Borrowed Life (comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Borrowed Life (comments)

Post by HuManBing »

Short and sweet, this is my last fan fiction contest submission. I hope it got posted in time for the deadline! (End of April.)

This story is much shorter than the others, but hopefully just as much fun to read.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Spoilers, for the win:

Cymbril Bortenach is supposed to be a dhampir - what you get when a vampire somehow sires a child with a living person. (I assume this means that a vampire male with viable sperm impregnates a live female human. Actually, this in itself could lead to a fairly romantic/tragic story... If a beloved husband dies and comes back as a vampire but is able to hold his undead nature in check around his former family.) Bortenach very likely has many class ranks in Expert, given his extremely talented researching skills.

I wrote Cymbril as an example that not all Kargat cells have to feature undead or monstrous characters as their leaders. Cymbril is actually fairly close to a standard human being, except that he must drink some blood and he has some supernaturally good ability scores.

Flavia is meant to be a red widow, though given her extremely small role in this story you could be forgiven for not noticing that.

Dagras is a doppelganger, possibly dread doppelganger.

Guy (pronounced "Ghee") is presumably a sort of lupine lycanthrope, as he's able to kill Rache VII in his hybrid or true form, and then "blame it on the dog".

Rache is the eighth in a series of clones. The entire story's irony is intended to focus on the potentially unwinnable battle between two rival sets of cloned humans. Dementlieu seemed one of the few places advanced enough to have technological/magical crossovers in cloning technology. Darkon would be another place, relying on mostly magical means.

The cloning pillars in Castle Avernus' Room of Life are actually mentioned specifically in From the Shadows, as is Aquinus, the servitor vampire who serves as castellan to Castle Avernus. The Master's identity should be obvious.

I believe you can kill a dhampir by shooting it in the eye with a pistol.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I rather liked it, myself, though I'm wondering who the "Agency" is.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing