LOST TRAILS 4: Return to Monksblade

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 4: Return to Monksblade

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:The Governor looks at the map.
"Oh, yes, Vaasa. I know very little about it. Bloodstones come from that part of the world, I think. ''
"My homeland on our world is Nova Vaasa." replies Klokulf. "It could just be a coincidence, but after my conversation with the shrine-keeper at the Civic Temple, I am not so sure. He mentioned a deity here who I believe has representation in our world."

More quietly, he asks, "What can you tell me about Bane?"

She blinks.
"The Black Lord? Ah, well, his cult's not banned here or in Sembia but it is far from popular. We don't allow sacrifices of captives. Now, in Zhentil Keep, the Banite cult holds much power. It's the official religion. And priests of the Black Lord make up a powerful part of the Zhentarim. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Sacrifices of captives?" says Klokulf, taken aback. "I have never known that to happen. Execution of criminals perhaps, but not sacrifices."

He collects himself. "I don't suppose there are any open adherents to the . . . cult that I might find nearby? If I could learn how similar the Black Lord is between our worlds, it could have far reaching ramifications."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"Sacrifices of captives?" says Klokulf, taken aback. "I have never known that to happen. Execution of criminals perhaps, but not sacrifices."

He collects himself. "I don't suppose there are any open adherents to the . . . cult that I might find nearby? If I could learn how similar the Black Lord is between our worlds, it could have far reaching ramifications."
Samus says,
''Nearby? Well, I've had many reports of a Zhentarim enclave in Marsember. Where you find the Zhentarim, you find the cult of Bane. The Zhentarim... I suppose you must know nothing of them? They're most of them mercenaries and traders bound by secret oaths, allied with foul monsters and led by black priests and evil mages. They deal in all sorts of things--including slaves.''
Her expression hardens.
'' Sembia's an enlightened nation. We don't allow slavery at home or in our colonies. But I haven't yet caught any Zhents actually breaking the law by moving slaves through the Protectorate.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Indeed," says Klokulf. "I suppose this constitutes another reason to investigate Marsember, as well as a reason to avoid it."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"Indeed," says Klokulf. "I suppose this constitutes another reason to investigate Marsember, as well as a reason to avoid it."
Samus says,
''Hmmmm...If your party is really inclined to go to Marsember I suppose that I could help arrange transport. I would like a fresh, detailed report about goings-on there. "

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: ''Nearby? Well, I've had many reports of a Zhentarim enclave in Marsember. Where you find the Zhentarim, you find the cult of Bane. The Zhentarim... I suppose you must know nothing of them? They're most of them mercenaries and traders bound by secret oaths, allied with foul monsters and led by black priests and evil mages. They deal in all sorts of things--including slaves.''
"Certainly sounds like home... " Raen whispers.
When the Banites are mentioned, Raen looks at the governor (to avoid looking at Klofuff).
"To be open here, if we go there chances are we will get in a fight with this evil cult. From where I am standing the church of Bane sounds like the bad guys. The way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
In the not-small chance we will come to blows with these Slavers and canibals, How powerful are they?" Then he remembers something.
"Does this symbol remind you of anything?" he says and points to the inverted holy symbol of the Lawgiver.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As Raen speaks, Klokulf looks down at the map to avoid glaring at the wizard.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote: "Certainly sounds like home... " Raen whispers.
When the Banites are mentioned, Raen looks at the governor (to avoid looking at Klofuff).
"To be open here, if we go there chances are we will get in a fight with this evil cult. From where I am standing the church of Bane sounds like the bad guys. The way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
In the not-small chance we will come to blows with these Slavers and cannibals, How powerful are they?" Then he remembers something.
"Does this symbol remind you of anything?" he says and points to the inverted holy symbol of the Lawgiver.

