Poisons

Discussing all things Ravenloft
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Poisons

Post by LouisVendredi »

Hey All,

I have a PC that just worked his way to take a level in Assassin and consequently, I am looking more deeply into poison in Ravenloft. I know about the list in the Borca Gazetteer, but is there any other mention of poison use and/or availability of DMG poisons in Ravenloft?

I would imagine the Carrion Crawler poison would be vanishingly rare and the Drow poison would be right out unless you ignore the retcon that turned the Drow of Arak into Shadow Fey.

Any advice, info you'd all care to share?

Thanks,
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I haven't seen the list myself but because Ravenloft has more alchemists and drug pharmaceuticals than most campaign settings, I'd say as DM you should feel free to substitute any given fantasy poison with any given realworld equivalent that you want to.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Two other sources you should look at is the VRA's section on alchemicals (some of it is poison-related), and probably Gaz I, Forlorn, which has a *bunch* of poison stuff.

Near as I can recall, just about every second domain has a notable poison or two in it, just look through the Gazes.

As for high-fantasy poisons, I'd rename them somehow. A knockout poison like Drow Poison is particularly useful. Just call it Swift-Sleep or something.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

Good advice. Thanks.
-- Anya Jenkins
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

Ghastria has a ready source of carrion crawler poison, if you're interested. Also look for "Umbral Grey."
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Strahd whipped up a sleep inducing poision for vampires so perhaps blood effecting poisons might be something of a Barovian speciality.
The cure for what ails you
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

InVinoVeritas wrote:Ghastria has a ready source of carrion crawler poison, if you're interested. Also look for "Umbral Grey."
2E stats and excellent fluff in the "Unauthorized Biography of Stezen D'Polarno" from the Book of Souls.
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

I'm thinking of replacing the Drow poison with something from the Shadow Fey (since they used to be Drow before they were retconned, I believe) and they have that sect/prestige class which seems to mimic the Drow.
-- Anya Jenkins
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

A poison that dissolves, or makes "ill", your shadow would be fitting.
The cure for what ails you