A concept for the Shadowlands Gazetteer

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:If you're doing a word-search through the netbooks for relevant info, don't forget that Elena's domain has been spelled two different ways over the years. It'd be a good idea to search for both spellings, so you don't miss anything relevant.

Heh. Maybe we should run a poll to decide, once and for all, if it's "Nidala" or "Nidalia"?
Maybe both are correct, depending on where you're from? (Standardized orthography is a fairly modern concept, after all.)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey, please don't get me wrong. - I like thinking outside the usual boxes when I design a scenario.

The ideas I give here are mostly random, jut as they come to my mind. If you others find them okay, well, if not be free to simply skip them. :)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Maybe both are correct, depending on where you're from? (Standardized orthography is a fairly modern concept, after all.)
Even if that's true in-character (not a bad idea), there ought to be one spelling of Nidala/Nidalia for the OOC text. Otherwise, it'll look kind of sloppy, and make future word-searches difficult too.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I believe "Nidala" was the original spelling from Islands of Terror and we should try to default to the original in any conflict.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

1) It might be nice to really break away from the ArtHaus Gazetteers in regards to style and format.
There's no reason we HAVE to use them as a guide anymore.

2) I like metaplot. But we can slip that in after; no reason it has to be in the draft.

3) I think a single narrator would be good. I might suggest my Fraternity avatar (as seen in Races of the Mists and a Guide to Feihyrs).

4) I have some cool dread possibilities brewing.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

What about my initial idea that the Frat gets, say, some journals from the Shadowlands, but doesn't visit them themselves? :)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Rafael wrote:On another note, and taking this a small step ahead,
Has anyone a list of the locales in Shadowlands, and, of course,
of all canon - and Frat - things written for the cluster?
I'm pretty sure I can do that almost by heart... :)

The adventure hook bank here lists:
Second edition: Black Box (Realm of Terror), Red Box (RL Campaign Setting), Domains of Dread; Islands of Terror, Darklords (Shdowborn Manor)
Third ed. info: RL3E / RLPH
Adventure: Light in the Belfry; Dungeon #31 (Bane of the Shadowborn)
Novel: Shadowborn
Other selected interesting source: Book of Shadows (Nidala)
There's an obvious mistake there. The Black Box shouldn't be on the list. But the rest is correct, although not quite complete.

There's a short blurb in the RLDMG.
Theokos is in the Book of Sorrows
The Red Wolf is in The Book of Shadows, (in addition to the Nidala framing fiction listed).
There's a Nidalan superstition in "Myths of the Mists" in The Book of Sacrifices
Shadowlands land-based fiend powers are in CotN:D
Maya Hawkthorne (The Blue Lady) is in USS2001
A secret Celestine Observatory called The Hall of Shields in Nidala, is in USS2002
John Mangrum's proposed view of the cluster is the adventure hook bank here.
Addar is in the Book of Sacrifices and RLMCIII (Mangrum proposes him being reworked into Kateri's former mount)

I don't think I ever checked QtR, but other than that, I think that's all.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

QtR should definitely be checked, IMO.

Should the Midway Haven netbooks count as sources? If so, I found this feat with a quickie word-search:
Descended from Shadow (General)

You were born a distant relative of the famed Shadowborn clan.

Domains: Nidala.

Benefit: At 1st level you get +1 sacred bonus to all your attacks, your Will saves, and one Charisma-based skill of your choice. This sacred bonus increases by +1 for every five levels you gain henceforth.

Special: You can only take this feat at 1st level.
Seems a bit powerful for a feat, but I thought it bore mentioning, as Dion may not be following this thread to point it out himself.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

That feat is indeed overpowered.
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

This could be an excellent excuse to review the Knight of Shadows prestige class, as well as The Circle as an organization (maybe including affiliation options)... :)
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I think Midway should be used if at all possible. The more we can draw from other sources the better and more well rounded the book will be.

I also agree we don't have to format it the way of the Arthaus gaz's. However, I kind of like the way the were laid out and it makes that part of the job a bit easier. I would however be more than happy to look at other ways of outlining the project.

Speaking of outline...

We have a pretty solid list of sources and other places to investigate. What is our best way to go forward. I don't mind sifting through all the information but what do we do with it?

Here is a basic outline idea using the RLDMG for my source (also I know I am probably going to miss something so feel free to edit it as needed to make it as full as possible.)

Chapter 1: The Shadowlands Overview

Chapter 2: Nidala
A: Touraine
B: The Faith Hold
C: Other places etc.

Chapter 3: Avonleigh
A:The phantasmal Forest
B: Terregon Manor
C: Shadowborn Manor
D: Other stuff

Chapter 4: Players Guide to the Shadowlands
A: New Prestige Classes
B: New Feats
C: New Gear

Chapter 5: Who's Doomed
A: Elena Faithhold
B: Ebonbane
C: Morgoroth
D: Others...

A basic outline but its a place to start...
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Dimitri Mazieres wrote:This could be an excellent excuse to review the Knight of Shadows prestige class, as well as The Circle as an organization (maybe including affiliation options)... :)
Yes, quite true. With that in mind, add Champions of the Mists and Van Richten's Arsenal as sources on the Knights. (For specific knights, the only ones that have been named in Canon to my knowledge are Gondegal (Black Box, CotM, Gaz II), Marie Pioche (Gaz II), Dame Helna Vladinova (CotM, Gaz II), and Goodwife G___ in VRA. Then there are the ones in the BoS: Kosia, Ubrig, Davran, etc..)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

It's Goodman J______ who was in Van Richten's Arsenal, actually. We just might be seeing a bit more of him elsewhere.... :)
ReDeeMeR
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ReDeeMeR »

While this is still hot what about false history? At least in civilized Nidala.
And another thing. Though we know that it was Alexi who founded the Circle in RL, there is no mention about it up until Gondegal enters the demiplane and is rescued by Vladinova. That was before the GC. What would the structure/goals of the Circle be like in those times? (having in mind that there was no Shadowlands cluster prior to 747)
Azalin Rex
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Azalin Rex »

2 Rafael, Agent of the Fraternity from Grey Realm

Of course I have the campaign journals, but i think you'll have a problem trying to read them because they are written on Darkonish.
But all deeds of heroes and villians are inscribed in a special timeline. And it is not a small one.
A child forever carried by his father never learns to walk, my little servant. Competence cannot be bequeathed.