1001 ideas for a RL campaign.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

53. The PCs are members of the order of the gaurdian, and after several "treasure hunts" they hear of an artifact of great destructive power, and immediately search for it, not knowing that Hazlik is after the artifact as well, planning to use it in his ritual of mass destruction.

54. A band of young Richmulise band together with the objective of hunting wererats

55. Inspired by the stories of the elders of Forfarmax, forfarian youngsters Journy to Forlorn to join the druids in their war against the goblyns. They have arrived just in time, suddenly the goblyns are more organized, and have powerful new allies.

56. L'ordues, the rebellious commer organization in dementlieu, is falling more and more under the control of the brain, and someone must discover the truth before civil war breaks out.

57. A group of kartakan lumberjacks toil in the forest, unafraid of the wolves because of the Kartakan superstitions of "logger's luck". Unfortuneately for them, mother fury's territory is not far away, and a small war is about to break out between wolfweres and loup-garous, with our lumberjack heroes caught in the middle.
Hail Strahd!
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

58: One of Rokushima Táiyoo's four shujin unexpectedly allies with an ambitious Dementlieuse trading company, and begins modernizing his island at a breakneck pace, drastically increasing his military capabilites in the process. The domain's delicate balance of power is thrown dangerously out of whack, and the PCs are hired to assassinate the cruel warlord before his ambitions make things any worse. Of course, there's always the rumor that when a shujin dies, his island sinks into the sea...
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

59: Who's Gabrielle's baby-daddy? As it turns out, neither Matton Blanchard nor Ardonk Szerieza. The real culprit was a thrill-seeking doppelganger, who impulsively took Ardonk's form for a night of passion with the enchantress before hastily getting out of Dodge. This means that Lucita Aderre isn't a human and isn't a wolfwere--and that things are going to get mighty interesting once she hits puberty.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

60. [For an evil twist]
PCs are a group of Talons tasked to investigate and quash rebels in Falkovnia. Of course, when confronted with types like Gondegal, the Basilisk, or the doppelganger conspiracy (VRS:D), things get interesting mighty fast. And Drakov expects results.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

61. While in Mordent, the PCs bump into the Foxglove girls, who are searching for the mysterious assasilant who defaced Van Richten's "grave", stealing a few of the personal items buried in lieu of a body. The next morning, the girls's butler approaches the PCs, revealing that the girls themselves haven't returned! Can the heroes track down an Emil Bollenbach before he can create...the clone of Rudolph van Richten?!
Georg Kristianokov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Georg Kristianokov »

62. Hikaru (the youngest son of Haki Shinpi, supposedly dead) is still alive as a Mist Horror. His "island" is the nightmare mists, and he comes and goes as he wants. He has also gained the unique ability to make vassaliches, and is slowly turning a town (on Hishigoru's island) into his undead army.
Death to the salad eaters!--Verbrekian War cry

I can post almost everything I've written, just PM me!
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

63. The PCs find an old inn in the middle of the Falkovnian forest. The innkeeper explains that the place is cursed, haunted, and they should not stay. "And NEVER show your red at the window!"
When asked what he means by that, a troop of (red-coated) Falcons arrive, and demand shelter for the evening.

64. The PCs find a tomb, labeled with the PCs' names.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

65. The PCs (all strangers) are called together to attend the reading of a will. The deceased was a famous elven adventurer who'd retired over a century ago, and whom none of them had ever met. The will sets several tasks for them to accomplish as a team, before any of them may inherit a share of the late elf's fortune: perilous tasks which, in the course of their completion, reveal that each PC is the reincarnation of one of the elf's former adventuring companions. As the campaign proceeds, they learn more about their respective past lives, and fight the descendents or undead forms of their previous incarnations' enemies.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

*Casts Thread Necromancy*

66. If you can't get out, might as well get comfortable: A powerful outsider of the subtle variety (Nycaloth, Pleasure Devil, or my personal favorite, Rakshasa) is sucked into Ravenloft, and like so many before him, realizes that he can't get out. Well, annoying as this is, the fiend quickly realizes that it has an opportunity to create a new world here, unfettered by its superiors, and with very few powerful entities in Ravenloft.

So it decides to turn the North-Western Core into a living hell, and to do so, it uses Falkovnia. After all... an army can pass through a border if there's a Fiendish reality-wrinkle to smooth things over.

67. SCHISM!: The Praesidius is dead, and who will succeed him? Will it be the old guard, who've held power for so long, and will keep the Home Faith plodding along as always? Will it be the new revolutionaries, preaching a doctrine of church poverty and good works, a recipe ripe for religious revolution? Or will it be the compromise candidate, the kindly, wise old man... who just so happens (as the PCs will learn), to have been the last person Levin Postoya ever saw.

68. Who knows what terror lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!: There's a new player in Port-a-Lucine, and she's lean, mean, and transparent. Melanie Serrault (CE Rank Four Ghost Human Enchantress 13) was an up and coming member of the University of Dementlieu, a powerful enchantress and political player.... until an assassin hired by an enemy decides to put an end to Melanie Serrault's days. But the enchantress was just too powerful to kill forever, and now she's back, and she wants revenge... but she doesn't know who hired the assassin, because the enemy, as a precautionary measure, killed the hitman immediately.

