3.5E Paladin Mounts in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Eric the Light Bringer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

3.5E Paladin Mounts in Ravenloft

Post by Eric the Light Bringer »

I have a question (it may be a dumb one as I don't have my books here to look up the fine details)

(if I remember right) an outlander paladin's mount is summoned from the upper planes and it stays in the prime with the paladin for 2 hours/level...thus a 8th Lv paladin can have their mount up to 16 hours in a 24 hour day...and summoned creatures that enter Ravenloft cannot leave, so a paladin's mount would then be trapped in Ravenloft (?)

I can't remember of the paladin mount has the good subtype or not, but would it get a reality ripple? And would the powers of light allow the mount to be summoned? The Ravenloft PH 3.5 says (p. 50):

"Familiars and other companions brought in from other realms (that is, not native to the Ravenloft world) do not become dread companions. They retain their original alignments and other traits."

but unless the paladin's mount was with the paladin when he/she was brought into the demiplane, then does the mount become a dread companion when the paladin for the first time summons in in Ravenloft?

On a side note, I really dislike the dread companion template being added to a paladin's mount...when the LE dread paladin's mount commits a sin for it's master is the paladin's "paladinhood" threatened? Do dread companions in general force powers checks on their masters by their evil acts? It's basically stacking the deck even further against the paladin when it's own holy mount can spell his/her doom.

I'v been considering house-ruling the "dread companion paladin's mount" and instead give/make the mount a creature of the mists that he summons (giving it the "mist" subtype)...or possibly throwing out the rule all together...I dunno :P
None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.

Ferdinand Foch, French general

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke, Irish orator, philosopher, & politician
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I HATE the Pokemount! Summoning and dispelling the mount as convenient, along with just getting him at the level break [no quest] really robbed the class of a lot of its flavor, IMHO.

I'd go back to the old way: the paladin qualifies for his mount at 4th level. At that time, he is able to undertake a quest to gain his mount. The mount is not summoned and dismissed, but hangs around just like an animal companion.

Oh, and I would NOT make the paladin's mount a dread companion, regardles of what the official rules might say.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
labdishwasher
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by labdishwasher »

And if worst comes to worst, I think this feat would override dread-ness in any and all cases. While we're at it, one for arcanists and one for druids.
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Well i dunno for a palladin's mount trapped in ravenloft but for a native palladin's mount i use the dread companion template.
Of course the player don't know that.
IMC i have a palladin from Ezra.
His mount was summoned by cleric of Ezra by a ritual that involve the palladin's blood (to bind the palladin and his mount spiritually, because they have telephatic link and the such) and a foggy night (because Ezra is our Lady of the mists).
His mount is nasty, she doesn't allow another character on her back, she always want to fight and others animals dislike her.
She cause many accident with stable boys, but the palladin character thinks this behaviour is normal because it's a savage war mount :twisted:
The brutality of his mount tainted his acts, he's now a brutal horseman, of course he fights evil but by many times now he didn't care about protecting the innocent and prefer his pride by defeating strong ennemy.
I think this rule don't ruin the game as long as you never mention this game mecanic to your player.
For him his mount is the standard phb palladin's mount.