Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ewancummins wrote:SEARCHERS

Sir Egremore chuckles. ''I expect you were glad to see the stars again, and gladder still to see the sun. But good luck to you if you do go back underground."

The grizzled old lieutenant says, ''Aye, and if you are scouting around for the way into the mountain, you'd best beware of Old Red-Rack. ''
"Well that's quite the name," Roald says. "Who, or what, is this Red-Rack you speak of?"
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:SEARCHERS

Sir Egremore chuckles. ''I expect you were glad to see the stars again, and gladder still to see the sun. But good luck to you if you do go back underground."

The grizzled old lieutenant says, ''Aye, and if you are scouting around for the way into the mountain, you'd best beware of Old Red-Rack. ''
"Well that's quite the name," Roald says. "Who, or what, is this Red-Rack you speak of?"
The old warrior says, ''Old Red-Rack is a demon that dyes its antlers with blood. Goes on two legs like a man, but sometimes on four like a beast. It's got antlers like a big elk, tushes like a boar, and hands as cunning as the paws on one of those masked robber critters. Old Red-Rack steals hunters' weapons and uses them to kill men. It's never been trapped, treed, nor tracked to its lair. Anyone it catches alone in the piney woods or on the mountainside at night, the monster rips that poor bastard open and eats his innards.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

VIEW CONTENT:
alhoon wrote:Termelan is there by the knight. He has a crossbow strapped to his back and requests permission from Gunnar to use it.
As the men flee isnide, Termelan looks at the knight and asks "since we won't get them by surprise, should I start singing a tone of my homeland, a paean our soldiers sing before engaging enemies? I am positive it will bolster the spirits of your men."

Termelan wears openly the gift the duke gave him.
Termelan turns to Safana. "Madam, I'm glad that you are fit enough to take the fight to those thugs."
Waiting Gunnar's directions on when he should start the morale-boosting paean of his country, he tells everyone "I'm honored that you allow me to fight beside you".
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:
The old warrior says, ''Old Red-Rack is a demon that dyes its antlers with blood. Goes on two legs like a man, but sometimes on four like a beast. It's got antlers like a big elk, tushes like a boar, and hands as cunning as the paws on one of those masked robber critters. Old Red-Rack steals hunters' weapons and uses them to kill men. It's never been trapped, treed, nor tracked to its lair. Anyone it catches alone in the piney woods or on the mountainside at night, the monster rips that poor bastard open and eats his innards.''
Roald arch an eyebrow. "Oh? Is that all? Just a demonic Elk-Pig? You had me worried there for a moment."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
Roald arch an eyebrow. "Oh? Is that all? Just a demonic Elk-Pig? You had me worried there for a moment."

The old bandit says,
"It'll rip you open and feast on your giblets, Sir Roald. I've seen what it can do to a man. Beware!"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Searchers.

Roald chuckles. "Hardly the worst monster I've faced; you should meet some members of my extended family. But I'll take your warning. I'd like to see the end of the adventure with my giblets right where they are."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Searchers.

Roald chuckles. "Hardly the worst monster I've faced; you should meet some members of my extended family. But I'll take your warning. I'd like to see the end of the adventure with my giblets right where they are."

One of Sir Egremore's other lieutenants, a man with cropped ears and a hatchet face, speaks up.
"Sir Roald, what your friend Master Cormac said about our leader reminds me of you. You don't act like a fellow who came up wearing silk britches. Mind telling us how you won your spurs?"

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Searchers.

Roald shrugs. "I helped break the Siege of Haes a few months back. Not by myself, mind you." He points to Captain Renault. "He was there for most of it. I just sort of showed up at the end."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Searchers.

Roald shrugs. "I helped break the Siege of Haes a few months back. Not by myself, mind you." He points to Captain Renault. "He was there for most of it. I just sort of showed up at the end."

Crop-Ears bobs his head.
"Oh, right! Now I know who you are. You're the bastard son of the old Duke of Tuornen. We've heard the story even out here."

The whole table falls silent.

Men turn and look at Roald.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Searchers

"There's a story? Well, I hope it was a good one." Roald gestures to the men around the table. "Want to hear the story about how Riegon Alam got stabbed to death by a halfling?"

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Searchers

"There's a story? Well, I hope it was a good one." Roald gestures to the men around the table. "Want to hear the story about how Riegon Alam got stabbed to death by a halfling?"
No one answers that question. Men keep on staring.
Even Sir Egelmore...
VIEW CONTENT:
OOC DM bedtime

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana gives the bard a slightly watery smile, and tugs her cloak more closely around her.

"A bit of spirit-raising would go down quite well just now..."

She eyes the unprepossessing inn with a dubious expression on her face. She considers the hooded figures as they head in and mutters quietly too herself.

"I think this has reached the point where we might have to start playing for keeps..."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

THE RAID

Cranstel stands a step back from Safana, trying to look like he belongs.

"Let us just be certain that we find a sample of this poison, madam," he chirps in, "Else I'm not certain I'll be able to concoct a cure. And, perhaps, the men should be warned to keep an eye out for it as well? These thugs have already shown a proclivity for poison use."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

SEARCHERS

Cormac looks confusedly between the men and Sir Roald.

"Ah," he hesitatingly says, "This ain't gonna be a problem, is it?"

One hand nervously drops below the level of the table.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:SEARCHERS

Cormac looks confusedly between the men and Sir Roald.

"Ah," he hesitatingly says, "This ain't gonna be a problem, is it?"

One hand nervously drops below the level of the table.

Sir Egermore laughs.
"If I had realized who Sir Roald's father...well, a pretty ransom is always welcome. But you have all eaten at my table, under my protection. You all enjoy the guest right now, and we are men of honor here. Men who fear the vengeance of the gods, too."
The robber knight looks around the table. Heads nod.
"Good. No trouble then, Master Cormac."