Tim Burton's "Sweeney Todd"

Books, movies, television and everything else
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Yes, I'm afraid personal banners are not allowed on these forums. (Long story.) Neat though it is, please remove it from your sig, LordG.

A text link to the art exhibit is all right, though.

- Roti, who's sorry she has to be a party pooper :(
Last edited by Rotipher of the FoS on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Yes, I'm afraid personal banners are not allowed on these forums. (Long story.) Neat though it is, please remove it from your sig, LordG.
Yes I seem to recall something about Wiccy and Dion frightening the masses. :wink:
Georg Kristianokov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Georg Kristianokov »

Let's see...

A madman in London, slicing people's necks open...

PARIDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"cough* *cough*

Sorry. I only took 2 of my 3 prozacs this morning...
Death to the salad eaters!--Verbrekian War cry

I can post almost everything I've written, just PM me!
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Yes, I'm afraid personal banners are not allowed on these forums. (Long story.) Neat though it is, please remove it from your sig, LordG.

A text link to the art exhibit is all right, though.

- Roti, who's sorry she has to be a party pooper :(
OK, then that needs to be in the FAQ. Because I checked it for such a rule before I posted it.
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

OK who knew the guy was actually real? Or that his name really was Sweeny Todd?
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... dex_1.html
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Just saw it. Can't say I hated it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. For one thing, they cut the song "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd' out completely and I don't know about anyone else but I certainly missed it. If anyone else besides Depp and Burton had made the movie, It might have spoiled it for me. Still, they DID make it and it was magnificent. Burton's vision of 18th century London is brilliant and Depp's portrayal of the tragicly obsessed Sweeney Todd is genius. I'd actually forgotten how grim the ending is. It's really a musical tragedy more than a musical comedy. Sort of like West Side Story. The songs are pretty funny though. Well worth the money to see.
Last edited by Manofevil on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Saw it today. I thought they did a surprisingly good job, and the murders certainly had me cringing through the whole thing. I found I missed "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" (though a version over the closing credits would've been nice) than I did Judge Turpin's "Joanna" number, which could've been a real entertaining number for Alan Rickman.

In fact, curiously, all the overtly sexual jokes and references in the film (Turpin's song, the beggar woman's crude overtures to Sailor Anthony, even the joke in "A Little Priest" about general "with or without his privates") were cut-- I don't know if that would've pushed the R rating too far coupled with the violence or if it's the curiously American (or at least the MPAA) convention that violence is a whole lot more acceptable in films than sex.
Scede
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Scede »

It's not that violence is necessarily more acceptable, you just cant have too much violence along with sex...it makes our fragile American minds explode and then our troubled youth steal daddy's guns and go on murderous rampages in their high schools.
Wow check out my cool sig, its L33t Sauce.