spiderman villians

Discussing all things Ravenloft
abe
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

spiderman villians

Post by abe »

how would you fine people make spider-mans villians fit into ravenloft?
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

:shock:
No, just kidding there. Lets see, hmmm

Mysterio would be pretty easy actually. Just some sort of Illusionist.

Doc Connors would be pretty cool as a were-crocodile.

Venom and or Carnage would be difficult as I am not aware of any symbiote type monster or template. Maybe some sort of possesing spirit or demon. That would be a cool twist.

Green Goblin and or Hobgoblin. Other than making them Goblins or even Goblyns, they would have to be rather wicked and a bit more substancial than A 1 or 2 CR. You could work a Dr Jeckel/ Mr Hyde thing which is already prevelant in RL. Some rich guy creates a brew or discovers a cursed item which turns him into the Goblin.

Sandman and Hydroman could be Elementals that where summoned to the plane of dread and can't return to there native worlds, so they cause havoc.

Kraven the hunter could be an obssessed ranger who lost some powers checks and gained animal senses as his dark reward.

Dock Oc could be some scholar who somehow grafted tentacles to his body.

Thats all I got. Good luck.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: spiderman villians

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

abe wrote:how would you fine people make spider-mans villians fit into ravenloft?
How about Batman?...

It wouldn't be too hard to work up the Scarecrow; in fact, he's not that different from Dr. Dominiani (although the Scarecrow is more interested in fear, and Dr. D in madness). The Joker would be a snap, too.

Spider-man is harder, because Batman was kinda gothic to start with and Spidey just isn't. I did write up a "spider-man" for the Book of Sacrifices--the Silken Strangler. Not that he's much like Peter Parker, but it might give you some ideas.

To expand on BBQD's idea for Doc Ock, he could be someone who was flesh-crafted by illithids, or some kind of human quisling who worked with illithids on human subjects. The Goblins might work well as bogeymen, although the Jekyll/Hyde thing is more like their Spider-man persona. I don't know that many more, unfortunately.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I actually used to watch the old Batman: Animated Series cartoons. Excellent work. And the villains are actually remarkably gothic, so let's work through the Bat's Rogue's Gallery

The Joker: I'm thinking a Human Bard. Perform (Comedy) works after all. Probably failed a few power's checks and madness checks. Some levels of Wizard as well, methinks.

Harley Quinn: Human Bard/Rogue. Same as above, only she always struck me as more acrobatic. Perhaps some ranks in Handle Animals since she was the one who handled the hyenas.

Mr. Freeze: Evoker specializing in cold spells. Load up on things like Energy Substitution (Cold), Frozen Magic, and Lord of the Uttercold.

Killer Croc: A Werecrocodile. For a twist, perhaps one stuck permanently in hybrid form? Probably has incredible strength, perhaps over and above what normal werecrocs do.

The Mad Hatter: An Enchanter with an emphasis on Craft Wondrous Items. Slave & Master Rings from BoVD would be his style.

Two-Face: A fighter with the multiple-personalities disorder. Perhaps specializing in repeating crossbows.

Clayface: Some sort of Clay-Half Golem.

Scarecrow: As mentioned, he's like Dominiani, but how's this for a twist: Awakened Dread Scarecrow with Enchanter and Dread Witch (from Heroes of Horror) levels.

Poison Ivy: Probably an evil druid with a touch like Ivana's.

Penguin: Somewhat stumped. A ranger perhaps? Emphasis on trained birds and ranged weaponry, so.... He'll be a mastermind villain surrounded by henchmen, so its less important.

Catwoman: Rogue, perhaps with Thief-Acrobat levels from Complete Adventurer.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

uhhhh...hello?!
Marvel Zombie's anyone?!?!?
my bones among the rocks and roots
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

My 2.37 copper

Catwoman: I can see her as slinky thief with a some sort of amulet of nine lives. She can survive any deadly wound/fall/trap nine times but each time she becomes more and more cat like in her personality.

Penguin: Definitely a caliban with a fasination for birds and avian creatures. Struggling to keep a balance between his need to stay in high society and his hatted of that very society for tossing him into the sewers to fend for himself.

Mr. Freeze is almost completely Gothic right from the start. His slow journey into the cold unfeeling creature he became is pure ravenloft fodder.

The Riddler: I see him as a shadow fey obsessed with human logic and reasoning. He rewards those who solve his fiendish puzzles while tormenting those who fail.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
silas13
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by silas13 »

So you want Marvel well here are my ideas for existing characters mainly my top ten...

1. Dracula or Decon Frost, <either will do> I see these two as ambitious vampires questing for power. Dracua would be just as listed in masque of the red death. Decon would be a aristocrat with a few levels in bard if either were granted a domain I see either of these ruleing over a domain similar to Brovia or Vorstikoff <forgive my spelling> But their curse would be different. Dracula would be just like Straud while Decon would be forced to hide from the very cattle he stalked <got the idea from gazzeteer 2>

2. Magneto, human psionic or wizard specalizing in metal mainplulation. If granted a domain he would rule over humans rather then mutants and the humans would treat mutants like dirt or worse. <Imagine Falkivonia>

3. Apoclypse, human psionic specializing in physical transformation If granted a domain it would be peace on earth with the weak and the strong getting along...

4. Dr Doom human wizard specialsing in planular transport and mecanical genius. If granted a domain he would have to face his demons in the form of his people. He would want to be alone but the genius of Reed Richards would torment him at every corner...

5. Loki norse god of michef. easy human sorcerer or illiousinst if granted a domain his brother would be more popular then him.

6. Sabertooth easy werewolf or a beastly ranger that failed numerous powers checks and gained beastly abilities as a reward. If granted a domain he would have a domain of nothing nothing to kill and nothing to hunt he would have to see his prey all the time and depend on them for his needs without killing them...

7. Venom well perhaps one of Victor Mordenhem's experments escaped and became a blood golem that feeds off human blood but the process takes a while and grants the victim great powers. If granted a domain he would face a world where everybody loves Spider-man and he is not there. So Venom would be the reviled monster that he truly is and have to face that fact.

8. The punisher human fighter obiously, If granted a domain he would never kill enough people to fufill his need to avenge his family's death.

9. The Hulk possessed person with a anger trigger and a altered form. If granted a domain he would simply have nothing to trash and Banner would have to see his demon all the time...

10. Finally Ultron mecanical golem If granted a domain he would have to face his creator's genius all the time and none of his creations would work. Think Mordenhems monster but a machine...

And that is every villain and hero I know at this time

maybe i will do batman next time...
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

NeoTiamat wrote: Harley Quinn: Human Bard/Rogue. Same as above, only she always struck me as more acrobatic. Perhaps some ranks in Handle Animals since she was the one who handled the hyenas.
Wot, no expert levels from her early days as an Arkham Asylum psychiatrist?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I completely forgot about that. But perhaps the Analyst PrC (or however you call it) from LotB would be even better?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Comic books seldom work well with RPGs as a whole and Ravenloft in particular. A few horror-based or psychological characters can be squeezed in but not many. Most of Spidey's foes are good villains for him, foils for his personality and animal nature so they don't lend themselves for generic use.

Venom Someone wronged by the players and granted dark powers. I'd modify a Cloak of Arachnia and make it a suit. Perhaps a single artifact that also acts as bracers of ogre power and the like.
So instead of being a liquid-y living suit it might be more cloth that's alive and possessed. A full bodysuit with long wraps making almost look like a mummy, and that can be used as tentacles or lashing tendrils.
Instead of being alien it might be an artifact of the Arak with the inhuman mindset of an immortal fey.
He'd be strong and, with his tentacles, have reach and likely strike with surprise grappling and choking people to death. If he has claws as a natural weapon he can also shred people while they're entangled. A little disguise powers and he can be anyone, be anywhere, come from anywhere. No place is safe when this relentless creature is stalking you.

Scorpion Half-man, half-scorpion. The result of a magical experiment this poor misshapen creature is as much animal and man. Similar to a manscorpion but without the giant lower torso but still cursed with the unwieldy giant tail.

Doctor Octopus Crazy alchemist bonds four giant tentacles to his torso. He is mostly interested in continuing his work and advancing the world's knowledge of science but lacks funding and supplies...

Hobgoblin A con-man and criminal who uses fear and superstition against his victims by disguising himself as a supernatural being and using mechanical and alchemical means of duplicating their powers. He uses a few token magical devices to augment himself and sticks to the shadows to terrify his victims.

Mysterio A fraudulent magician who uses stage magic and illusions to commit crimes. He is often mistaken for a ghost or other phantom being.

Morbius A medical doctor who was using the blood of vampires to search for cures to diseases, hoping the undead's natural immunity to harm and disease could be transfered. He used the formula on himself after he discovered he was dying and found himself transformed into a living blooddrinker. Similar to a dhampire or vampyr but with more unnatural powers that either.
abe
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by abe »

what about carnage?
shriek?
spider-girl?(see was spider-mans daughter in another reality)
the villians from spider-man 2099?
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Never read 2099, so that's out. Carnage is just too simple a villain to make a good Ravenloft badguy. He kills people without motive or reason lacking all character. He's fun in the comics for short stints but not much else.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

You know, I love Spiderman dearly, but I'm not so certain a lot of the villians fit in Ravenloft. But you know which Marvel character would fit really well in Ravenloft?

Ghost Rider: An expert highway man, stunt Rider from Nova Vaasa makes a deal with Inajira in order to save the soul of someone beloved to him (for purposes canon to marvel comics, we could say his step father). In exchange for his soul, Inajira binds the rider to a demon (possibly one of Inajira's enemies that he had somehow trapped). With this demon's soul inside of him, he turns into a blazing skeletal figure with a long spiked chain in his hand. At first, the rider saught to use this form in order to up-hold the law against the bandits in the countryside. But slowly and surely, the demon side is winning, and already he has killed several innocents as collateral in one of his raids. It is only a matter of time before the demon side completely wins out.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

..and he's riding a nightmare i presume.

Excellent writeup Cabbage.

As for Venom and Carnage, they are alien symbionts iirc. Aren't there some symbiont monsters in the Expanded Psionics HB ? There are definately Psionic Skins magic items which would fit with the general description.
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Carnage sounds more like someone who is somehow joined to a Blood Elemental.
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins