LOST TRAILS 4: Return to Monksblade

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 4: Return to Monksblade

Post by ewancummins »

AT THE MEETING WITH THE GOVERNOR

Governor Samus meets the party in her offices in the Old North Abbey.

The rooms appear nicely-appointed, but not too fancy: a tapestry with a hunting scene, a carven and polished hardwood shelf lined with leather-bound books, a big heavy desk with brass furniture, and enough upholstered chairs for everyone to sit.
Afternoon sunlight shine through an amber-colored west-facing window on the right of the Governor’s desk.

She greets everyone with a friendly nod, and a smile for Klokulf. Not much formality.

“I’ll have food and drink brought up.”
Once her guests have made themselves comfortable, she goes on.
“I’ve been too busy to check in on your fellows these past few days. Administrative duties and reading scout’s reports.
But I said I’d help you get home if I could, and I have taken a stab at that.”
She opens her desk and removes some papers.
“These letters of introduction should help a lot if you decide to go to my home country, Sembia, and look for a sage or magician to help you. In Selgaunt or one of the other big cities you will find learned men and many more lore books.
Oh, and I did recall a scrap of lore that had slipped my mind, earlier, when you’d asked about portals. I’ve heard it said that Weathercote Wood holds enchanted pools that lead to other worlds. It could be nothing but an old fable. I don’t know. The Wood lies beyond Anauroch, the Great Desert.”
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks dubious, but notes down the Governor's suggestions in his notebook.

"I have had some success as well. A tale in the library of the fate of the boy king, Azoun V, and his disappearance. It resembles very much the sort of phenomena that I have seen in our home lands, with people being taken by mists and disappearing without a trace. Apparently an entire city was emptied out."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict looks dubious, but notes down the Governor's suggestions in his notebook.

"I have had some success as well. A tale in the library of the fate of the boy king, Azoun V, and his disappearance. It resembles very much the sort of phenomena that I have seen in our home lands, with people being taken by mists and disappearing without a trace. Apparently an entire city was emptied out."
The Governor blinks. She snaps her fingers.
"Ah! I suppose everybody in this region has heard some version of that story. Whatever it was, it really did happen. And you know, there might even be witnesses left alive. Many demihumans live much longer than true men..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen waits for his turn and then asks "How big is this desert you mentioned your excellency?" He doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic about crossing a "Great desert" that is probably many times larger than his homeland.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen waits for his turn and then asks "How big is this desert you mentioned your excellency?" He doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic about crossing a "Great desert" that is probably many times larger than his homeland.
''Anauroch has been growing for hundreds of years, slowly. But the east-west road the Zhentarim built runs more than four hundred miles east to west through the southern third, the hot and sandy desert region. And from the southern fringes through sand dunes and then over wind-cut rock and up the the High Ice...that's maybe five hundred miles south to north. The High Ice extends even farther north. How far, I don't know. Travelers from that far north hardly ever come to the Inner Sea lands, but those who do tell of glaciers driving over the land, grinding down anything in their path."

She gestures toward the bookshelf.
"I have some bound maps. I'd have to check, but I'd say the distance from here to Weathercote Wood must be something like seven hundred miles, and that's as the crow flies. Mountains, woodlands, settled country, desert between here and there... I'm not sure the direct route would be the fastest way.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/w ... ge_150.jpg

She will show the party a large, somewhat old but basically accurate at the macro-scale, map from one of her books.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Four hundred miles in hot desert, and 700 miles as the crow flies, is a bit too much. I have no knowledge of those groups you mentioned, your grace but 2 weeks in the desert sounds deadly. I think we should explore the other options you've presented. What do you think Bennedict?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"Four hundred miles in hot desert, and 700 miles as the crow flies, is a bit too much. I have no knowledge of those groups you mentioned, your grace but 2 weeks in the desert sounds deadly. I think we should explore the other options you've presented. What do you think Bennedict?"
''There are other routes you could take. You need not ever set foot in the desert. But going around it means a longer way. You could reach Weathercote Wood from the west or the south.''

She shrugs.
''The pool portals might only be a legend. I don't know. If you want to go to Marsember instead, that's much closer. A hundred miles, but further on the roads. A coaster could take you pretty quickly--but I'm not sure if you can find an honest captain willing to put in at such a port. Marsember is worse than Westgate; half in ruins and monsters outnumber men. Monsters rule the city, in fact. ''

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

ewancummins wrote: half in ruins and monsters outnumber men. Monsters rule the city, in fact. ''
Raen sighs... "Sounds like home."
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:
ewancummins wrote: half in ruins and monsters outnumber men. Monsters rule the city, in fact. ''
Raen sighs... "Sounds like home."
The Governor says,
''Does it? Some people might prefer staying here...But I understand. Family, friends. Maybe enemies. And home is home, after all."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict takes out his magnifying glass to look at the map.

OOC: It's super small when I click the link.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf begins pointing at a few things, saying, "So this is Marsember here, and that is Anauroch there. It looks to me as though one could first examine Marsember, then travel north a ways and skirt the southern edge of the desert toward Weathercote Wood. The expedition would still require off road travel and be a very long way. It may be more prudent to look elsewhere before chasing a myth, but I suppose all leads at this point are akin to chasing smoke."

As his gaze wanders across the map, his brow furrows as he catches sight of something further to the east of the desert. "Does that say Vaasa?" he says, jabbing his finger toward another region.

OOC: I found the full scale version, but it used the same link and sent me to a small image when I accessed it from here. Instead, click where it says "full resolution" under this map to get the image we are trying to see: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/F ... n_-_3E.jpg
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote: As his gaze wanders across the map, his brow furrows as he catches sight of something further to the east of the desert. "Does that say Vaasa?" he says, jabbing his finger toward another region.

The Governor looks at the map.
"Oh, yes, Vaasa. I know very little about it. Bloodstones come from that part of the world, I think. ''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:The Governor looks at the map.
"Oh, yes, Vaasa. I know very little about it. Bloodstones come from that part of the world, I think. ''
"My homeland on our world is Nova Vaasa." replies Klokulf. "It could just be a coincidence, but after my conversation with the shrine-keeper at the Civic Temple, I am not so sure. He mentioned a deity here who I believe has representation in our world."

More quietly, he asks, "What can you tell me about Bane?"