Ravenloft novels

Books, movies, television and everything else
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:Huh. That's interesting. Not many say that at all. You're very unique in that regard.
Why do you think that's so? Are people generally not fans of this particular novel?

Although this book was a little strange, it still had enough narrative cohesion for me to get through it. I really felt the female healer was a compelling character, and I really liked the book *until* the zombies started attacking at the end. That's what ruined Dance of Death for me, the boat being attacked by zombies.

I think when a writer has a good story going on, he/she shouldn't have to resort to zombies. It just seems like a cop out to me. Its like: you couldn't come up with a more original ending than that? Kind of like in Brave New World when the main character commits suicide at the end of the book . . . it just ticks me off! :lol:

And...

I was never able to get my hands on a copy of the sequal. Sometimes I forget that I actually have a computer and access to Amazon. :)
If you liked the first one, you definitely should read the sequel. The character matures a lot from the first novel, and having a "worthy" adversary certainly helps! All together, I thought "War Against Azalin" had more action, structure and plot line than the first book, which I loved. Check it out! :D
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

WARNING: SPOILER (kinda pointless now, though :wink:)
LadySoth wrote:Its like: you couldn't come up with a more original ending than that? Kind of like in Brave New World when the main character commits suicide at the end of the book . . . it just ticks me off! :lol:
Y'know, it's generally considered polite to write SPOILER before saying stuff like that.

Just thought I'd mention it.

As for Death of a Darklord, I think the main problem most people have with it, apart from the literary qualities of the book (I haven't read it, so I can't comment on them), is that it portrays several key facets of Ravenloft very inaccurately, misleading readers who aren't familiar with the dread realms beforehand.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by LadySoth »

Malus Black wrote: Y'know, it's generally considered polite to write SPOILER before saying stuff like that.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Duely noted.
As for Death of a Darklord, I think the main problem most people have with it, apart from the literary qualities of the book (I haven't read it, so I can't comment on them), is that it portrays several key facets of Ravenloft very inaccurately, misleading readers who aren't familiar with the dread realms beforehand.
Well, it is meant to be the author's interpretation of the RLoft Universe. Admittedly the book is a little strange, even for someone framiliar with the series, but that very quality kind of gives it a quaintness that makes the book bearable as a stand alone, which is how I took it.
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

LadySoth wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:Huh. That's interesting. Not many say that at all. You're very unique in that regard.
Why do you think that's so? Are people generally not fans of this particular novel?

Although this book was a little strange, it still had enough narrative cohesion for me to get through it. I really felt the female healer was a compelling character, and I really liked the book *until* the zombies started attacking at the end. That's what ruined Dance of Death for me, the boat being attacked by zombies.

I think when a writer has a good story going on, he/she shouldn't have to resort to zombies. It just seems like a cop out to me. Its like: you couldn't come up with a more original ending than that? Kind of like in Brave New World when the main character commits suicide at the end of the book . . . it just ticks me off! :lol:

And...

I was never able to get my hands on a copy of the sequal. Sometimes I forget that I actually have a computer and access to Amazon. :)
If you liked the first one, you definitely should read the sequel. The character matures a lot from the first novel, and having a "worthy" adversary certainly helps! All together, I thought "War Against Azalin" had more action, structure and plot line than the first book, which I loved. Check it out! :D
I'll definitely look in to procuring a copy. Thanks for the recommendation. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

OK here goes my choices:
1. King of the Dead
2. Vampire of the mists
3. I,Strahd
4. Dance of the Dead
5. Spectre of the Black Rose tied with
Heart of Midnight

I prefer the origins of Strahd and Azalin to their war ;)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I spotted a copy of Death of a Darklord in Waterstones the other week, must admit I do not like the new cover. Also, it don't look right without the Ravenloft logo.
Swallow your soul!