Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of Strahd: Opinions?

Post by Zilfer »

Not sure if it mentions who made the pact only that they saved Strahd and he was grateful after both he defended them and they defended him on the way back to Barovia. I wouldn't be surprised if she influenced them saving him and healing him.... <.<
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Out of curiosity if anyone is running this for their home game, what system/Dark Power's checks would you use or would you not use them at all? I plan on using some form of them, I've yet to read the Amber Castle where there is some "Voluntary DP checks it sounds like?" I don't know if my players will encounter it, though most of them are slightly leaning towards the evil side, it is more of the "I'm a monster killing monsters." sort of thing. So I wanted to be ready with that if they do some Powers worthy things. :)

Potential Spoiler questions...
VIEW CONTENT:
Just got done with Death House, in one full session. Managed to escape it and the Alchemist fire potion they found in there was used to burn it down after getting out as a sort of "F- you house". Should be interesting when it shows back up again... Just not sure they'll still be in the original town around that time. Guess we'll have to see. xD

I'm also trying to think of encounters with Strahd that aren't combat. Vasili Von Holtz meeting them in Vallaki? I could definitely see if it Ireena gets taken by Izek was it? I want to somehow reveal those two are siblings as well, maybe Mr. Holtz might know/suspect?

Still thinking myself on the Esmerelda/Rictavio and him having possibly murdered her troop and a bit of drama there. Still not sure how I want that to play out, maybe I'll wing it and see what the players interject.

Being invited by Strahd to Dinner, I'm thinking maybe for that we actually holds a dinner since I don't picture Strahd being untrue to his word when it comes to not harming guests as long as the guests behave... If so perhaps have some NPC's of the castle there? Gertrude (Easy way to remind the players of Mad Mary who they probably find early in game), Strahd's faithful/loyal elf servant guy Raha....(forgetting his name here at work), anyone else? Maybe that doll Piddlewick II? If they ask to bring Gertrude home and you want to be real devious you could have Strahd turn her and then set the party loose outside the castle with a thrall to return to her dear mother....

Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

I'm planning on running the adventure using Castles and Crusades and the Domains of Dread for powers checks.
dead
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by dead »

Hi folks,

Where is it referenced that I6 Ravenloft is set in 528 BC ? Just trying to find the canon source. Is it in the 2E Domains of Dread?

Thanks
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

dead wrote:Hi folks,

Where is it referenced that I6 Ravenloft is set in 528 BC ? Just trying to find the canon source. Is it in the 2E Domains of Dread?

Thanks
In Realm of Terror it is mentioned that in 528 "Powerful heroes assault Castle Ravenloft and perish."

In Domains of Dread it is mentioned that in 528 "Powerful heroes assault Castle Ravenloft, confront Strahd, and are killed."

It seems to be a nod towards I6, but it's not set in stone. That I can see.

If you don't mind gettin' down and dirty, then you could offer some, uhh, "ingredients" to the FoS in exchange for some answers. They always seem to have somebody lurking over our shoulders. Just leave it on the table. It'll be gone before you have a change of heart...;)
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
dead
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by dead »

Thanks for that.
Five wrote:If you don't mind gettin' down and dirty, then you could offer some, uhh, "ingredients" to the FoS in exchange for some answers. They always seem to have somebody lurking over our shoulders. Just leave it on the table. It'll be gone before you have a change of heart...;)
I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean put forth some ideas before asking a question? :)
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Nah. I'm just arsin' around.

Truth is, you have to type one of their names three times, in three separate posts if you want a truthful answer from them. Nobody knows what they ask for in return. They probably keep it to PMs. Sinister bunch, those ones.

haha

((What I'm honestly saying, in between the cheesy lines, is that they know more than I about what can be found where in RL.))
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Five is just joking with you, dead, but yes, those are the references that are generally thought to refer to I6.

Now, as Five alluded, it's possible that this was another set of adventurers that died fighting Strahd, and not the events of I6/HoS/EtCR/CoS. But if we say that these events took place in 735 instead, that steps on the toes of Tara Kolyana, who's active around that same time. It would mean that there are two Tatyana reincarnations running around Barovia (the Domain) at the same time: Tara and Ireena. (Plus a 3rd, Queen Kristiana, in Prime Material Barovia also). Not insurmountable, I suppose, just a little clunky. The only "hard" limit I can think of in term of when CoS happens is that In Roots of Evil, Ireena has a crypt in Castle Ravenloft. Since the GC happened in 740, that's probably the upper limit.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Five wrote:
In Domains of Dread it is mentioned that in 528 "Powerful heroes assault Castle Ravenloft, confront Strahd, and are killed."

It seems to be a nod towards I6, but it's not set in stone. That I can see.
I missed a very specific note with this. My pdf DoD is different than my hard copy. The hard copy specifically states: (528) "Powerful heroes assault Castle Ravenloft, confront Strahd, and are killed. (House of Strahd)".

Assuming (my modules are and always were limited) HoS is updated from I6, then yes. This is a direct link in print.

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Five wrote:I missed a very specific note with this. My pdf DoD is different than my hard copy. The hard copy specifically states: (528) "Powerful heroes assault Castle Ravenloft, confront Strahd, and are killed. (House of Strahd)".

Assuming (my modules are and always were limited) HoS is updated from I6, then yes. This is a direct link in print.
Ah, yes. House of Strahd is the 2e update for I6, so yes, that would be a concrete link. (albeit one that could be broken pretty easily, if you're willing to).
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, since I prefer the 735 start personally, I will just change the Anchorite Tatyana to Ireena.

My main problem is with the "neighborhood" as I don't want Gundarak to exist, or the nightmare lands and Bluetspur in the core, or Dorvinia being different from Invidia etc. Thinking of it... I'll just move the adventure to pre-requiem and forget Ireena's grave that nobody really I play with will remember anyway.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Another note on the Van Richten thing. Esmeralda actually has the Van Richten Handout and read it as it is the only piece the survived him burning his information on his hunt for Strahd so he wouldn't be identified. So she would know he has unleashed zombies upon her people at least once before.... <.<' Which solved my problem of how she found out. :)

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

WotC's Mike Mearls just posted that Curse of Strahd is currently #6 on Publishers Weekly's hardcover fiction list. That's a damn impressive accomplishment -- and it shows that there's a hunger for non-FR material.

Here's the link: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/niel ... ction.html
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:WotC's Mike Mearls just posted that Curse of Strahd is currently #6 on Publishers Weekly's hardcover fiction list. That's a damn impressive accomplishment -- and it shows that there's a hunger for non-FR material.

Here's the link: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/niel ... ction.html
It's great news for those of us who would like to see more Ravenloft material, as well as more of the classic D&D settings come back for 5E.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

:shock:

If CoS pulled that, then I think there's a good chance that we will see some Ravenloft material from WotC, even if it is some expanded CoS guide or something in the future.
Also, it means 5e is selling extremely well and of course, that the cover's art was drawing throngs of people.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!