The Fall of House Pancrazio Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The Pancrazio family crypt is large. There are several chambers attached to each other by further descending hall ways.

The first chamber is where Luisa's new mahogany casket lies surrounded by six stone candle holders. Typically the casket of the newly deceased is lain out for a week in the first chamber and then acolytes from the church take the coffin to the chambers below. The crypt it not complex.

The light from Goran's torch makes out boot prints in the dust leading down the hall from the first chamber to the next. The light nearly reaches the next room for the hall is only 20 feet long. careful examination of the prints reveals that they are quite old.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

The carriage pulls up to House Pancrazio. Emilio is slow to depart the drivers seat, his old frame working against him. Indeed the elder Majordomo appears more exhausted than Harold can remember seeing in him.

"Roderigo is in the greenhouse I think. He has been for most of the morning. I believe Agna has prepared some cakes for mid afternoon snacking, but she may have been kept busy by Miss Magenta. Miss Phebe was still in slumber when I left to fetch you."

The lead horse on the carriage suddenly collapses. The carriage shakes a little, but does not fall. The other two horses back away from the fallen one. The beast shudders a bit and takes in a large breath. The beast exhales and dies.

"By Ezra!" Emilio put his hand to his mouth.
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

JMaytr wrote:The Pancrazio family crypt is large. There are several chambers attached to each other by further descending hall ways.

The first chamber is where Luisa's new mahogany casket lies surrounded by six stone candle holders. Typically the casket of the newly deceased is lain out for a week in the first chamber and then acolytes from the church take the coffin to the chambers below. The crypt it not complex.

The light from Goran's torch makes out boot prints in the dust leading down the hall from the first chamber to the next. The light nearly reaches the next room for the hall is only 20 feet long. careful examination of the prints reveals that they are quite old.
"Indeed, though it appears no one has entered here in sometime. There is a layer of dust cover Aunt Luisa's casket. I see no reason to go any further, we should return the manor and check out that tunnel we found last night. I believe we will find the answers we seek there." Julian says.

With out really waiting for a response form anyone Julian walks out of the crypt and waits outside for the others.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Tahl follows Julian out of the tomb after a quick(1) look around down there .

1.Search Of Secret Doors DM Rolls for these as per Elves PHB at +4 modifier for the checks .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

The ranger's body now almost dripping with sticky sweat, turns to leave, brushing his fingertips over the top of his grandmothers casket. Would it be wrong to open it? What harm could it do? Would it bring her dishonor, or show her our mistrust for her. Surely she would understand if it were her in our situation.

"Good cousin. I think while we are here we should open the casket to confirm she is actually there. You remember our earlier discussion, perhaps she was never there to begin with. Tristan if you would grab the opposite end." Goran reaches for the precipice of the casket lid, looking for a sure way to open it without committing harm to Luisa's resting place. He looks one last time, out towards the Champion of Ezra. Goran's eyes look for approval from Julian who he believes would know the best course of action.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan puts his pistol back into its holster and thrusts his enchanted torch into his belt. Then he moves to the end of the coffin opposite of Goran and takes hold of the heavy wooden cover with both hands.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

PathOfDreams wrote:The ranger's body now almost dripping with sticky sweat, turns to leave, brushing his fingertips over the top of his grandmothers casket. Would it be wrong to open it? What harm could it do? Would it bring her dishonor, or show her our mistrust for her. Surely she would understand if it were her in our situation.

"Good cousin. I think while we are here we should open the casket to confirm she is actually there. You remember our earlier discussion, perhaps she was never there to begin with. Tristan if you would grab the opposite end." Goran reaches for the precipice of the casket lid, looking for a sure way to open it without committing harm to Luisa's resting place. He looks one last time, out towards the Champion of Ezra. Goran's eyes look for approval from Julian who he believes would know the best course of action.
Julian crosses his arms in front of his chest turning his head to look back at his cousin. His one eyed stare is one of disapproval.

" I do not see a reason to open her coffin, it is disgraceful to both the dead and the living. There is no evidence to support any conjured thoughts of a fool jester that her coffin would be empty. I highly doubt a man such as Brother Calder would even allow such a thing, he is a priest of Ezra, a man of the light." Julian says.

Julian sighs before continuing "How ever cousin, I will not draw my blade against family. That being said if you so wish to open the coffin, I shall not stop you."

Julian turns his head back away from Goran and Tristan.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan looks across the coffin at Goran, a questioning look on his face.

Great, now they are at odds. I don't see why we shouldn't have a look. I'm sure poor old Luisa would want us to make certain she was really buried. If she isn't in this coffin, well, we will know something is terribly wrong.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

Agna continues to move dresses along, wondering what in this world would give Magenta what she wants -- to look innocent and somewhat plain. The dresses are in just about every color in the rainbow, and it's all she can do not to succumb to the temptation of "accidentally" brushing against lush velvet and silk or glimmering bullion. Only the thought of being stuck in the same room with the equivalent of a foul-mouthed adder keeps her on task. I wonder who the lucky gentleman is going to be, she thinks irritatedly. Maybe he'll be kind enough to feed her before he sends her home.

