Quoth the Raven #25 reactions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #25 reactions

Post by Jack the Reaper »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:100 Darklords, my thumb up for 47.
Indeed, that meta gaming darklord is fun ;)
Haha. He was in the Ravenloft Mailimg List, some of you might remember him from there :wink:
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hell_Born wrote:Don't have time to stay, but I wanted to mention this; in the article "100 Shades of Darkness", Darklord #39, Rothbart, is clearly based on the evil wizard of the same name from The Swan Princess, whilst Darklord #61, Zelig the Shrinker, is clearly based on either the B-movie villain Dr. Cyclops, the Sid & Marty Krofft mini-serial Dr. Shrinker, or both.
You are right about Rothbart of course, but Zelig is actually inspired by Szalinsky from "Honey, I shrank the kids" . :lol: I am not familiar with the others you mentioned.
The Reaper's riddle:

Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Lesser Evil wrote:When I read the name "the Man in the Yellow Hat" in A Hundred Shades of Dark, it forever linked this figure with the guy of the same moniker from the Curious George books.
Must have had him somewhere in by subconscious, but didn't make the link until someone noted it yesterday.
The Reaper's riddle:

DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Rock wrote:But how does he suffer...?
He gets regular visits from Old Man Henderson or Pun Pun the kobold
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I love the tale of Old Man Henderson.

"The cultists stole my gnomes? Time for a rampage."

Priceless! :lol:
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Jack the Reaper wrote:
Hell_Born wrote:Don't have time to stay, but I wanted to mention this; in the article "100 Shades of Darkness", Darklord #39, Rothbart, is clearly based on the evil wizard of the same name from The Swan Princess, whilst Darklord #61, Zelig the Shrinker, is clearly based on either the B-movie villain Dr. Cyclops, the Sid & Marty Krofft mini-serial Dr. Shrinker, or both.
You are right about Rothbart of course, but Zelig is actually inspired by Szalinsky from "Honey, I shrank the kids" . :lol: I am not familiar with the others you mentioned.
Dr. Cyclops is a 1940s horror movie about a mad scientist who invites a bunch of other scientists to his remote home for a trivial-seeming reason, then, in a fit of rage, zaps them with his plutonium-powered shrinking ray; when he realizes they will report him to the police for doing this to them, he starts trying to kill them before they grow back to their normal size, forcing them to fight back with as much ingenuity as they can. They ultimately kill him by dropping him down a fatal climb into his own plutonium mine.

Dr. Shrinker was a black-and-white tv serial that ran in the first season of the Sid & Marty Krofft Supershow, revolving around a group of people who had been lured to the island home of a mad scientist who used them as guinea pigs for his shrinking ray. The series' plot was the ongoing, quasi-comical battle of wits as the shrunken people tried to find the ray and reverse its effects on them and Dr. Shrinker's efforts to capture them as proof that his ray worked, so he could sell it to some other world power and become filthy rich. It was kind of repetitive and had some flawed logic (namely, why didn't he just demonstrate his shrinking ray on someone else for a buyer?) and so it was canceled at the end of the first season.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks for the info. Actually, Medraut Gundar does similar thing in KotBR.
The Reaper's riddle:

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ugh, I remember that scene.

Hats off to the two people he mentioned by name, the one for having actually managed to kill a snake, the other for managing to find loopholes in the rules Medraut set up for his own version of 'Snakes and Ladders'.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Now that I finished re-readinf the issue, I can review it more detailly.
The conferences of Victor Gagné (2d part) was nice and Tsochari were one of my favourite aberrations in the Book of Madness.
The 50 Shades were all very nice, my favourite are Gecko, Abigail, Sleer, Colin, Guy Dartmor and Sir Alonso.
Very nice, like I already said, Brilliantlight's take on the Frozen Wastes; I will use your characterization of Gregor, soon or later, only with more levels.
A lot of interesting ideas in Tomoachico's Death Knight, very impressive.
On the 100 Shades Darker, as I said 47 is brilliant, I like the Yellow Hat and the Albino Drow.
Lilliend is pretty well developed and Camille is ab interesting character.
Sweeny Toad was disturbingly good.
This issue only flaw was the missing of a NeoTiamat article.
How much did you like my articles?
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Another great issue, I especially enjoyed Rock's Lilliend and I look forward to more from the Wartorn cluster.

There does appear to be some slight typos/editing issues in the article.

Pgs 106-108: The second paragraph does not appear to be part of the narrator’s writing but rather a Dread possibility or in game information.

pg. 109: The master’s comments appear to be partially covered.

That said it does not negate my enjoyment of the article.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thank you for the kind words! ^_^

Those words are not from Ciska's Master, though. ;)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Mistmaster wrote:A lot of interesting ideas in Tomoachico's Death Knight, very impressive.
Thanks for the kind words but what appeared was a very early draft rather than the final version, the difference of which is about six months of work. The Halloween gremishkas got to this issue and a revised version will be released with the correct version of the death knight article. Much better.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

What do you think of my articles, Tomoachiko?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

tomokaicho wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:A lot of interesting ideas in Tomoachico's Death Knight, very impressive.
Thanks for the kind words but what appeared was a very early draft rather than the final version, the difference of which is about six months of work. The Halloween gremishkas got to this issue and a revised version will be released with the correct version of the death knight article. Much better.
Can you send me the last version, because I have just one version in my emails and in my files.

I remember we discussed last March that you wanted feedback for a version 2, then I said it might take long as we will start the work only in September, so you said you will work on version 2 without our comments... and that's the end of it, I never received version 2. May be it got lost in the Internet void.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
tomokaicho wrote:Can you send me the last version, because I have just one version in my emails and in my files.

I remember we discussed last March that you wanted feedback for a version 2, then I said it might take long as we will start the work only in September, so you said you will work on version 2 without our comments... and that's the end of it, I never received version 2. May be it got lost in the Internet void.
Strange. I've forwarded it to you again. It's a lot better than what you saw in March.

Mistmaster - ironically I've been stuck with some emergencies and I am yet to read a full article. I'm planning to read the whole thing in Sunday so I will let you know.