The Superfluous Name Thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Darkknight wrote:Nothing to do with Ravenloft... Taken from a past life. Not my real name, but what I was.
You're Adam West? Cool!
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

Sadly no... not the batman... Just a crusader who went too far.
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I use this nick in almost any occasion I need one and it’s also the name I use to almost all my characters. My brother used this name first, many many years ago; it was the name of a toy. I liked it because is a bit similar with my real name. :P
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

Mine is from a character I played online. She looked like an Elf, but was actually a Succubus sent by a demon-prince to seduce another PC to the path of evil (actually, she had to kill him when the seducing didn't go fast enough for the prince's tastel.) She was fun to play. The other PC did manage to get her to try and Ascend, making her even more fun to play as she now tries to understand these mortals running around, and doing good.

I love her :mrgreen:
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Miriel Ithildin wrote:Mine is from a character I played online. She looked like an Elf, but was actually a Succubus sent by a demon-prince to seduce another PC to the path of evil (actually, she had to kill him when the seducing didn't go fast enough for the prince's tastel.) She was fun to play. The other PC did manage to get her to try and Ascend, making her even more fun to play as she now tries to understand these mortals running around, and doing good.
That sounds kind of like a character I played online at one point, Mariamne Kyvaerin. After she died, her old lover started seeing her ghost for fleeting moments and trying to find some way to contact her. He succeeded. Unfortunately, she wasn't a ghost so much as an erinyes with a very elaborate plan . . . :twisted:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

My usual nick before I became "of the Fraternity" is Gotten Grabmal. It is a first edition cavalier PC I created in 1987 and still play with these days.

It is from german, of course: gotten = god, grabmal = tomb.

Gotten slowly went from 3rd level in 1987 to 15th level in 2004, where he got converted to 3.5 ed. and retrofitted to 7th level.

In our D&D gang, we have 2 DMs - in my game, we are playing Ravenloft of course, while in the other game Gotten is now adventuring in Cauldron (the Dungeon mag adventures).

Joël
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

Joël, is that the Adventure Path-series?
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I don't know. There was a serie of 8? adventures in Dungeon mag finishing a few months ago that was based in a city called Cauldron.

From what I heard, it is pretty killer :) but Gotten will stand tall and proud amidst the chaos of this adventure ;)

Joël
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

*slaps forehead.*

Sorry, it's the Shackled City adventure path-series. I should have known, my boyfriend collected those issues so he can inflict it on his group some time. Thus, I never read them, since I have some hopes of being able to play with them then, but he said it was quite interesting.
Last edited by Yattara on Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

Well, my nickname is a trick of words.

My favorite musician is Martin Walkyier. Martin is known for his great skill in metaphors and word-plays. Anyway, I was fooling around one day and thinking of his band "Sabbat" made me combine "sabbat" with "attack" hence "sabbattack"
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

Well my name is easy to figure out where it came from. I love cats in general. Both the monsters the Midnigh cat and the paka have always intrigued me. So, when it cmae time to pick a name I used one of the cat related monsters.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

My name on this boards is an allusion to Walter Scott's *Ivanhoe*. I. uses that name when he fights in disguise at the Sheffield tournament and is badly wounded.
I picked *Desdichado*, because it actually refers to my love for medieval fantasy and to my Spanish origin. *The best name I ever picked as a nick, IMO; I think I will use it always from now on.*
BTW, no offense please, Dark Knight, but my other choice was actually Adam West...

Besides, I am known as Ivid (the Bowman) or as Zeraph,
but I feel most comfortable if you simply call me by my name,
Rafael.

:D
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Mine is a reference to the collectible card game Legend of the Five Rings. As a long-time fan of the Rokugan setting as well as the CCG itself, I think that my adoption of the handle is only natural.

"Hida" is the head family of the Crab Clan, the clan of defense, set against the Shadowlands Horde since the beginning of the Empire, destined to fight against an unbeatable enemy so that the people of the land can mock them behind their backs as uncultured and crude... I feel like that sometimes myself, so I sympathize.

"Jiremi" is just a Japan-ization of my real name, Jeremy. The "Je" sound doesn't exist in Japanese, and "-my" becomes "-mi". I had originally wanted to go with "Kamui", because it's a literal translation of my real name's original meaning ("power of god") but I came to the conclusion that people would think it was an X/1999 reference, and decided against it.

Before Hida Jiremi, I used Cutter Kinseeker (a reference to the amazingly great comic ElfQuest). I decided to be slightly more original for my handle after I got tired of that one. I've been thinking lately about changing it again, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the small amount of cred I've managed to accumulate with this handle. ;)

Hida Jiremi
(Jeremy Puckett)
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

hida_jiremi wrote:Before Hida Jiremi, I used Cutter Kinseeker (a reference to the amazingly great comic ElfQuest). I decided to be slightly more original for my handle after I got tired of that one. I've been thinking lately about changing it again, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the small amount of cred I've managed to accumulate with this handle. ;)

Hida Jiremi
(Jeremy Puckett)
Nice, I loved Elfquest. I still have my copy of Blood of Ten Chiefs sitting around here somewhere.

My name is from when I was taking Latin in high school. Scipio was the name of a Roman general. He defeated Hannibal in the second punic war. Since then I've picked up the name for one of the NPCs in my games, Dr Cornelius Scipio.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

My name is stolen from White Wolf actually.

Troile is a character in Vampire: The Masquerade.

I started using it in a text based roleplaying game then it became my handle for a while.

This is one of the only places I still use it I think. I mostly just use my real name now. I guess I'm not as much of a geek as I used to be.