Character Sanity

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dupin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Character Sanity

Post by Dupin »

Well, I read Boris Drakov thread about how many characters have you killed, and I find it interesting also to know how many players (well their characters) and how they have gone mad.
I must assume that I have never either played nor dm-ed any RL story module or campaign, the closest to it was watching Night of the Walking Dead played by a friends of mine and DMing a story which was suposed to be the introductory one to a RL campaign, therefore I have nothing to say, which ebarrases me quite a lot :oops:
"I have never felt such frustration ; Or lack of self control ; I want you to kill me ; And dig me under, I wanna live no more"
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

For sanity I follow a similar rule to that followed in the NWoD: for every Powers Check that a character gains, or for every circumstance that dictates too much pressure for the character to bear, the character rolls for d100: there's a 50% chance that the character gains a derangement (not necessarily something that makes him insane, but makes him deranged).

Thanks to my friends in Psychology class, here's a short list of the insanities/mental derangements I've recreated for my RL games (probably to be presented in Dion Fernandez's Ravenloft):

Drug-induced Narcolepsy
Inferiority Complex
Nymphomania (and other sexual deviances)
Melancholy
Mass Hysteria
Megalomania
Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Is there a difference between Melancholy and Depression or do you know?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Boris Drakov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Boris Drakov »

I had a bard once who failed a madness check after seeing his girlfriend's sister turning into a zombie. He got an automatic fear check everytime he faced the undead, which was pretty often.

But as my players have matured forced checks haven't been necessary as they develop phobias and paranoias all on their own. :D
"I kneel for no-one!"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I have had a couple I can remember...

I had a Halfling bard in one of my games that thought he was a child because a close friend of his died and he became delusional thinking he was a young boy. He also treated the Paladin of the group as if he was his big brother.

I had a Monk who was severly tortured by Mister Fox and gained the Rage effect. He began snapping and soon lashing out at anyone who was threatening the group.

I also had a Paladin who after being TRezed realized he was the only survivor of his previous party and began halucinating that the other party members were still alive but so was one of the Vampires that had been responsible for the deaths.

When the Paladin above led a second attempt against the Vampires with the new party, the father of one of the old characters had to battle his now vampire son and snapped mid fight trying to defend the undead son as he tried to escape.

Thats all I can remember at the moment!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Manofevil wrote:Is there a difference between Melancholy and Depression or do you know?
Hi,

I have no studies in Psychology, but during my research for an article I wrote about an Asylum, I think I remember reading that Melancholy was an old word for what is now regarded as Depression.

I still would consider that when 'Melancholy' was used, that illness / state was not as well known as today, and so you should consider 'Depression' as kind of 'Melancholy v2.0' or such :-)

(Bah, I'm a software engineer, sometimes I like programming jokes)

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)