Mists over the Musarde: The Second Interlude

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys gets to his feet.

''Oh, Sir Cirdan- you startled me! Yes- I'm alright, Norzak, thank you.''

The merchant sets his chair upright and sits back down with as much dignity as he can muster.

He looks over at Dorgio.

''What's that you've got there- a mouse?''

Dorgio can feel the 'mouse' skittering about frantically, trapped between his right hand and his chest. This produces a very unpleasant tickling sensation. Dorgio may have experienced rodents running across his body in the past- perhaps as he slept in a farmer's barn or a cheap flophouse in the city- but those ones had SKIN and FLESH to cover their tiny bones.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

He bites his lower lip, and very slowly, reaches into his tunic with his left hand to try to grab the mouse. If successful, he will slowly extricate the thing, this time with an iron grip. Through it all, he manages to say, "Someone get very small rope."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:He bites his lower lip, and very slowly, reaches into his tunic with his left hand to try to grab the mouse. If successful, he will slowly extricate the thing, this time with an iron grip. Through it all, he manages to say, "Someone get very small rope."

Dorgio manages to grab the tiny wriggling skeleton by the tail. It squirms about in his grip, just as a living mouse would, but without making noise. It doesn't so much as squeak.

Denys leans foward in his chair, trying to get a better look. He squints at the tiny prisoner for a moment, then exclaims-

''What the devil!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak recoils from the mouse. "Taint natural" he mutters. "I's got me some rope I kin cut, bub." The dwarf removes his dagger and reaching into one of his pouches removes some rope. He cuts it along its length so as to cut it in half so they can use it on the mouse.

His eyes go to the broken door every once in a while and he just shakes his head, muttering in dwarvish to himself. He'd keep his comments to himself for now.

"Awright, 'ere's some rope, Dorgio." He moves forward and with the help of Dorgio, ties the mouse up. "I'd use the other piece as a leash but we'd just rip it's 'ead off an" he pauses as if not believeing what he's going to say "it would ... run...away?"

"So who's responsible fer this thing? Ey Jon, have a look at this thing." Norzak looks to the young man and beckons him. "Ever seen any like these in them sewers?"
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"Rats that wont die. Thats a ratcatchers worst fear. I've heard stories, but have never seen one. Like a Rat Kink."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The little skeleton, bound with strands cut from Norzak's rope, continues to wiggle as Dorgio dangles it on a string.

Denys, now standing, says-

''It's alive! Sorcery, of course. Ah.....is it dangerous?''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

" It's dangerous in that it relays are words or it replays them for it's master later, and we need to make sure their are no other of it's ilk in your house . " Alain commenting on what should be done next .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys blanches.

'' More? The house is so big, and that thing is so tiny, there are a hundred places where something that small and quick could hide. My word, there could be dozens of these little creepers, watching us all the time!''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Watching us, and reporting back to their master."

Bennedict shakes his head ruefully. "I wonder if there is any place in this city where it will be safe to carry out a conversation that the Doctor will not hear."

His eyes brighten in a moment, however, an idea dawning on him. "If these are simple undead, as they appear, it may be simple enough to drive them off, at least momentarily. Brother Dorgio, I assume you are able to channel positive energy to drive away undead creatures. I believe the church of the Morninglord is especially adept at teaching these techniques?"
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Oh and to your question about me knowing if my boots are magical, yes I know they are imbued with some minor magics ." Alain answering Benn's previous about his boots .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Well we's a needin' ta detect more o magics, people. Hey, here's an idea. Mebbe we kin follow it back to iss Master. Easy way ta find tha doctor and get Van Dieks location."

"I's kin detect tha magic and so kin DOrgio and Benn. Mebbe we should split up an search the place now."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Cirdan remains motionless as Denys falls and gets up again,
but afterwards addresses him in a softer tone again:

"I am sorry, my friend. I didn't want to frighten you."

The knight keeps his sword drawn, however, and remains at the door like a statue. What the face behind the vizor expresses, one can only guess...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys says to Cirdan,

''No, it's alright. I'm happy to see you here. ''

Your patron wipes his brow with a hankerchief before continuing-

''Things are becoming more dangerous for all of us, I think. That vile little thing-''

-here, he indicates the skeletal mouse in Dorgio hand-

''May be a spy of some sort, a creature of the Doctor's. I suggest we secure my home immediately, or else vacate it and take up someplace else. Then we can discuss the project. It may be one of us has learned something of value. I won't say more, in case spies are listening...''

Turning to the others, he asks-

''Well, what do you say? ''

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio nods, and holding the mouse from the string in one hand, he takes up The Morninglord's symbol in the other hand, and begins chanting the prayer to ward off undeath.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The mouse-skeleton on the string turns to ash!

From upstairs:

''AAAAAAAHHH!!!''

Moments later Evie comes rushing down the staircase.

''Oh, it was HORRIBLE! VILE! Oh, Sir Cirdan, hold me!''

She practically falls into Cirdan's arms. He needs to be careful, lest his sword cut her!

Charlotte then comes down the stairs, a broom in hand.

''Any more of those nasty little things about?''

The servant girl looks a bit scared, but seems to be handling herself well. She clutches the broom tightly and looks about the room, scanning the corners, peeking under the tables, etc.

''Don't you worry, Miss Evie, I swatted it- smashed it to pieces. It won't bother us now.