Page 23 of 186
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:39 pm
by ewancummins
alhoon wrote:Senate\Council? That is reasonable for a city this size; I really don't think it could be ran by a single person.
Yeah, I assume Elrod was aware of this, and chose the senate/ council partly for that reason.
In any case, it works.
I don't think she (Elrod) specifies which class of people can vote, but I have assumed that only male adult citizens with a certain taxable amount of property can vote or hold public office.
Foreigners, immigrants not granted a writ of citizenship, free or indentured servants, apprentices, vagrants, poor tradesmen, sailors, most demihumans and and most women are out.
But people who cannot vote or hold city offices might still be able to join a guild. This is how the tradesmen excluded from government can still have some influence, as they help select guild officers who advise the city fathers.
Elrod gives almost no details on religion, except that it is part of city life. I made up my own stuff, as you know. As I see it, the temples have different rules than the civic government, but also work with it. A civic temple in the municipal district honors the non-evil major gods and the local pantheon.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:44 pm
by ewancummins
The main thing I noticed looking at the map was the lack of any big river for fresh water. But rather than alter it, I decided to go with small streams, wells, cisterns, and an underground aqueduct system.
You guys have some underground water delivery systems in Greece, as I recall. Quite old.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:45 pm
by steveflam
Awright!!! We can does fishing

Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 pm
by ewancummins
steveflam wrote:Awright!!! We can does fishing

Yeah, fishing is an important industry here. This is done out in the bay and the waters beyond.
Then fish can be salted or smoked for shipping further abroad.
Fishwives and kids with pushcarts sell fresh/live seafood in Fishtown and the Warehouse District.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:50 pm
by ewancummins
RE DRAGONS AND (population) DENSITY:
Dragons and Giants are the heavy hitters of AD&D2E, notably beefed up from First Edition. I plan to use these monsters mainly in distant wilderness regions. The presence of a big, hungry dragon is a good reason for settlers to keep out!
While I am not going as far as Harn goes towards fantasy-realism, I do plan on keeping the numbers and types of monsters on the reasonable side.
A wizard might conjure all sorts of things, so expect the unexpected with summoners...
If we keep playing past the first adventure, I will create an encounter table for POVERO, or whatever area the party is adventuring in.
That's behind the screen stuff.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:21 am
by alhoon
ewancummins wrote:The main thing I noticed looking at the map was the lack of any big river for fresh water. But rather than alter it, I decided to go with small streams, wells, cisterns, and an underground aqueduct system.
You guys have some underground water delivery systems in Greece, as I recall. Quite old.
Those are 4 millennia old and we didn't make any since Myceneans destroyed Minoans 3200 years ago...
The ROMANS were doing that. We didn't make everything. It was the Romans that said "Look, we WILL tame the world. There's not enough water? We will bring more; we will make our own rivers"
HOWEVER, they used lead in the pipes. Do you know any plumber? Oh, right. Fild.
As for the "Nearly no information on who can vote, or on religion" that's because DMs make their own rules. If it's not important for the adventure, why forcing the DM's shoes?
If a DM wants to make a rule that only fathers and grandmothers can vote unless they are gentry\nobility, so be it. Or perhaps only the guild-heads vote and each guild has its own rules. Anyway, my point is: Elrod did well to not dwell in minutia that you can do yourself.
The real question I would like to know the answer of (at least in your game, I don't know pnElrod) is of course: What is in the couple square miles large market square? large open areas with the guild houses and warehouses next to them? Along with a few shady houses and guard posts?
The commercial center with statues and closed-roof markets with splendid and decorated guild headquarters and expensive prime-estate?
Both? Something in between?
Damn, that's an interesting city...
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:29 am
by Adam
ewancummins wrote:Watchmen stop Rogers
Bummer. I'll have to keep an eye out for Rorsach and Doctor Manhattan, then.
I assume they don't have political/military enemies nearby, then. Otherwise a wall-less city would be in trouble, I assume.
I wonder if the presence of dragons would actually discourage walls, though. Ask the French how the Maginot wall worked against the Blitzkrieg for reference, and being able to get the heck out of town in a hurry would be better than being forced to get out through a few gates.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:49 am
by ewancummins
Alhoon:
That's the Market Area. It is not just one big open plaza. It is a neighborhood that contains multiple shops as well as squares. I copied the name straight from the module map, but Market Quarter might be more clear.
Agreed about detail. Elrod gave enough info for me to like POVERO and get excited about a game there, and kept it light enough that I don't feel constrained by canon. It all comes up to only a few pages, including the initial short description, the sketch map and, and in-adventure descriptions of specific locations.
The city is easy to convert, add, expand, etc.
good design.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:44 am
by VAN
Tom will try to sneak in later with Gertie.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:09 am
by steveflam
VAN wrote:Tom will try to sneak in later with Gertie.
Gertie is such a good influence on her big bro

Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:45 am
by VAN
Haha, don't forget he is half-elf he can see in the dark so hopefully getting in will not be a problem

Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:01 pm
by alhoon
BTW Ewan, did you finally get my char?
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:04 pm
by ewancummins
alhoon wrote:BTW Ewan, did you finally get my char?
I still cannot read the file format.
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:09 pm
by Lord Skybolt
Here some stat Rolls if I ever play .
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]
Re: P N Elrod
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:11 pm
by Lord Skybolt
Here another set
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]
[dice]5[/dice]