The Guest (comments)

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Guest (comments)

Post by Sylaire »

I was trying for a Poe-esque "voice" throughout this story (though the ending, of course, is rooted in a modern tradition, at least in terms of language). Hopefully I pulled it off without seeming too "clunky." Basil Copper, after all, I'm not.

Almost immediately after I finished the draft of this story, I considered flipping the genders of all protagonists, making the narrator and Amick female and Miss Forester male. My wife liked it the way it was, which is why it's stayed this way, but I have a sneaking suspicion it would be better...or at least less stereotypical if reversed. Although, on the other hand, I suppose that a certain measure of stereotype is almost necessary in a Gothic story; if one doesn't follow at least some of the conventions of the setting and genre, then one doesn't really have a Gothic Earth story.

Anyway, this thread is for comments, if anyone has any; hope you enjoyed the story!
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Awww man, and here I was hoping for a great big break between your stories so I could post mine without comparison. :x

Err, that is to say, you rock Sylaire! :D

In any case, while I'm sure it would be great either way, there are also some stereotypical implications for a woman who is so desperate for a man she summons one. :roll: Gothic Earth, being mired in actual history, has some strict gender roles in place anyway. Whether those are meant to be adhered to or not is up to the author, so long as they're not trying too hard to make the girls over-the-top-awesome.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."