Scariest Movie Moments

Books, movies, television and everything else
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

when i saw that, i had the inexplicable urge to run up to the corpse and begin to step on the roaches in an act of genocide. i felt the same way in the second Indiana Jones movie. maybe this is my own failed Horror check when confronting the vermin in my old tenament apt in the Bronx.

squish ... squish.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

YIKES!!!! I can't watch that part of Temple of Doom either, it jut freaks me out, all those giant bugs *eewwwww....* *shudders*

I gotta stop thinking about insects or I will never get to sleep tonight. Gotta think about nice things like flesh eating zombies and so forth ;)

Just think, a big guy like me (6' 4 barefoot, 6' 7 in my boots) terrified of little insects, I just can't stand them though.
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

People brains straight from the skull (its eyes wide open!), eels exploding out of snakes, and a guy gets his heart ripped - but what scares you is the bugs? Now, for scary, try the soup...

Oh, and as for bugs.. have you ever noticed that sometimes when your sleeping the pillow shifts beneath your head, kind of like theirs a million bugs inside?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Oh, and as for bugs.. have you ever noticed that sometimes when your sleeping the pillow shifts beneath your head, kind of like theirs a million bugs inside?
Not really, I sleep like a log ;)

The Cenobites in Hellraiser 1 (that being the only one I've seen in the series. On rewatching it, meh, I like Nightbreed better, but I digress), and the dead, emotionless delivery of their lines. It freaks me out, what they talk about and how they talk about it.

I have this thing about animated toys, and as such have never been able to watch Chucky or assorted movies. They freak me out.
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
ScS of the Fraternity

Oooh, that's good.

One thing really freaked me out on The TommyKnockers, when the marrionett suddenly says to the woman in that alien voice:
"Too... Late... Grace"
Evil Reigns!!!!
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

I haven't seen that one. Heck, I didn't even know there had been a movie made of that book. Now I just want to reread it.

Speaking of Nightbreed, the very last scene, where the former priest, now mutated by Baphomet's blood, uses that to resurrect Decker. The man was a bigger monster than those living in Midian, and now he's back to prey on the unwary again. Yrch! Though I can live with the irony he's now one of those he's hunting ;)
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Oh! Speaking of creepy-crawlies, how could I have forgotten to mention the Shelob scene in RotK--the one where she's stalking and then webbing Frodo? I'm arachnophobic, and that scene literally paralyzes me in my seat. I like to take convenient bathroom breaks at that point.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Aliens (the 2nd). I thought the first movie was terrifying, the second was multiplying it by 20.

Joël
sabbattack
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by sabbattack »

No,no Joel, I totally disagree with you. The second movie was a typical Hollywood blockbuster. No atmosphere, no thrills (well at least not cheap ones), and one of the most stupid scenes in Sci-fi history (IMO at least), Ripley boxing against the queen.

On the contrary, Alien 3 had great atmosphere and was quite thrilling.
Beauty is in the [i]eye[/i] of the Beholder. Everything else is in its stomach....

I always respected [b]Fixxxer[/b], so I proudly present you [url=http://www.dndarchive.com]his own DnD site[/url]!!
ScS of the Fraternity

I disagree, or at least, about the stupidity of Aliens.

Now, from a pure horror aspect, number one was much scarier... but, number 2 was the one that really stuck with me.

In Alien, the characters were a little too fantastic, and in many cases, way too stupid. Ripply and the black guy were the only people who had a clue - everyone else got themselves killed by their own stupidity (except perhaps Cain and the cat-guy, since they can chalk everything to ignorance).

Aliens however, was scarrier on a deeper level. As a kid watching the movie, I was scared in a serious way. The whole idea was just so dreadful - being stranded on a planet, surrounded by a horde of unstopable alien killers, with every defense being chipped away as the monsters close in.
Part of what made it real was the characters. The people wern't bizzare, nor were they outright stupid (except maybe the Lt.). Some were cowardly, yes, and some were just plain scummy (Paul Riser) - but you still felt as if you might have made the same mistakes.

Now, aliens 3 wasn't bad at all. In many ways, it had the same benifits of 2, what with decent characters and good mood and setting. For some reason it got a hugly bad rap.

Of course, for a really scarry movie try Alien Ressurection. Yes, this piece of utter crap is a movie, and the producers, writers and directors responsible are running free... possibly even right behind you!
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I always found Alien and Aliens on par with each other, they just do the same thing in different ways. Never enjoyed Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection all tht much though. The book for Alien 3 was good, but the movie was a disappointment.

As for Shelob, she is one of thsoe big bugs that never scared me, same with Eight Legged Freaks. The proper spiders in the latter scared me before they started to grow, but when they were bit they were just to poorly done to scare me.
Swallow your soul!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Wow. No one mentioned The Shining? As a kid, watching those twin girls show up at the end of the hall messed with me for years. Years and years.

The creepy minister from Poltergeist 2 messed with me, too. But as an adult, I find the movie...well...

How about Silence of the Lambs when we figured out who was really in the ambulance?

Recent movies that made me creeped out? The piano scene in The Others. How about the very, very end of the recent Dawn of the Dead movie? Where you find out what really happened to everyone in the end?

Some big time honorable mentions - these are honorable mentions because they aren't from horror movies per se:

The knife stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan the movie theater was dead silent except for one person's gasp. And that gasp was for all of us.

A recent episode of Third Watch here in the states. In the episode, a little boy calls the police, and is very worried. Daddy seems to be upset. We see the perspective of the little boy hiding under the kitchen sink. He watches helplessly as his father beats his mother down behind a counter. The mother thrashes around and screams. We all think it's a terrible beating - which is viceral enough. But then the father grabs the kitchen knife.... The chilling part of this scene is that we never see the act. We just see the mother's legs struggling and the up and down motion of the father's back.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:Wow. No one mentioned The Shining? As a kid, watching those twin girls show up at the end of the hall messed with me for years. Years and years.

The knife stabbing scene in Saving Private Ryan the movie theater was dead silent except for one person's gasp. And that gasp was for all of us.
that knife-stabbing scene made my insides curl up the way only a few movies can. the fact that it wasnt a "horror" movie made the impact even more significant. i recently watched the Shining again (uncut and uncensored for the first time) and was really impressed. i hadnt watched it since i was in JR HIGH? i think ...
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: Just think, a big guy like me (6' 4 barefoot, 6' 7 in my boots) terrified of little insects, I just can't stand them though.
now that's a scary image. "Large man cringes at small bugs". i'm 5'7" and since i'm alot closer to the ground, i get a much vetter view of those little beasties.

(In Marlon Brando voice) Oh the Horror.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:Troll: I was only 9 or 10 when I first saw this movie, but the little bugger running around and transforming people into plant-like pods (which spawned evil ghoulies) really freaked me out at the time. It doesn't seem that scary in retrospect, but I didn't sleep well for weeks... :shock:
Ditto. I think I was about the same age when I first saw it (The only movie where I had to leave the theater because I was too scared), and a little younger when I first saw American Werewolf in London (on video). Also a bad idea, though I managed to see it all the way through, I think the humorous bits helped there.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."