The Evil Overlord DL

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Evil Overlord DL

Post by Tykus »

Out of curiosity, has anyone here been tempted to make a DL using the Evil Overlord list. And for those who don't know what I'm talking about (what rock have YOU been hiding under?) http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Seems realistic to me. I often have 'overlord' NPC's follow most of those principles. The only ones I have use complete and detatched logic when concerning administration are Illithid.

The problem I have with mainstream DnD is that all the 'overlords' are portrayed like some stupid cartoon/movie character.
Gnarfflinger
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gnarfflinger »

Thanks for the list. You've given me some really good ideas for when I get back to campaign writing...
Brussel Sprouts aren't food, they're ammunition!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

A good source for this kind of a darklord would be the book "If I were an Evil Overlord".
This anthology has a number a good short stories based on the evil overlord list.

The most Ravenloftian story is "Stronger than Fate", which follows an overlord who tries to follow the basic rules of the list, but finds himself compelled down the path of a cliche.

For the most part, villians like Strahd and Azalin do in fact follow the basic tennants of the list. But just like classic villians, its the momentary slip-ups that always spell their doom.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote: A good source for this kind of a darklord would be the book "If I were an Evil Overlord".
This anthology has a number a good short stories based on the evil overlord list.
Where can I find this book?
ScS of the Fraternity wrote:The most Ravenloftian story is "Stronger than Fate", which follows an overlord who tries to follow the basic rules of the list, but finds himself compelled down the path of a cliche.
There's also a "doomed hero" list out there somewhere. Haven't found it online yet but there was an excerpt in an issue of KODT. As expected, it deals with the cliched mistakes of the hero going against the overlord.

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:For the most part, villians like Strahd and Azalin do in fact follow the basic tennants of the list. But just like classic villians, its the momentary slip-ups that always spell their doom.
I guess many of the DLs of the Core probably follow the basic tenants, but its following is probably more scattered among the clusters, pockets, and islands. I know Vecna followed it quite well.
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone