POVERO Campaign OOC

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: P N Elrod

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote:Speaking of hit points, does anyone object to maximum hit points (by hit dice) at first level?
No offense and no disrespect meant by this but:
I laughed when I read that question. You can ask 1000 players and you won't find one to say "yes, I do mind, I want to die easily".
BTW, we DO play with "hovering at death's door" rule right? We need to get to -10 to die not at 0 hp, correct?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Speaking of hit points, does anyone object to maximum hit points (by hit dice) at first level?
No offense and no disrespect meant by this but:
I laughed when I read that question. You can ask 1000 players and you won't find one to say "yes, I do mind, I want to die easily".
BTW, we DO play with "hovering at death's door" rule right? We need to get to -10 to die not at 0 hp, correct?
Would be useful to know^ Used to playing -Con score but yeah. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Reiterating. (Not I) :lucas: Willing to learn and reading up on it. Think i'm about 50% done. Haven't gotten to money nor equipment. Trying to think of non weapon proficiency.

Found money.

[dice]0[/dice]

Times 10....

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I forget if editing a post messes with the dice rollers here so sorry for double post. That's 50gp?

Also I know THAC0 is a thing so I'll read up on that. I know it's "To hit AC 0" or something like that but I know it's confusing for some people so I'll try and get a handle on that here soon. Also is rolling low better? or high better?

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

tarlyn wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?
I have and my sister has. She may refuse to remember a single thing of it, but she has.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

alhoon wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many of us, less ewan and myself, have actually played 2nd edition tabletop? Maybe Varrus has?
I have and my sister has. She may refuse to remember a single thing of it, but she has.
Lol. I started back at 1e pretty much so I've played loads of 2e. pretty much my favorite one tbh. It is not odd if you take the time to get to know it. Lots is just math for THACo and the rest
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

tarlyn wrote: Lol. I started back at 1e pretty much so I've played loads of 2e. pretty much my favorite one tbh. It is not odd if you take the time to get to know it. Lots is just math for THACo and the rest
Think I came up with a system in my head that works for me. Not sure it's what other people do in there head to figure it out but basically if they have AC 5. I know that if I roll a 15 or higher I hit. (Assuming high roll is the better end of the scale) How I come up with that answer seems to be.... Y-X=Z. (X=What it says their AC is. Y=20. Z=what it is in terms I understand.)

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Yes, I will use the Death's Door rule.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Zilfer wrote:I forget if editing a post messes with the dice rollers here so sorry for double post. That's 50gp?

Also I know THAC0 is a thing so I'll read up on that. I know it's "To hit AC 0" or something like that but I know it's confusing for some people so I'll try and get a handle on that here soon. Also is rolling low better? or high better?
It works like this:

To hit : d20
Higher rolls are better!

If you want to use the THAC0 shortcut, you may. But there are also tables you can use.
AC gets better as it goes DOWN. A 0 in this edition is like a 20 in 3E.
10 an unarmored man.
A guy in plate with a shield has AC2.

So you roll d20 to hit. Add or subtract any modifiers.
Now subtract that roll result plus/ minus any modifier from your THAC0.
The result is the armor class you hit.

So let us say you have a THAC0 of 20. You roll a 17 to hit, and have no modifiers.
20 -17= 3.

You hit an armor class of 3 and any number higher (worse protection) than that.

If you had rolled a 10, you would hit a 10.
20-10=10

If you rolled lower than 10, you would need a positive modifier in order to hit a guy in combat.

Saving throws: d20 equal to or greater than for success

NonWeapon Proficiencies and ability score check: d20 equal to or lower than

Thief % skills: ditto, but d%
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Or in really simple terms

HIGH TO HIT and TO SAVE

LOW FOR SKILLS/ABILITY CHECKS

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Varrus the Ethical wrote:Okay, so Cleric for me. Ewan, I'm going to need that primer on this world's religions.
And so it shall be.

Info/ call coming tomorrow, time allowing.

I sleep now.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

OK since the trained dog doesn't cost much I will get a thief with a dog so it can do the track part and a kit that provides gather info and local. So he can be useful in both indoors and outdoors.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Just checking before sleep monster overtakes me, is everyone playing a human? That is perfectly fine. But Demihumans are okay, too. As noted, they will stick out in the city, but won't be treated like monsters.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Human for me.

In which city we will start? You said we will start in Grayhawk right?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!