''Yes, the Banites are wicked men and if I caught them doing ritual murders or slave-trading, I'd execute justice on them. But I haven't found proof linking them to such crimes in my jurisdiction. And... Sembia enjoys trade relations and a nonaggression pact with Zhentil Keep, one of the main centers of the Black Lord's cult. I owe the Council my loyalty as a citizen of the Sembian Republic and it was the Council that appointed me Governor here. You understand? My personal feelings don't really matter."
She shrugs.
"As far as strength goes, well...the Banite cult is unpopular here, as I'd said. Sometimes traders from Zhentil Keep pass through, and they all at least pay the Black Lord lip service. I suspect there are also some Zhentarim agents abroad in the land, but I don't have proof, just suspicions."
She looks at the symbol on Raen's robes.
''Hmm...well, spears aren't an uncommon sight and some militias and guilds and such no doubt use them in their sigils. But I can't say that particular image reminds of of anything important. What's it got to do with what we are talking about? What, or whom, does it represent? Your patron god?"

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf takes a deep breath, then puts a more pleasant expression on his face as he looks up from the table. "Regardless, if it is decided that we shall go to Marsember, I would be more than happy to maintain non-aggression and compose a report---the latter has been part of my job for years."

"As for that symbol," he continues, "It is almost the symbol of the Lawgiver." He rolls up his sleeve to reveal his holy symbol. "Why it appeared on his robe when I repaired it, I have no idea."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Klokulf takes a deep breath, then puts a more pleasant expression on his face as he looks up from the table. "Regardless, if it is decided that we shall go to Marsember, I would be more than happy to maintain non-aggression and compose a report---the latter has been part of my job for years."

"As for that symbol," he continues, "It is almost the symbol of the Lawgiver." He rolls up his sleeve to reveal his holy symbol. "Why it appeared on his robe when I repaired it, I have no idea."

''Ah. And this Lawgiver is your patron god, yes? Do you think there's a connection between your patron and a god in this world?"

She leans back in her chair and sips wine.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Klokulf presents a contemplative expression. "Answering that was the main focus of my inquiries with the shrine-keeper. It remains to be seen whether or not any of the options he presented bear more than a cursory resemblance."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:Klokulf presents a contemplative expression. "Answering that was the main focus of my inquiries with the shrine-keeper. It remains to be seen whether or not any of the options he presented bear more than a cursory resemblance."
Samus nods.
''I wish you good luck in finding out more."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: ''Ah. And this Lawgiver is your patron god, yes? Do you think there's a connection between your patron and a god in this world?"

Raen tries to say something but he stops before he utters a sound, takes a moment to think and simply says
"I don't have a good opinion on the Lawgiver, but I wouldn't say more about my misgivings to not offend his priest needlessy. Let's just say it is an intolerant religion.
Which brings me to the question, is worship of Bane illegal in this area or it is commiting acts such as ritual sacrifice in the name of anything that is illegal and some worshipers of Bane run afoul of this?
Is the worship of any God illegal in this protectorate? From the description I would guess worshipping anyone but Bane is illegal in that Keep."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote: ''Ah. And this Lawgiver is your patron god, yes? Do you think there's a connection between your patron and a god in this world?"

Raen tries to say something but he stops before he utters a sound, takes a moment to think and simply says
"I don't have a good opinion on the Lawgiver, but I wouldn't say more about my misgivings to not offend his priest needlessy. Let's just say it is an intolerant religion.
Which brings me to the question, is worship of Bane illegal in this area or it is commiting acts such as ritual sacrifice in the name of anything that is illegal and some worshipers of Bane run afoul of this?
Is the worship of any God illegal in this protectorate? From the description I would guess worshipping anyone but Bane is illegal in that Keep."
Samus says,
"The cult of the Black Lord is not illegal here in the Protectorate, no. Worship of demons and devils is banned. So is the cult of Malar. About the Banites, I must defer to the Overmaster and the rest of Council in Selgaunt, and in Sembia it is not an illegal cult. None of this means the Banites are allowed to do illegal things. If they capture and sacrifice a man, they'd be charged with murder and kidnapping. If they trade in slaves, they'd run afoul of our laws against slavery. But if they aren't caught doing any of that, yes, they can worship at their grim altars as they please. They bear watching."
She sets down her cup.
"As for Zhentil Keep, I don't know that much. But I've heard that a few other gods do have temples and shrines there. Not many, I think."

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:I wouldn't say more about my misgivings to not offend his priest needlessy. Let's just say it is an intolerant religion.
After the Governor finishes speaking, Klokulf looks to Raen and sardonically replies, "By your words then, calling my faith intolerant is a needed offense? I suppose I will have to review everything I have chosen not to say about wizards of late, in case any of those insults are mandatory."