At last she finds a dress nearly buried by its flashier neighbors that might be adequate. A light-colored material, sprigged pattern, demure neckline and sleeves, only a little lace for adornment -- some of the unmarried daughters in Vor Ziyben were wearing something similar the last time Agna was in town. A strand of pearls is wrapped around the hanger, either carelessly stored or never worn.

Agna takes out the dress and hangs it carefully on a hook on the wardrobe door, untangling the pearl strand so it drapes neatly down the front. Averting her eyes to another corner, she turns and drops a quick curtsy, saying, "If that is all, Madame, please excuse me," and moves for the door.
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Looking over Tristan's shoulder towards his cousin, Goran hesitates while placing his blade on the floor of the crypt. "Julian, if you do not wish to smear your good credit as a Champion, than adjust you gaze as to not associate yourself"

Goran turns his eyes to fix on Tristan. In a hushed, almost solemn tone, "If you are willing, I am ready on your count."

The young ranger focuses his might in anticipation of Tristan's word. (1)

(1) I am not sure what check will be required. Request DM roll
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan pauses just a moment to think.

Well, I may have to explain my part in this to the Big Man later... I'm more concerned with finding out what's in this coffin than with Julian's religious sensibilities. Alright....

Tristan nods and squares his stance for lifting, his hands gripping the rim of the lid tightly enough that his knuckles turn white.

''On three-

one...

two...

THREE!''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Tahl looks on all the goings on of the humans with silent amusement in his hazel eyes, but if they are going to do something he will be on guard for any weird things that may happen when they do so .
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

As Tristan and Goran remove the lid to the casket they are greeted with a sight none of the assembled party was prepared for; Lying on the coffin bedding is an elderly woman in her late eighties. She is dead. It is Luisa Pancrazio. She appears no less than a week dead: she is not decomposed and there are no green worms about the corpse. Indeed, the body of Luisa shows none of the decomposition of the Luisa fiend the night prior.
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Goran briefly scans the casket for any strangeness. (1) He can feel his heart thudding behind his leathers.

"Everything in order on that end?"

Goran begins to adjust his grip to reset the heavy wooden cover...

(1) spot check by DM?
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

JMaytr wrote:"Roderigo is in the greenhouse I think. I believe Agna has prepared some cakes for mid afternoon snacking, but she may have been kept busy by Miss Magenta. Miss Phebe was still in slumber when I left to fetch you." The lead horse on the carriage suddenly collapses. The beast exhales and dies. "By Ezra!" Emilio put his hand to his mouth.
'Ezra!' Harold's thought echoes Emilio's words, but in a much less benevolent tone. 'Let the meddlesome old witch and her legion of lackeys stay in the Mists and not bother decent people!'

Despite the legion of little twinges this sets off in his body, Harold limps over to the dead horse as quickly as he can, draws a dagger and cuts the dead body loose from the tack, showing no consideration for the fine leatherwork in doing so -- and making sure not to touch the dead horse, either. "Pull the other horses back!" the ageing scholar shouts to Emilio. "Hurry, man, before they panic and cause damage!"

Without looking back at Emilio, Harold mutters words under his breath - words he hasn't used in a dog's age. "Hoc quod est occultus, video. Hoc quod est sordidus, video." Harold makes passes over the poor animal's body, almost as if he were praying for its departed spirit, but he is actually casting spells. 'It's been so long!' a small part of him exults. 'So very, very long! How could I have given up this glory, this feeling of glory, of coursing energies, bent by my own will?'

The answer's simple, though: he hadn't really needed to cast, so he ... hadn't. There were other things he hadn't really needed to do, things he hadn't really wanted to know. Besides, these Borcans ... Borcans would use anything to get what they wanted, when they wanted. That old Luisa, Harold was sure she'd had him watched the whole time he worked at her estate. Better to just seem - just be a doddering old scholar, rather than an arcanist, a seer. Borcans, bah! While he draws his energies back in, awaiting the information they'll yield him, Harold hesitantly calls on other abilities. 'Curse these Borcans for this mess, but I need to know what is happening. I need to know. To know. I want to know. I need to know, so yield to my gaze, oh world ...'

Briefly, Harold Noor closes his eyes. And opens another one. But it's been too long; the inner sight is overwhelmed, and a nasty headache stabs through Harold's head. Groaning, he cradles his head in his hands. "The stablemaster," the scholar croaks as he struggles to his feet, one hand still pressed to his left eye. "Take the horses to the stables, and have the stablemaster look at the one who died. We must ... we must know, we ...."

The old scholar pauses, then frowns thunderously. "Infamy!" he rages. "Willful neglect! Is there so little cash left in this household that there can be no hay for these poor animals? This one's been eating poisonous wildflowers! Tell the stablemaster to physic the lot of them, who knows how many others have eaten the stuff?"

Bristling like an enraged cat, Mouser hooting and flapping her wings agitatedly on his shoulder, Harold strides to the greenhouse. "I will come to the household after I have had a talk with its master," he calls to Emilio, his voice raw and hoarse like a raven's caw.

(OOC: Casting Detect Magic and Detect Poison. Wisdom check for Ethereal Resonance in the area: 2, so no joy there.)