Ravenloft System Pros/Cons

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kadarin
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: Ravenloft System Pros/Cons

Post by Kadarin »

Just to throw my bit in, I've played Ravenloft using RoleMaster 2nd Ed.
*ducks behind strong stone wall*
Yeah, I know. But it really doesn't matter. You could probably play Ravenloft using Shadowrun rules.
*runs away at top speed*
Ravenlost, IMHO, is based on the feeling, not on the system.

and, compleatly OT, something to amuse you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qIUuExQmQ
Morn came and went – and came, and brought no day
– George Gordon, Darkness
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Kadarin wrote:Just to throw my bit in, I've played Ravenloft using RoleMaster 2nd Ed.
*ducks behind strong stone wall*
Yeah, I know. But it really doesn't matter. You could probably play Ravenloft using Shadowrun rules.
*runs away at top speed*
Ravenlost, IMHO, is based on the feeling, not on the system.

and, compleatly OT, something to amuse you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81qIUuExQmQ

Shadowrun system, now that would be an interesting.... way to do it to say the least. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Hello fellow DM.
I stopped DM RL for a few years now (3 I guess).
Different reasons made me stop, and one of these was the rule.
I played 3.5 ed.
As you known it 3.5 is made for use with minis.
Minis break imagination and combats in 3.5 were bit too long and too much tactics.
4e is worst than that, combat IS the game, period.
Actually i'm a player of Dark Sun 4e and this is really a jerk compared to my 2nd edition Dark Sun.
I cannot understand how a RL 4e can still be called RL.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

kottakinge wrote:Hello fellow DM.
I stopped DM RL for a few years now (3 I guess).
Different reasons made me stop, and one of these was the rule.
I played 3.5 ed.
As you known it 3.5 is made for use with minis.
Minis break imagination and combats in 3.5 were bit too long and too much tactics.
4e is worst than that, combat IS the game, period.
Actually i'm a player of Dark Sun 4e and this is really a jerk compared to my 2nd edition Dark Sun.
While we use mini's sometimes, I have run many games of 3.5 without a mini nor a map, without any kind of problem, except for issues with reach and AoO, but agreed combat is a necessary evil in running D&D 3.5+...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

kottakinge wrote:4e is worst than that, combat IS the game, period.
Mind the 4e Bashing, please. Lots of people here play Ravenloft in 4e with no trouble, and this sort of talk isn't very welcoming to them.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

I like playing with a map and minis. I have run games without a map and minis in the past, but I find that such visual aids greatly reduce confusion and actually speed up combat. I don't run D&D that way online, because PbP is just different from tabletop.

YMMV
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Recently I discovered that converting Ravenloft to the rules of the Legends of the Five Rings RPG (4th Edition) was actually simpler than I thought. I used to convert Ravenloft to the World of Darkness, but inasmuch as I love the Storytelling system it still was a bit wieldy, considering that I had to reference a lot of OWoD/NWoD material for the conversion

One main reason why I fell in love with the L5R Roll and Keep system is the presence of the Courtier and Artisan classes. CLASSES SPECIFICALLY NOT BUILT FOR COMBAT. Also, classes can be built from the ground up: you can basically create ANY class, give it seven starting skills, throw in five techniques per level (in the case of Priests and Mages just one), and you have a roleplaying game right there. :D
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Gonzonron: I'm just disappointed. I find that 3e edition books brings some cool complements (especially Gazeteer) but a few adventures.
I have not yet have a look on the 4e RL bring by the fans.
My opinions was based about the core system of 4e which is a sort of tabletop video game, and the fate that was reserved for the Dark Sun settings (which is really bad because it's just a flavor for the core rule boosk unlike Dark Sun 2ed which was very different from the basic core setting of the 2e).
IMO if WOTC decide to publish a RL in 4e i fear that that will be very different from the RL i used to love (because 4e is designed for minis much thant 3e).
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

I've updated the first post once again. Thanks for all the input.
Darker Days Radio - The World of Darkness Podcast
Galeros
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Galeros »

I think Chill (1st or 2nd Ed. could work, I have 2nd ed myself) could make a good system for Ravenloft, I just need to get around to reading the rules more thoroughly, but it really does not seem like it would be that hard.
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

I'd add one more advantage to using 2nd Edition for Ravenloft: the setting was originally designed to be used with that ruleset. That had a huge impact on a lot of assumptions in the setting, with availability of magic being the most notable, but also how long it takes to gain a level, presence of high level characters, etc. A lot of these are things that have spawned multiple threads on these boards, trying to reconcile the 3.0/3.5 mechanics with some of those setting preconceptions.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

kottakinge wrote:Gonzonron: I'm just disappointed.
I understand your disappointment and respect your opinion, but please just keep in mind that they are your opinions, not facts, and others here feel differently. While you may feel that 4e is all about combat, others have found a way to use those rules and still get their roleplaying fix. Again, I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, or even telling you to give 4e another chance. If you don't like it, that's fine, and you're free to talk about it. Just please, try to express your opinion in a way that doesn't insult those who disagree. Thanks.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."