The City of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: The City of Ravenloft

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Five wrote:Vorostokov - Gregor Zolnik (CE loup du noir lycanthrope fighter)
Lycanthrope ranger, surely. The only reason he wasn't one in the original write-up was because they couldn't be evil in 2E.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Added Farelle, Necropolis, and Sri Raji to the domains and darklords checklist. I don't know how they escaped.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote: Considering Meredoth's misanthropy and dislike of the responsibilities of rulership, I'd make him the reclusive, bad-tempered director of the city's biggest graveyard. He never bothers to come to council meetings, and in the rare event he needs to communicate or trade with anyone, he employs middlemen recruited from the nearby docks, mostly from the Grabenite ethnic group that live there. No need to give him a whole sea for a domain if he's got the dead of an entire city to work with: he'll be in necromancer-heaven, just staying holed up in his cemetery.
Yeah, that works just nice. I was wondering about the main graveyard. I don't want Death to rule it (a little too generic for my liking), but Meredoth fits. Good one.

Maybe Necropolis can be the graveyard with Meredoth ruling, replacing Death. Or, if Death is to be kept, then serving death.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Vorostokov - Gregor Zolnik (CE loup du noir lycanthrope fighter)

Lycanthrope ranger, surely. The only reason he wasn't one in the original write-up was because they couldn't be evil in 2E.
I've noticed that with a few of them. They can be tweaked at any time.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Manofevil wrote:Well, I want the pollutants to turn the South River black so that Richemulot can keep it's black water. See, that's the way diverse cities like this and New York are. One districts problems feed anothers.
No, that's good. Location and blurb are fine. It's fits in perfectly in fact. I was just referring to the name of his business.

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Five wrote:Maybe Necropolis can be the graveyard with Meredoth ruling, replacing Death. Or, if Death is to be kept, then serving death.
Or, if Darkon is becoming the university district, Necropolis could be a building on campus that was used for arcane research there, until an experiment got out of control and turned the facility into a deadly negative-energy zone. City police and campus security managed to seal off the location, but students who sneak up to the boundary-lines on a dare swear they can hear the moans of the researchers and their unfortunate student aides, still trapped inside and unable to rest in death.

For a time, it looked like Chancellor Azalin would lose his position over the disaster, and he was forced to take a leave of absence and go into hiding over the scandal. But none of the other faculty proved equal to the task of running the university, and he eventually reclaimed his place.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Ha. My eyes be damned. I really need to go back and re-read before I think out loud...

Btw, does anybody know how I can retrieve a saved message? I hit the wrong button by accident and I just lost a few thoughts that I had.
Last edited by Five on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Five wrote:Btw, does anybody know how I can retrieve a saved message? I hit the wrong button by accident and I just lost a few thoughts that I had.
You can try hitting "back" a few times in your browser. And if you get back to the "post a reply" page and it's blank, try a ctrl-Z. But if that doesn't work, sorry, it's probably lost for good.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Nosos - Malus Sceleris (NE human fighter)
The so-called "Miner's District". A filthy sprawl inhabited by poor, overworked, selfish, pasty-skinned roughnecks, this place is barely controlled anarchy. Only the greedy rich can tolerate such a miserable compost of humanity, and their lavish masquerade balls are perhaps their ultimate (and guarded) escape from the dregs beneath their feet. The mining baron Malus Sceleris does what he wants and when he wants, and none dare object.

Just south of the Southern river, just east of the city proper, in the shadows of Madness Mountain, lies Nosos camp, a crude company town dominated by the mining company, Scleris Industries. The company is always right in this place and many and loud are the complaints from city dwellers about the waste dumped into the South River
This more than lucrative company has recently garnered the attention of many of the city's deep-pocketed investors. Yet a bidding war is quickly brewing between Chancellor Azalin's agents and those representing the Falkovnian Ministry of Science. As a result many of the other investors are suddenly losing interest. Others are silently standing by, hoping this war of words will develop into open street riots. With luck, the aftermath will drive acquisition costs low but spike profit high.

(Enter Malken)
Last edited by Five on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Gonzoron - Thanks. It never worked, but thanks all the same.

Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:
Five wrote:Maybe Necropolis can be the graveyard with Meredoth ruling, replacing Death. Or, if Death is to be kept, then serving death.
Or, if Darkon is becoming the university district, Necropolis could be a building on campus that was used for arcane research there, until an experiment got out of control and turned the facility into a deadly negative-energy zone. City police and campus security managed to seal off the location, but students who sneak up to the boundary-lines on a dare swear they can hear the moans of the researchers and their unfortunate student aides, still trapped inside and unable to rest in death.

For a time, it looked like Chancellor Azalin would lose his position over the disaster, and he was forced to take a leave of absence and go into hiding over the scandal. But none of the other faculty proved equal to the task of running the university, and he eventually reclaimed his place.
Well the university district is actually Dementlieu, but this is still a good idea, because Necropolis is in the northwestern part of Darkon. Translate that to the city of Ravenloft and it butts right up against the hospital district in the Lamordian Quarter, which includes hospitals, asylums, and the cities medical college. Pity the poor Burke or Hare who tries to bodysnatch.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

There's no reason why we can't keep both. Dementlieu is known for its portrait and landscape artists, as well as its fashion, so maybe we can remold Dementlieu to an area of schools specializing in the arts..?

Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Added Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Children of the Night to the secondary characters checklist.

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Five wrote:There's no reason why we can't keep both. Dementlieu is known for its portrait and landscape artists, as well as its fashion, so maybe we can remold Dementlieu to an area of schools specializing in the arts..?
Not just arts, but fancy "finishing schools" for young noblewomen, and academies catering to the highborn. Azalin's university, and the medical schools in Lamordia District, would be for people bound for the professions; Dementlieu's are for the silver-spoon elite who'll never actually have to work for a living.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Pharazia - Diamabel (CE human fighter)
In a waterfront pub of some repute is a drunken sailor who is known to babble on from time to time about an encounter he had with a man he calls "Rudy". The sailor claims that one night this man entered the pub in rather dire straights, frantically asking questions about some jeweller in some area of the city. The sailor's recollection of the specifics varies with each telling of his story. His warning however, does not. This jeweller is said by Rudy to possess a strange gem that when viewed draws the eye to a queer, bloodred swirl within its depths. Before long it'll claim that person's soul, trapping it in an upside-down land where angels are demons, and other such embellishes added to the story by the drunk every time it is told. The proprietor of the pub allows the sailor to spew his story from time to time (usually when his other entertainment has cancelled or is running late), but is known to toss the man out into the street when the drunken sod becomes overly aggressive in the defence of his story.
Scaena - Lemot Sediam Juste (CE human illusionist)
This goes anywhere and everywhere. "The term "land" is a slight misnomer, since Scaena is actually just a single building. The theater manifests itself in different lands, often usurping the place of another theater while it exists in that land. The exterior of the building takes on a variety of appearances, but generally its external architecture matches the cultural level and social expectations of the domain it is inhabiting." - Domains of Dread

Sebua - Tiyet (NE unique mummy)
I'm trying to fit this one within that museum idea I had written about earlier, but I don't want the museum to be crowed with pocket domains. Maybe a museum guard doubles as an agent of Tiyet and lures unsuspecting new guards to that relic/portal and 'feeds' them to Sebua. When asked, the guard quit. The museum can be extremely creepy at night, what with all those odd exhibits and all. Combined with low pay, well...

Only thing with this one that it's a little too similar to Pharazia's. I need more on one or the other.
Saragoss - Draga Salt-Biter (NE wereshark priest)
Scaena - Lemot Sediam Juste (CE human illusionist)
Sea of Sorrows - Captain Pieter van Riese (NE/LN/CE fifth magnitude ghost)
Sebua - Tiyet (NE unique mummy)
Sithicus - Lord Soth (CE death knight)
Souragne - Anton Misroi (LE zombie lord)
Staunton Bluffs - Sir Torrence Bleysmith (LE ghost)
Tepest - Three Hags (CE annis, CE sea hag, NE green hag)
Tovag - Kaz the Destroyer (CE ancient vampire avenger)
Richemulot - Jacqueline Renier (CE wererat)
Valachan - Baron Urik von Kharkov (LE nosferatu vampire)
Vechor - Easan the Mad (CE wood elf wild mage)
Vernrek - Alfred Timothy (LE werewolf priest)
Vorostokov - Gregor Zolnik (CE loup du noir lycanthrope fighter)
Wildlands - King Crocodile (CE crocodile fighter)
Zherisia - Timor - Hive Queen (CE marikith queen), Paridon - Sodo (CE doppleganger)