Mists of Winter: Chapter One

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Mists of Winter: Chapter One

Post by Adam »

Bennedict gives a wry look to the girl, before continuing.

"You should be careful there, fraulein," he says, "Seems there is a killer on the loose. One that lures its victims with pipe music. May be best to give the river a wide-berth, for the time being."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KAT
kintire wrote:Kat smiles pleasantly at him, eyes roving his clothing and accoutriments, lingering very briefly on the jewelled dagger

"Greetings, good sir. May I say you are looking very fine this evening. I would be happy to share a drink with you while we watch the show. I hear there is an especially fine show here, and a skilled bard!"

She speaks in a conversational tone and a neutral accent, but pitches her comments just loud enough that her interest in the bard is audible to nearby tables
"Oh, yes, him. The Kartakan. His music satisfies the hungry heart.''

When a server comes by the table, Kat's companion orders a bottle of wine.
"Something white, a little on the sweet side, and with ice, please. And get her whatever she likes-"

He nods towards Kat.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RAEN
alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:KAT, SARA, AND RAEN
THE LORELEI
Raen waits for his turn with the veiled woman. When she passes near him, even if she's not looking or addressing him, he just pushes a chair out with his leg, smiles and invites her to sit.
The young woman sits down without missing a beat.

"Thank you."
At this short distance the veil softens and blurs her face as a one too many cups of wine might do, but no more. Raen sees a high forehead, clear skin, big brown eyes, dainty nose, and engaging smile.

"How do you like the place, mister?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN, TWO GOATS
Adam wrote:Bennedict gives a wry look to the girl, before continuing.

"You should be careful there, fraulein," he says, "Seems there is a killer on the loose. One that lures its victims with pipe music. May be best to give the river a wide-berth, for the time being."

Mathilde dry swallows.

"Killer... Oh!"

The cubby old proprietress arrives, takes the girl by the arm, and marches her off to the back hall, out of sight.

Munchen barks, leaps up from his spot near the fireplace, and dashes about the room, knocking over chairs.
He stops near the door that opens onto the street and sniffs at the jamb.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

KAT, SARA, AND RAEN
THE LORELEI

Raen doesn't try to suppress his Darkonese accent talking to this woman trying make himself sound more "exotic".

"This is a very lovely establishment, almost as lovely as the company in my table I would say. I have heard nice things about the Lorelei; word travels easily in Richemulot. I have heard of excellent and tasteful shows by accomplished and recognized singers and bards. Does this fine establishment belong to you or your husband my Lady?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn looks over at the hound, clearly curious but just as clearly not going to touch the creature.

"Ah, erm, Franz?" he asks, "Does your animal need to go out and, ahem, relieve himself?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Munchen!," the man calls after the dog rather forcefully. "I don't know, Benn. Maybe someone is coming that he recognizes? Otherwise maybe he ist trying to warn us."

Franz excuses himself to the servers. "Pardon Munchen. He is fickle sometimes," as he picks up anything the dog knocked over, keeping an eye on the door. He will move to the door once he is finished picking up dropped furniture.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:KAT, SARA, AND RAEN
THE LORELEI

Raen doesn't try to suppress his Darkonese accent talking to this woman trying make himself sound more "exotic".

"This is a very lovely establishment, almost as lovely as the company in my table I would say. I have heard nice things about the Lorelei; word travels easily in Richemulot. I have heard of excellent and tasteful shows by accomplished and recognized singers and bards. Does this fine establishment belong to you or your husband my Lady?"
"It's all mine."
She waggles two fingers towards a servant boy, who ducks behind curtains.
Her smiles grows wider behind the veil.
''You may call me Miss Sophie. Madam is for the girls and the gendarmes.''

The boy-- who does not wear a mask-- returns with a silver platter on which stands a pair of miniature goblets and a crystal decanter. Amber fluid sloshes within the decanter as the boy sets the whole arrangement down on the table top.

Miss Sophie asks Raen,
'' Will you join me in a toast?'

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

BENN, FRANZ, MUNCHEN
tarlyn wrote:"Munchen!," the man calls after the dog rather forcefully. "I don't know, Benn. Maybe someone is coming that he recognizes? Otherwise maybe he ist trying to warn us."

Franz excuses himself to the servers. "Pardon Munchen. He is fickle sometimes," as he picks up anything the dog knocked over, keeping an eye on the door. He will move to the door once he is finished picking up dropped furniture.

A mournful yowl rises outside the door, followed by a ghastly shriek like nothing human.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The hair on the back of Franz' neck stands up on end at the howl, giving him shivers before he regains composure.

"Vut in de name of de hells was dat? Benn, should we go investigate?" His tone is eager and his hands hover near his blades.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict is already moving to the door, his cane adjusted from "walking stick" to "bludgeoning weapon" grip.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Franz takes that as a cue and opens the door. He unsheathes his weapons and heads out, letting Benn take the lead. Munchen will probably head in the right direction so he trusts his animal companions senses here.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FRANZ
BENN
MUNCHEN
tarlyn wrote:Franz takes that as a cue and opens the door. He unsheathes his weapons and heads out, letting Benn take the lead. Munchen will probably head in the right direction so he trusts his animal companions senses here.
Adam wrote:Bennedict is already moving to the door, his cane adjusted from "walking stick" to "bludgeoning weapon" grip.
Out in the street, Franz and Benn find muddled tracks, and drag marks of something small--maybe the size of a baby-- in the light snow. They also see a smear of dark red liquid across the doorstep; Franz has stepped in it.

Munchen licks the red stuff.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

KAT

Kat smiles

"I'll have the same."

She glances back at her companion. She is not used to masked events... she doesn't usually move in these circles, and finds herself groping for a conversation topic that will be interesting but maintain anonymity...

"So is that what brings you here? Or just wine and good company?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:KAT

Kat smiles

"I'll have the same."

She glances back at her companion. She is not used to masked events... she doesn't usually move in these circles, and finds herself groping for a conversation topic that will be interesting but maintain anonymity...

"So is that what brings you here? Or just wine and good company?"
Cherub-mask smiles and laughs.
"Ah, there is a certain woman among those who dwell in this house... no mask can hide her grace and charm from me. She..."
He chuckles. "Ah, but I oughtn't discuss this matter with you. It could be seen as rude. Your clever and daring choice of masculine garb made me forget my good manners, mademoiselle-- please forgive me."

The wine arrives.
He pours a round of drinks for Kat and himself.

"From you, I seek conversation and perhaps friendship. I cannot place my finger on it, but you have a certain...special quality. I sense you are, like me, something of adventurous spirit? Am I right?"