The Nocturnal Sea FoS Report is now out!!!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Yeah! Congratulations on releasing a great product. I have been skimming through it and it looks full of useful information. Of course it will take me weeks to read this whole thing but well worth it.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Nice job. Just a few nitpicks--is it Neverwere or Neverwhere Manor? Map says one but text says another. I did spot a few typos (I think they were), the type that spellcheck won't catch.

And why no giant starfish?

When you guys get around to doing the Sea of Sorrows, you have my permission to use Whal as you see fit. (I haVen't used it in years but I think I might go back and take a look.)
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Tykus wrote:Nice job. Just a few nitpicks--is it Neverwere or Neverwhere Manor? Map says one but text says another. I did spot a few typos (I think they were), the type that spellcheck won't catch.
Neverwere.
I spelt it the wrong way through my entire first draft, then caught it and tried to change it. I guess I missed the map (which was done early).
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Tykus wrote:And why no giant starfish?
They'll be in the sea-monster book, actually. :)
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thanks for the good comments :)
brothersale wrote:On Page 97 a rather odd item shows up ....... A Cavitus Ship? :shock: From a landlocked domain (albeit one surrounded by mist on three sides) with no rivers, streams or any bodies of water. How on earth was it even made? let alone get into a body of water, for that matter why would it have even been made?
Don't get me started on the Swiss Navy :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A very nice an interesting reading so far. Very helpful as expected for the DM and an interesting reading. I haven't finished it all yet, but I can tell it is a quality product.

By quality product I mean, I have bought D&D books with far less quality than this one. My thanks to all contributors. Also a great thank you to ScS for the formating. Man, this is professional work!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Totally awesome! Thanks to all the great people pouring their efforts in it!
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

A great job, especially on the Drowning Deep: the abyssal survey had a distinct Lovecraftian feel, from the madman's writings to poor Durac vanishing under the waves. My "Innsmouth-ish" town set in Dementlieu will surely convert from Dagon to Virundus! ;)

...I only have a complain: there's no way I can print 400+ pages! This means I have to read it from my screen, and thus I can flip three or four pages before having to gouge my eyes out! :lol:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Joël of the FoS

Jakob wrote:A great job, especially on the Drowning Deep: the abyssal survey had a distinct Lovecraftian feel, from the madman's writings to poor Durac vanishing under the waves. My "Innsmouth-ish" town set in Dementlieu will surely convert from Dagon to Virundus! ;)

...I only have a complain: there's no way I can print 400+ pages! This means I have to read it from my screen, and thus I can flip three or four pages before having to gouge my eyes out! :lol:
Why not? I had it sent to a printer, and with a nice color cover and back, bounded and printed back to back. Final cost about 28$ can. As many said, the visual quality of this book is better than many official product, so it was worth it :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Tykus
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tykus »

Shay-Lot = R'lyeh + Hollywood Atlantis. Nice. :twisted:
Hindsight is, after all, caused by a lack of foresight.

Death rates exceeded 100% in some towns.

Charles V spent most of his reign aging.

This was beginning of Empire, when Europeans felt the need to reach out and smack someone
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Hey Joël!

Yes, around 28$ for a 400 + pages book!

It is worth it! Amazing work as usual!

BTW, it might seem daunting as a sourcebook at 400 pages (someone mentioned this), but let's not forget we have 7 domains, so it's roughly 55 pages each.

Again, my most humble thanks to all involved!

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Joël of the FoS wrote:Why not? I had it sent to a printer, and with a nice color cover and back, bounded and printed back to back. Final cost about 28$ can. As many said, the visual quality of this book is better than many official product, so it was worth it :)

Joël
*Sigh* Here in Italy, printing is an expensive affair, especially in color. When I used to print D&D pdfs (let's say... 180 pages?), B&W, I often ended up paying 30+ euros. :(
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Joël of the FoS

Jakob wrote:
Joël of the FoS wrote:Why not? I had it sent to a printer, and with a nice color cover and back, bounded and printed back to back. Final cost about 28$ can. As many said, the visual quality of this book is better than many official product, so it was worth it :)

Joël
*Sigh* Here in Italy, printing is an expensive affair, especially in color. When I used to print D&D pdfs (let's say... 180 pages?), B&W, I often ended up paying 30+ euros. :(
Just the cover in color, the rest is in b&w. Otherwise indeed it can be very costly.

Joël
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Not to mention that there's, "Copying printouts at Kinko's." and there's, "Actual professional quality publishing."

One of those annoying little things that actually does make a significant difference in the condition of the end product.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Finally had time to start this. Excellent, excellent work. I daresay your best yet. I've only just finished Liffe and started Vechor, but I've enjoyed it immensely. Especially loved the integration of stuff from outside of Liffe, like Andres Duvall, the mistway to the Nightmare Lands, and a certain Baron's new wife. Kudos on making these islands feel less tacked on, and more integrated with the world.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."