-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You noticed them? You have a rare eye, M'sieur." Claude LaGrange said amiably enough. His voice was almost hypnotic, rich and mellow and possessed of the kind of tones one normally associated with operatic singers. It seemed almost strange coming from a relatively mild, unprepossessing, almost dumpy figure. "And you assume well. M. Tessier and his father are acquaintances of mine, and of course it is the government's duty to support the arts in whatever way we can. They are the soul of Dementlieu, and to protect them is an honor."Mr. Agale wrote:"Circumstances permitting, I intend to settle down here and call this country my own." Agale replied in earnest. "Would I be correct in assuming that the elaborate yet subtle magical measures to protect this party from the unwanted are of your own devising sir?"
"You seem a man of unusual skills, my Borcan associate." Ambassador Vedarrak murmurred. His own words, cultured and smooth in isolation, nevertheless had the subtle rasp of military authority behind them when compared to the Councilor's. "An arcanist like the Councilor, or a mere dabbler like myself?"
================================================
"The Richemuloise Reniers, you're right." Christophe said pleasantly. "The Professor's my step-uncle, so we're related by marriage. His sister married my father a few years ago. We're also related by blood, but that's something like fourth cousins once removed, I don't even know if anyone's traced the genealogy."Cyrus wrote:"Of the Reniers from Richemulot, I take it?" he asked, "I have only met one other who carries that surname since I arrived in this city. A professor. Should I assume you are related?"
"It's a family thing." The stocky young man said cheerfully enough. "The elders look down on us a bit if we don't do something physical, though it's usually riding or fencing. I'm a bit of an odd man out because I'm fond of wrestling and boxing. You should come by the Gymnasium some day, it's in Bisson Hall. I'll show you around."The Hazlani looked Christophe up and down, seeming impressed by the steel-bending build the nobleman possessed. "You are not what I expected to see from your family," he commented, "Not many nobles spend time performing intense calisthenics."
"Your cousin Felise is a show-hunter, isn't she?" Alain commented tipsily. He took another drink from the wine glass.
"She is. Good at it too." Christophe said with understated pride.
"Mme. Chastel, and you're right, we should." Cerise said, sighing at the prospect of not being able to even find a haunted painting or two. She perked up quickly, though, and looked at the two young men. "Would either of you know where the curator is? We want to talk to her about some art."Cyrus wrote:"Well," Cyrus said graciously and glanced to Cerise, "Perhaps we should look for the curator -- what was her name? She might know much more about these haunted paintings."
"Chastel?" Christophe said, his blue eyes quite guilelessly confused. "I don't think I've met the lady yet."
"That's because you only attend art galleries and museums if someone drags you to them. Troglodyte." Alain said dryly. Christophe's open smile took on a bit of the characteristics of a smirk as he acknowledged the hit with a half-bow. "I saw her earlier this evening. I think she went back to her office, it's probably somewhere in the back."
"Thank you!" Cerise said, cheerful once more. "Come on Cyrus, M. Eisenwald, Kat. Let's go and find the others and then see the curator."
================================================
"George Pinot," the man provided. He didn't add anything further onto the introduction, though he did seem rather amused at the bit of a joke.Celeste wrote:She giggled pleasantly, presenting a small curtsey to her observers. “There: my judgment has been passed. I fervently hope that it has proved enlightening!” She cast an encouraging look at the older gentleman. “Oh, pardon me! I do go on so. I do not believe that I have had the pleasure of your acquaintance, Monsieur...?”
"You do make it sound much better than I think of it," the older man said, stroking his beard. "I simply thought of it as a woman with a vase."
===============================================
"Oh! Dear Marie! I was just talking with her the other day, you know, about several of the darling little figurines she's keeping in the Guignol museum. Why, the minute I saw them I set about trying to buy one for my own manor, but it seems no one was willing to sell. Well, Marie was much more understanding than the rest of the museum staff about it-" Loiseau had gotten started, and one could only hope that she would eventually meander back around to the actual topic. "All this nonsense about 'priceless historical artifacts.' Aren't all of these lovely paintings and sculptures just as important? Now, Marie and I can see eye to eye on this sort of thing. There's a woman who understands how things ought to be. There's a woman of character! Not like these new and uppity folks who want to do everything without a by-your-leave. Well! I don't believe she's out and about right now. She's getting on in the years, you know, and doesn't care for the excessive hubbub of these events. I believe she chose to stay in her office. And such a shame, too, for she is such an elegant lady, of such good breeding! And anyone who insinuates otherwise just because she doesn't heed to their beck and call should think twice about it, I say. Really, to make such a fuss over a few missed curations - how hard can it be to look at a painting? To insinuate she should be put aside just for that? And she really does have the most exquisite taste, she has this collection of dolls, you know, that are just the most wonderful things-"Kerrian wrote:"Is there any chance you've seen Mme Chastel about?" He asked, turning the topic away from charity balls and the cultural imperatives behind Dementlieuese art. "There was a matter that I thought it might be worth speaking with her about...but with everyone masked..I haven't had the best time of things finding her."
Without anyone else to interrupt her, Madame Loiseau did not seem to feel any need to stop talking.


