Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: RAVENLOFT: The One That Got Away, Chapter 3

Post by ewancummins »

THE MEETING

BENN'S PARLOR

kintire wrote:Kat shrugs

"I've never heard of any ashfalls, but I'll ask around if you wish."

She then listens closely to the briefing before frowning slightly.

"I've only heard of these shifter things in tales. Anything I should know about them? Also... young women of what appearance or kind? Please, I don't think this is the time for polite evasions..."

''He means lassies like you. Young and pretty, with a lovely head o' hair."

The hollow voice comes from the darkest corner of the parlor, where some furniture stands against a wall away from the sunlight shining through the window.

But nobody seems to be sitting there.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict snatches up his cane and wields it in the direction of the sound, barking the words to a Sanctuary spell.

"Reveal yourself, whoever you are," he calmly states.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict snatches up his cane and wields it in the direction of the sound, barking the words to a Sanctuary spell.

"Reveal yourself, whoever you are," he calmly states.

''You know me, Benn."

Shadows shift in the dark corner, though the light source hasn't moved.

The silhouette of a dwarf appears on the wall paper.

"You know me. I was Norzak's shadow. Now I'm Juergin's. Or he's mine. It's about the same. I've been watching you since last night, when the boy asked me to follow you and the gendarmes. Interesting stuff going on...Norzak would have wanted to go after Jon. Felt betrayed. But he was always too soft about the wenches and bairns."

The shadow creeps along the wall to squat under the window sill.

"Norzak was eaten by a shark. It hurt, being severed from him. I might have dissolved, but something kept me together. Can I count on that again? Maybe not. I don't want to lose another host. Partner. Whatever. The young one belongs to the shadows now...eheheheheee... in more ways than one. Now he wants to go, and that's a good idea. You leave him be, don't plant any dumb heroic notions in his skull. In return, I'll help you out with your investigation before we leave town. Deal?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Norzak was...eaten by sharks? And you're his shad..." Bennedict's eyes narrow. "I'm sorry, but this is too ridiculous. What do you have to offer our investigation? Do you have information? Maybe you know how those cyclops creatures your boy travels with knew that Maytr was nearby?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Norzak was...eaten by sharks? And you're his shad..." Bennedict's eyes narrow. "I'm sorry, but this is too ridiculous. What do you have to offer our investigation? Do you have information? Maybe you know how those cyclops creatures your boy travels with knew that Maytr was nearby?"

''You've already forgotten what happened on Gauntcliff? Our reunion?"

Adam wrote:At the boy's exclamation, Benn's jaw drops open and for a moment, he is struck speechless.

"Mein gott!" Benn finally exclaims. "Norzak...I had always wondered...how could this have happened?" Unconsciously, Benn's hand drifts back to his crossbow. "Where did you see him? How did you come to have his shadow?" His eyes narrow.

"What do you mean, 'deceased?'"
The shadow-dwarf chuckles dryly.
"Now, about information...I know what the boatmen were whispering about. An empty vessel washed up. A little blood maybe, but no other sign of the crew. Maybe that's worth something to you?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn still looks wary and he has not released his grip on the cane, ludicrous as the weapon may be against such an opponent. "What boat? I'm not sure what you're talking about."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Benn still looks wary and he has not released his grip on the cane, ludicrous as the weapon may be against such an opponent. "What boat? I'm not sure what you're talking about."
Dark One (as Benn recalls Juergin called the Shadow-entity) says,
''You've got a lot of questions. I'm happy to answer them all. But first, do we have a pact?"

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

As the voice speaks, Kat steps smoothly back from the chair and with one fluid movement her hand flashes down to the bag she had placed by her chair. Its a prettily decorated bag such as any young woman might carry, if larger than most. There is nothing pretty, however, about what emerges from it. The black hilted rapier looks all business, and quite well used. She levels the weapon at the voice.

