Rune Magic in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rune Magic in Ravenloft

Post by Five »

I am currently backfilling some ideas for a non-RL campaign I'm working on and, given the chosen flavours and themes, Rune Magic got put into the pile. My game resources aren't much: Dungeons and Dragons Gazetteer 7: The Northern Reaches, Vikings Campaign Sourcebook, and Giantcraft.

While I was trying to pound these into a workable form I got to wondering if there is any rune magic in Ravenloft. I know Norse, Dwarven and Giant flavour is scant in RL, but there are some domains where rune magic could pop up or be inserted: Vorostokov, and Sanguinia by extension, are both perhaps best suited (runecasters replacing vistani, or more akin to ancient cousins?); Darkon (perhaps secretive dwarves who gather cyclically in the mountains?); a few bold/stubborn individuals weathering the storm(s) in Tepest (practising the "old ways"); a few wandering loner-type dwarves in the forests of Sithicus...

Has anybody brought rune magic into Ravenloft?

Where did or would you put it?

What, if any, dark twists/reversals/corruptions did you add to them?
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Rune Magic in Ravenloft

Post by Garudos Celestar »

In the FoS's Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer, their updates to Graben Island include a lot of runestones scattered as a remnant of the "old magic" prior to Nebligtode being pulled into the demiplane. Sounds like a good spot for someone to rediscover runic magic.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Rune Magic in Ravenloft

Post by Five »

Thank you. I'll be taking a look at that. Wasn't expecting a 400 + page gazetteer, but I'm sure it's rife with ideas I can pepper my brain with...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"