...So Melanie will take the whole city down. With her mind control powers and ability to posess the living, and anchors all across the city, the ghost is controlling policy directives all over, slowly turning Port-a-Lucine more and more oppressive, and the radicals like L'Ordures more and more violent. Soon, it will be only one incident away from a riot, and then a revolution, and then Melanie's foe, whoever he or it is, will go under the blade of Madame Guillotine.

But who is this foe... The Living Brain? Lord Adrian Ramsey? Dominic D'Honaire?.... or someone who is known to dislike female wizards of too much power in the University... And what will they do to stop the body-hopping ghost?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

NeoTiamat wrote:68. Who knows what terror lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!
Ten awesome points for quoting an old-time radio serial!

69: Anton Misroi has been spiritually rebuffing the merging of Souragne with other domains for some time now, but the Dark Powers have decided to shake things up once and for all. In the midst of a terrible local hurricane, the bayou gets surreptitiously plunked down at the southeastern corner of the core, bordering the Nocturnal Sea right under Nova Vaasa.

A society whose lord disallows any magic but necromancy and healing now shares a border with Hazlan.

Fun ensues.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

70. A social misturn in Borca leads the PCs to owe everyone's favorite kissing cousins a favor or three in exchange for "not dieing horribly.". All they have to do is investigate the diplomatic meeting between the forces of Prince Othmar, King Maligno, and the Kingfurher himself, who have quietly arranged said talks in order to strengthen their developing alliance.

Of course, nothing's as straightforward as all that; can the PCs trust Ivana and Ivan to let them go if they complete their mission? Do they really want to risk war throughout the Core just to assuge two paranoid despots's fears? And what if the tyrants's talk seems to be less about brutal conquest, and more carefully inching in the direction of making life in Falkovnia, Indivia, and Nova Vaasa more tolerable? Will the PCs run into /other/ spies, looking for trouble and someone to pin any suspicion they rouse on?
Georg Kristianokov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Georg Kristianokov »

71. In Nova Vaasa, Prince Othmar has let a "nobility" of vampires settle in some of the more remote sections of Nova Vaasa. He tolerates them because he drinks their blood (like the Kargatane). He is NOT controlled by them, as his servant Chezna has made him a potion to alleviate that effect. In return for the blood and peace, the vampires keep disorder down in the villages. Freedom speakers will die suddenly, or just disappear. Malken has yet to learn of this, but when he does, he's going to go ballistic, as these vampires have killed many of his men.
Death to the salad eaters!--Verbrekian War cry

I can post almost everything I've written, just PM me!
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

72. This is a campaign idea that I'd love to play some day, but given that I don't have a regular gaming group anymore (they all moved away), much less a Ravenloft group, I doubt I'll ever get to do it. Specifically, this is my idea:
  • Convert every single published adventure to the current rules set (Whether it be 3.5 or 4E. With the way things're going, I'll be converting to 5E before I get to do this :?). Make sure to set most adventures as a challenge for one specific level.
  • Start the characters at Level 1. Don't give the characters any XP, though. They level when the DM says so.
  • The PC's play through every single 1st-level adventure that the DM has converted (and maybe a few original adventures, to bridge the gap between the published ones). Once the PC's have played through every single 1st-level adventure, then they go up to Level 2. And the DM plays them through every single 2nd-level adventure.
  • Repeat the process until every single Ravenloft adventure ever published has been played through.

And that's my campaign idea.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

73. CHRONOMANCY! Some being of great power is attempting to escape Ravenloft by keeping each domain from ever forming! The PCs must chase him/her through the real AND imagined history of Ravenloft to twart the plan. Each adventure would focus around some seminal event in every domain, and give the DM a chance to run adventures in the time of, for instance I, Strahd.

This was the basis of Roots of Evil, right? Why stop there? What if Azalin was unable to go right back to his own time, and had to puzzle his way through each domain's formation while the PCs are puzzling their way through stopping him. It puts the PCs in an odd position of assuring evil events take place for the good of the future, and it forces Azalin into the uncomfortable role of a do-gooder.

Perfect vessel for time travel: Castle Tristenoira. Take care of apBlanc and use the castle to zip through time. Walk out the front door....and into...Barovia a week before Sergei's wedding!
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Guzrath
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guzrath »

74 Richemulot. A well planned assassination on Jacqueline Renier has work out well, however, the domain is without guidance, without a Darklord. The DP haven't choses which of X candidates will be the new Darklord. Meanwhile, Falkovnia takes his chances and invades Richemulot.

The players will be part of the resistance which has settled in the sewers. They have to fight against the wererats underground and the invading army above ground.

Meanwhile on a political level, a few people are fighting for dominance over Richemulot.

75 Maybe a bit too far fetched..... The players aren't alive, but are the essences of dreams. By surviving/adventuring in the dreams of key Ravenloftians they piece together a plot. Maybe they were involved in it before being banished or killed. An advantage is that you can take standard Ravenloft monsters and change them completely, because of the view the dreamer has of it. This should keep the player on edge, not knowing what they are up against, especially if your players have been intimite with Ravenloft in the past years. :) Of course, the Nightmare court is not very glad that they have somehow entered their domain of power.
They will have to find a way to get back to the "real" world. Maybe slowly getting to manipulate the dreams.
A whole campaign on this might get quite trippy I imagine, but with a good set of players....who knows.
Tresspassers will be shot......
Survivors will be shot again.