The Eye of Anubis: Book One

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Turning to Ulsaon he says "Sometimes one must know when to remain cautious like the jackal, or perhaps like the hunting dog with strength in numbers. One of us should wait here and keep watch, the other should return to the Inn for the others, what do you say?"
Ulsaon ponders a moment then sighs. "Oh all right, I'll go back and tell the others." At the interruption from the old man and the two hounds, she grins and winks at Khalil. "Just play along" she whispers.

Bluff 16 Perform 18

Taking Khalil's hand in hers, she turns to the old man. "So sorry to disturb you good sir. We are just out for a little romantic stroll. No harm done, I hope. Sorry to have woken you, we got carried away."

"Come dear, let's leave the man alone. We can find another quiet place."

Turning she leads Khalil away, leaning in to him and whispering "Okay you stay hidden and I'll go back to the Inn. Someone will be back later for you, Dear" she giggled as she loped off silently into the night as soon as they were out of sight of the home.

She hurried back to the Inn and as soon as she arrived, heading for the party, assured they'd not be asleep. Entering the room she approached Charles. Nodding to him she reported what happened.

"I just find it odd that though we didn't make a noise, he came out with two dogs. I am presuming the boy knows we followed him thus telling the old man."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Perhaps." Tomas speaks, after waiting a few moments, "We're all forgetting something. We're allready bound."

"Weather it be the contract of a guard." Tomas gestures at the woman monk, "The bond between a graduate student and professor," A hand in the direction of Lia, "Or that of a professor working under the leader of the expidition." And towards Andre. "In agreeing to join a formal expedition, we have entered the employment of the University, however temporarily, and I believe that the laws of the city would be firmly in the University's favor if one of us was to do something so base as to sell a historical artifact to a private collector who is definately /not/ a member of our expedition."

"If this 'Lancaster' fellow was legitimately interested in history, why not make his offer pubicly? We would have had no idea that the item was magical-whereas, his skullduggery has instead caused the suspicion that the story behind the Eye might have some kernel of truth at its core to enter into our minds." Tomas pauses, rubbing his chin. "I mean, I am not a criminal, but it seems to me that it would be kind of silly to tip off people who would be inclined to give something to you anyway: dress up like an Akari, say the gem is a family heirloom bandits stole, and offer the money as a reward to get it back. We wouldn't have been the wiser. ...but, I am sorry, I am digressing. This is why I'm such a terrible writer...anyway..."

"My point is, this man, for his own reasons, chose to test our nascient band's integrity." Tomas smiles a little, shrugging, "And it seems as though we've passed. Miss Allikhain did the right thing as a guard, before all this...unpleasentness with this cult even started. Now that we know people are willing to murder over this jewel, I do not see how we would become suddenly more willing to treat it lightly."

"So, Miss Lia, I think your...assurance allready exists, both in the particulars of our expidition, and in how we've all conducted ourselves so far." Tomas sits back down, stretching his neck a little. "If someone's going to betray us, signing a piece of paper promising otherwise won't stop them any more than anything else that has happened would, I daresay. -do, ah, they have hot chocolate here? I'm soaked to the bone..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Very well," Lia replies, leaning back in her chair. "I am content."

'One fears magical binding,' she thinks, looking at Sarari, 'due to experience. Most of the others dodge and give explanations why they do not wish to be bound. That one' - her gaze briefly shifts to Alikhain - 'is leery of contracts and signing her name. A thief, perhaps. While I would have been happier to have a clear code of conduct established and enforced, this has been most ... instructive.'
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre looked towards Tomas, the expression on his face one he was not inclined to usually show, primarily that of being deeply impressed. "A student and an orator. Sign for one of my classes, I could use more students with a mind in their skulls."

He smiled, then regarded Lia "As much as it probably dosen't quite put you at ease, I agree with those who speak out against magical compulsion in this regard, or anything that smacks of it. One, I doubt any of us are a proper potency of caster to work a truly binding oath, and Two, without magics..it's just empty words to anyone who would be so base as to actually sell out their comrades."

Andre slowly looked around the room "I...know I occasionally come off a bit harsh. Josette used to sa.." Andre catches himself, his words coming as if briefly caught in his throat, "Anyway, till this expedition is done, we ARE comrades. In the desert, we may very well be putting our lives in each other's hands daily. If you don't feel you can extend that trust...Go home. Return your fees to the university, whatever it takes to get out of this. For I will not stand for doubt jeopardizing anyone on this expedition's life."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

tarlyn wrote:"I just find it odd that though we didn't make a noise, he came out with two dogs. I am presuming the boy knows we followed him thus telling the old man."

"Ah, M'selle Ulsaon," Charles says. "Where is Khalil?" On hearing her explanation, he nods. "H'm...Well, that confirms the source of the package, at least. I doubt we'll get more information. Well done, though. Every little bit counts. Perhaps we had better go fetch our friend the dragoman back, though; under present circumstances I'm a little leery of any of us traveling alone. Shall we?"

Turning to Professor Carter, Charles says, "We're about to step out for a few minutes; we're going down to Harrow House. If we're not back in half an hour, you might want to learn why." Smiling slightly, Charles bows slightly and gestures for Ulsaon to precede him into the street.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas blushes at the praise, blinking once. "Golly, it was just logic." He rubs the back of his head, shrugging. "My Uncle Snori taught me the Ancestral Chant, which is less of a chant and more of a running argument for the preservation of the souls of one's ancestors. I, ah, guess it paid off."

Oh, alarum! "Do you want me to come, Charles?" Tomas is allready standing up and walking after the man and half-elf. "I am having something of a way with dogs, at least."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DocBeard wrote:Tomas blushes at the praise, blinking once. "Golly, it was just logic." He rubs the back of his head, shrugging. "My Uncle Snori taught me the Ancestral Chant, which is less of a chant and more of a running argument for the preservation of the souls of one's ancestors. I, ah, guess it paid off."

Oh, alarum! "Do you want me to come, Charles?" Tomas is allready standing up and walking after the man and half-elf. "I am having something of a way with dogs, at least."
"Certainly," Charles says. "Anyone else? I don't expect it to be an exciting trip, although the way this evening has gone one can never rule it out."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

At the Inn

"I'll go." Benoit stood. "Fuss Loup." The tired but content canine trotted over to him.

As the others left, Harris looked out into the drizzling night. "Why don't the rest of you go get some sleep? I'll wait for the others to come back, and Maleagant too, but we're leaving tomorrow morning, no sense in all of us being sleepless."

Sarari nodded at the guard captain's short speech. "Wise."

Prof. Devereux hefted his book of tales. "Er... good idea."

Slowly, but surely, the weary group begain to disperse to their rooms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image

Outside Harrow House

The group found Khalil pacing along the outside of the Harrow House fence, his movements mirrored by a distant lantern.

"It's late." The ex-militiaman said without preamble. "Lets get back and get some sleep."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing