BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW Prelude

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: BEYOND POVERO: CRABCLAW

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:OPEN DECK

Having cast a line over the poop deck, GERTIE enjoys a quiet moment angling in the estuary.

Quiet--until something big bites! BIG!
The thing in the water pulls so hard GERTIE skids against the rail along the stern. She drags her line upward.
It snaps, the sudden release throwing her off balance --- but she recovers her footing in an instant and doesn't fall.

Whatever she had on the line got off the hook. Peering into the foamy patch stirred by the struggle, Gertie cannot make out the fish.
If it was a fish...

The young lady grins, giggling to out loud "Whoaaaa! My favorite fishing rod.... Oh well," she says as she gathers it up "I can always buy another one in town."

Still looking over the side, she wonders aloud "That's not any fish that broke my line. I need a stronger rod."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:

Having cast a line over the poop deck, GERTIE enjoys a quiet moment angling in the estuary.

The thing in the water pulls so hard GERTIE skids against the rail along the stern. She drags her line upward.
It snaps, the sudden release throwing her off balance --- but she recovers her footing in an instant and doesn't fall.

Whatever she had on the line got off the hook. Peering into the foamy patch stirred by the struggle, Gertie cannot make out the fish.
If it was a fish...

The young lady grins, giggling to out loud "Whoaaaa! My favorite fishing rod.... Oh well," she says as she gathers it up "I can always buy another one in town."

Still looking over the side, she wonders aloud "That's not any fish that broke my line. I need a stronger rod."

Gertie hears footsteps behind her and isn't surprised when a weatherbeaten tar clambers up onto the poop to stand beside her.
The grey-haired man squints into the water, then looks at Gertie.
"Big one, lassie? "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
steveflam wrote:

If it was a fish...

Gertie hears footsteps behind her and isn't surprised when a weatherbeaten tar clambers up onto the poop to stand beside her.
The grey-haired man squints into the water, then looks at Gertie.
"Big one, lassie? "
Gertie nods at the man "Gosh darnit, it sure was! I am not even sure what it was. Broke my line, fair 'n' square, sir."

Realizing he probably knows a bit more about fishing than she does, she holds out her broken line for him to inspect. He may know more about fish too, come to think of it.

She explains what exactly happened.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

GERTIE
ON THE POOP DECK
WITH THE OLD TAR

After listening to her account, the old sailor tells Gertie,
"Sounds like you had a fight, so it wasn't likely a log or something like that. These waters here are half sweet. Stuff lives in 'em you'd find out at sea and also up the big river; fish, frogs, turtles, crabs. Some big ones. There's even supposed to be a real monster living down there--but that might be just another tavern tale. Ha!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:GERTIE
ON THE POOP DECK
WITH THE OLD TAR

"Sounds like you had a fight, so it wasn't likely a log or something like that. These waters here are half sweet. Stuff lives in 'em you'd find out at sea and also up the big river; fish, frogs, turtles, crabs. Some big ones. There's even supposed to be a real monster living down there--but that might be just another tavern tale. Ha!''
"Sounds like you know a lot about boats and fishing, if you ask me." Adjusting the goggles on her head, she smiles , then looks at the man.

"I really am not all for this sir and madam crud. My name is Gertie, and it is a pleasure to meet a person as knowledgeable as you." She does a lazy curtsy

then looks out on the water.

"You know , maybe you could help me? Once in town, I need to know where to purchase a fishing line and other items not commonly found in a merchants store."

She slips in a few words of Thieves Cant just to see if he understands any of the words. They are not talking at a loud volume.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:GERTIE
ON THE POOP DECK
WITH THE OLD TAR

"Sounds like you know a lot about boats and fishing, if you ask me." Adjusting the goggles on her head, she smiles , then looks at the man.

"I really am not all for this sir and madam crud. My name is Gertie, and it is a pleasure to meet a person as knowledgeable as you." She does a lazy curtsy

then looks out on the water.

"You know , maybe you could help me? Once in town, I need to know where to purchase a fishing line and other items not commonly found in a merchants store."

She slips in a few words of Thieves Cant just to see if he understands any of the words. They are not talking at a loud volume.

"Eh? What? Not sure I understood all of that...But my name's Brego. You asked about shopping for a line or a pole. I' m not sure who makes the best ones here, but I expect you can find out by finding out which tavern the fishermen favor and asking around in there. If you ask merchants, each one will claim his stock is the best, or point you to a relation who sells the poles and such stuff, if he does not."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

GERTIE
ON THE POOP DECK
WITH THE OLD TAR

"Thanks Brego! Much appreciated. You wouldn't happen to have another spare rod or line laying around would?", she asks hopefully, enthousiastic.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:GERTIE
ON THE POOP DECK
WITH THE OLD TAR

"Thanks Brego! Much appreciated. You wouldn't happen to have another spare rod or line laying around would?", she asks hopefully, enthousiastic.

''Hmm, no, sorry, haven't got a spare. Good luck to you getting that new line, lassie. I've got work to do. First, grog."

The sailor descends the poop deck by dropping gently over the side, landing on his bare feet. He makes his way across the open main deck to a spot amidships where a man doles out cupfuls of drink to a zig zag line of crewmen.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Fild tries to join the others. "Grog being passed around here? I would like a sip. Any luck with the fishing line Gertie?" he says as he goes to stand in line behind Brego.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Not really, Fild.... My line broke." she calls down to him. "Don't drink too much, now, or you might have a bad headache tomorrow morning, hee hee!"

The young lady likes how the Gnomes eyes look when it is dark out. She doesn't really understand why. Maybe because he is a special Gnome? At any rate she is glad

to have him as a friend.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

It's the first time Tom has ever been to a ship, he has just gone few times with his sister fishing. Despite he likes sea he prefers walking on solid ground. So when the Skipper said that they can go out to get supplies he says:

"I will be happy to get you these supplies sir."

He pats his dog's Gem head admiring how he can sleep regardless if they are on boat or elsewhere. Turning back to Skipper he asks:

"How much time do we have before we sail again?

Once they have the list he joins Gertie and Fild at the deck.

"Oh you broke the line, I bet that was a big fish! You need to get a new one Gertie."

Showing her the list he adds:

"Do you want to come with me to get these supplies? And some of our own. You heard the Skipper we need protection at this port. Fild we can wait for you after you finish your grog."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:It's the first time Tom has ever been to a ship, he has just gone few times with his sister fishing. Despite he likes sea he prefers walking on solid ground. So when the Skipper said that they can go out to get supplies he says:

"I will be happy to get you these supplies sir."

He pats his dog's Gem head admiring how he can sleep regardless if they are on boat or elsewhere. Turning back to Skipper he asks:

"How much time do we have before we sail again?

Once they have the list he joins Gertie and Fild at the deck.

"Oh you broke the line, I bet that was a big fish! You need to get a new one Gertie."

Showing her the list he adds:

"Do you want to come with me to get these supplies? And some of our own. You heard the Skipper we need protection at this port. Fild we can wait for you after you finish your grog."

"There's a few things not on that list I'd like to attempt to get. I think most of them will need to gotten alone, if you catch my meaning."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SHOPPING TRIP

The Skipper has informed Tom and the others that the vessel will not depart until after repairs are made and new supplies laid in--about two weeks.

Fild, Tom and any others of the party with a thirst get their grog. Not bad stuff.

Alfonse, of course, has brandy in the skipper's cabin, as befits a person of greater social standing than the gnome, half-elf, and the rest.

Now, ready with two shopping lists, one for the ship supplies and one for Gertie's personal wants, the party leaves the vessel in a rowboat and goes up onto the city quays, moving through a thin crowd of sailors, workers, traders, and others.

The wood and stone quays run along a narrow waterfront neighborhood with city wall rising above and beyond it. This area looks fairly crammed with small shops and sheds, hanging nets, wooden cranes, and the like. Sand spills out around the boardwalks--no paving stones here.

A woman whistles to Tom from within a rickety hut.
''Just come ashore, traveler? You look green. I've got the cure for seasickness."She lifts her skirts to the knee and turns slowly, waggling her rump at the half-elf

Gem barks, distracted by a tabby cat running past over the boardwalk.

A peddler-girl strolls near Alfonse, pushing a wheelbarrow sloshing with brine calls out ''Crabs, crabs, shellies, crabs and shellies, alive, alive!"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:SHOPPING TRIP

A woman whistles to Tom from within a rickety hut.
''Just come ashore, traveler? You look green. I've got the cure for seasickness."She lifts her skirts to the knee and turns slowly, waggling her rump at the half-elf

Gem barks, distracted by a tabby cat running past over the boardwalk.

A peddler-girl strolls near Alfonse, pushing a wheelbarrow sloshing with brine calls out ''Crabs, crabs, shellies, crabs and shellies, alive, alive!"
Gertie touches Tom's arm and steps behind him, whispering. "I'll go see that street -walker, maybe she can direct me to where I can purchase the items I want.

Be alert."

Gertie leaves the party momentarily, walking over to the whistling lady. Smiling at her, she speaks to her in a strange way. (Thieves cant)

"Evenin' miss." If the woman understands, Gertie will continue.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The harlot smiles at Gertie.
''I think you want the sailor's special, yes?"
She makes certain strange hand signs until Gertie recognizes these as a local variation on the Cant and can reply with a sign of recognition.
The message is simple--does Gertie want something to do with thievery?