Re: Thoughts on...Nova Vaasa
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:37 am
If you are interested in Odiare, please give a look to my Collodi Thread.
Welcome, friends, to our establishment.
http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/
I'm glad that you found my post enlightening to why I like the Malken/Tristen dynamic.Carrion Crow wrote:That's what I like about this forum - you suggest an idea and someone comes back with a way of looking at a particular character that you might not have previously thought of.
I had not considered the Batman/Joker analogy in relation to Sir Tristen/Malken and really, really like it. I seem to remember that there was an Elseworlds comic 'Batman: Two Faces' which suggested that both Batman and the Joker were the same person, just opposite sides of the coin.
However, saying that, whilst I do like Sir Tristen/Malken as a character, I just don't feel that Nova Vaasa is the right setting for him. But now you've opened my eyes to a new way of looking at the character, one that makes sense to me, I can see certain possibilities for him...but elsewhere.
As I mentioned in the first post, I was planning on transplanting the character to Paridon, as I felt this was a better fit for the character and your comments have now set the fuse burning for this idea.
If we think of Paridon as a turn of the Century Gotham, with Sir Tristen as one of the only righteous men in a city rife with corruption, this equates to the Bruce Wayne archetype. Occupying a possition of power, such as chief of police or somesuch and being uncorruptible, his enemies decided to try and reduce him to their level. Maybe a potion or a Helmet of Opposite Alignment was used, but the end result was that his force of will caused his personality to fragment, with his darker impulses creating firstly his alternate ego of 'Malken', but seeds of darkness spreading out across the city and finding fertile ground in a variety of other places. A doppleganger who had quietly and peacefully blended in with Paridon society suddenly found his head filled with thoughts of conquest and murder. A wooden puppet, doted upon by his creator, suddenly brought to unholy life...
Sir Tristen, the righteous crusader for justice, was now confronted by a veritable 'rogues gallery' to combat, none of which he can truly vanquish, as each criminal is actually a facet of his own personality. And in the background, orchestrating the depredations of these unpleasant individuals, is the gnarled, shock-headed Malken...
NB: I had planned on intergrating Odiare into Paridon as a Pocket Domain, but having a "Little Italy" part of Paridon just seemed to good an opportunity to miss.
Jamesfirecat, I thank you! My players, however, will probably be cursing you!
"Quick, to the Sir Tristen-Signal!"
EDIT: I'd just like to point out that prior to posting the above, I hadn't actually read the "Batman in Ravenloft" thread, so independently came up with the above.
The Lesser Evil wrote:With the above in mind, the important thing I take away is conflicting desires, aspirations to a higher good but impulses towards darker deeds. Therefore, I think your Urik von Kharkov could use something to makes his goals at odds with each other. Perhaps on some level Urik identified with and sympathized with the indigenous people, but he betrayed them anyway in the desire to pave the way for the destiny promised to his own people by the powers that be. The Dark Powers don't need to necessarily transform him permanently, but perhaps he changes back and forth involuntarily? (Reflecting a cat's fickleness, and perhaps Urik's). Nova Vaasa might be a domain you play up the lycanthropy-as-parasite metaphor, especially with that one Nova Vaasan dilemma/aphorisim I can't remember the name of.