As it moves, though and she sees no sign of any figure there, she takes a few more steps back, gaze never leaving the shadow.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:As the voice speaks, Kat steps smoothly back from the chair and with one fluid movement her hand flashes down to the bag she had placed by her chair. Its a prettily decorated bag such as any young woman might carry, if larger than most. There is nothing pretty, however, about what emerges from it. The black hilted rapier looks all business, and quite well used. She levels the weapon at the voice.

As it moves, though and she sees no sign of any figure there, she takes a few more steps back, gaze never leaving the shadow.

The shadow-dwarf does not seem to pay much attention to Kat--but it's hard to tell, with its face nothing more than a faint impression in a flat web of darkness.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We can agree to help each other for now, Dark One," Bennedict says. "If you remember much of Norzak, you know we didn't always agree with each other either. And, well, your current form and association with a child that brought monsters into my house doesn't entirely inspire confidence either. Offering us information I don't know is related to the case isn't much of a show of good faith." He lowers the walking stick, but doesn't release his concentration on the Sanctuary incantation. "Do you have some reason to think Maytr used it to reenter the city? Other than the fact that it was found empty, of course? Maybe you could let us know how the two cyclops creatures were able to tell that Maytr was outside last night?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"We can agree to help each other for now, Dark One," Bennedict says. "If you remember much of Norzak, you know we didn't always agree with each other either. And, well, your current form and association with a child that brought monsters into my house doesn't entirely inspire confidence either. Offering us information I don't know is related to the case isn't much of a show of good faith." He lowers the walking stick, but doesn't release his concentration on the Sanctuary incantation. "Do you have some reason to think Maytr used it to reenter the city? Other than the fact that it was found empty, of course? Maybe you could let us know how the two cyclops creatures were able to tell that Maytr was outside last night?"

''I don't know if the boat is important. Could be. Thought you might find it interesting. As for the little boogey-men....well...they are stupid creatures. But they've got some sort of special sense for the...hmmm...the thin and hollow places of the Land. From their jabbering, I think they saw not just a furry beast and smelled blood, but also felt something wrong with the streets, the buildings, the air. Something changed. They don't see it now, by the way, not in this neighborhood."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Do you think they could find him again? Maybe point us to his lair?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"Do you think they could find him again? Maybe point us to his lair?"

''Maybe if you tortured them. Ha! But Juergin would try to kill you, then. The little beggars are terrified of Maytr and won't get anywhere even remotely close to him. They just want to flee the city. Now, I do know one place you should look, after hearing all you've said... But I'm not giving that up until I have your word that you won't drag Juergin into this hunt. What say you?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sighs in irritation. "Very well, you have our word. I think most of us would be mistrusting of him anyways. But you should know that, if you are twisting or turning him towards the darkness, there may be a time in the future when we may need to come for him as we are now coming for Maytr, and your pain will be the least of our worries." He glowers. "Now, if you would be our ally, stop dangling things you 'might' know and tell us what you DO know."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict sighs in irritation. "Very well, you have our word. I think most of us would be mistrusting of him anyways. But you should know that, if you are twisting or turning him towards the darkness, there may be a time in the future when we may need to come for him as we are now coming for Maytr, and your pain will be the least of our worries." He glowers. "Now, if you would be our ally, stop dangling things you 'might' know and tell us what you DO know."
'' Go to the alley next to your house, and the street behind, where the boogey-men saw the beast creeping about. Make sure to look up. Check the rooftops."
The shadowy dwarf slides across the carpeted floor, making a wide circle around Benn and heading for the wainscoting of the wall nearest the side alley.
" And that's the third thing I've told you, two of which I gave you before you'd swear--so let's not have any complaints. I've helped you more than I had to do. No need to thank me--and I can see myself out. But remember your promise, Benn. Or Maytr won't be the only thing haunting your dreams."

The shadow darts into a little gap in the wainscoting, folding in on itself like crumpling paper.

It seems to be gone.