his own breeds of plants with all kinds of abilities, even intelligent plants, treants and the like? On a wackier note, this might allow him to create himself a "plant familiar"...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Hmm... that's kinda drifting into Druid territory. It could work, but it would take some work to differentiate itself.

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward something like Jasper's idea. I've already done the work to do a non-magical magic weapon crafting system for my gunsmith. (http://themistway.com/houserules.html) I should probably just extend that to a Brew Herbal Potion feat. Tradeoff the benefit of being non-magical with the requirement to make Prof. (herbalism) checks to succeed. I'll allow her to learn new formulas with herbalism checks replacing spellcraft checks, and add them to a list of spells that she can brew, but can't cast. (The problem with regular Brew Potion is that as a bard, her list of known spells is really small.)

I might even consider making an herbalist class that improves on that feat, speeding up the brewing, adding known formulas, etc.

What do you think? Balanced?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

gonzoron wrote:The more I think about it, the more I lean toward something like Jasper's idea. (...) I should probably just extend that to a Brew Herbal Potion feat. Tradeoff the benefit of being non-magical with the requirement to make Prof. (herbalism) checks to succeed. I'll allow her to learn new formulas with herbalism checks replacing spellcraft checks, and add them to a list of spells that she can brew, but can't cast. (The problem with regular Brew Potion is that as a bard, her list of known spells is really small.)
I could see something like replacing the requirement of knowing the spell with having a particular plant in your possession. For instance, to make potions of X, X not being a bard spell, you need a particular plant. The price of the plant should be about the price of having the spell cast for you (as per the prices in the PHB). This also means you could have rare plants as treasure in adventures ("you realise that the flowers growing around the monster's sanctuary are a key ingredient in potion X").
I might even consider making an herbalist class that improves on that feat, speeding up the brewing, adding known formulas, etc.
You could also have an ability that allows you to use particular plants to add metamagic effects to potions.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Perhaps the Mystic Wanderer from Magic of Faerun

Mystic Wanderer 2nd div., any nonlawful, Alchem 3rks, Dip 8rks, Kn(nat) 3rks, Perf 3rks, Prof(herbalist) 3rks, Iron Will 3.0 MoF p. 35

Or the Master Herbalist from Occult Lore by Atlas Games

Reviews:
http://www.atfantasy.com/view/206
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9145.phtml

Or something from Alchemy & Herbalists by Steven Schend

Reviews:
http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php ... ent&id=249
http://dragonwing.net/Alchemy.htm
(Check out the free download )
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

I was thinking of two things:

1) Modify the Artificer class (Eberron Campaign Setting) ability to create magical items based on Spellcraft checks. Use that as a basis for a Herbalist ability to create potions based on Profession (Herbalism) checks. Perhaps also give a pool of bonus XP that can *only* be used for crafting potions, just as the Artificer class does, but with a different amount of XP.

Note that the above ability allows an Artificer to create magical items based on spells that the Artificer can't even cast, so that fits the concern about the Bard's limited spell list.

2) Using the herbalist's knowledge of herb qualities, allow for synchronistic bonuses on crafting potions that duplicate feats like Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, etc (no more than a 1 level change; Maximize Spell would be right out, as it modifies the spell by 3 levels). For example, when crafting a cure light wounds potions, a Profession (Herbalism) check of DC 20 might find a good herb, perhaps like willow bark, that will add the effect of Heighten Spell so that, if the recipient wants to resist the effect (because suicidal, wants to join a lost loved one, scarring wounds, etc), the DC to resist the cure would be more difficult.

Perhaps the Herbalist class would give the equivalent of Heighten Spell on one level, would give Extend Spell on another level, etc. The effect, as above, would be based on mixing synchronistic properties of herbs with the normal potion itself (willow bark makes aspirin, so it could help healing; psychedelic mushrooms might help a lesser confusion potion, etc).
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

You can also use the "infusion" concept of Masters of the Wild (pp 31-34). With a little modifications about the prep time, it can be great.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)